By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii Fit will trump Halo 3's opening week sales

lol i hope wiishit will flop

Around the Network

youve offically gone insane

i can gladly pronounce that wii fit will not beat it on some facts

lets say a very good chunk of wii owners in Japan also possess a ps3, now as we can see on these forums, ps3 owners complain about the simple task of getting off their ass and changing discs, they complain about how this is next gen and they should be able to sit on their ass all day and not move, now why would they get something that would actually make them EXERCISE!

hehe just a little joke

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

Does anyone really think that the people who are into "Wii Fit" are going to be the ones pre-ordering and awaiting launch day?

I personally don't...

Even if Wii Fit is able to get the attach ratio and....the game is the type of game to outsell Halo 3 (Very big ifs)
Its not going to do it in the firs tweek... thats just insane to think that. Wii's first week numbers are already not insane because its audience isn't the type to pre-order and know whats comming out months in advance.

picsouuu said:
lol i hope wiishit will flop

uncalled for and reported

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

JohnLucas: This latest prediction is a conscious ignoring of reality. Retaillers will not order this many units. Nintendo will not prepare to make this many. There will not be an insane amount of pent-up demand for this game. All of that is brazenly obvious, but you have ignored it, maybe just for attention, or maybe because you really, truly are an idiot.

For my purposes, I'll say Halo 3's worldwide opening week is exactly 3.8 million.

For reference, the original Brain Training has yet to sell 3.8 million within Japan, More Brain Training reached 3.8 million in it's 53rd week, Animal Crossing DS took 58 weeks, New Super Mario Bros. took 31 weeks, and Pokemon D/P did it in only 12 weeks. Wii Sports and Wii Play will obviously take far longer than any of those.

Counter-prediction: Wii Fit will take at least six months (26 weeks) to pass Halo 3's worldwide opening week in Japan alone.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network

I like the prediction, very bold of you to make it. However I don't think it will come to pass, not in the time line you've specified. In this case, Wii Fit is going up against an established IP that has been growing in popularity ever since its inception. Wii Fit is new and might not become popular until after the initial week of release. Although, the Japanese love to try out new things and when something is hot, they will all want one. It would be funny to see this happen.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

Wow John, you've made some outlandish predictions but this one has no chance coming to fruition. I advise you against posting after a late night bender. I mean if you were any more out side of reality with this prediction you'd be a professional analyst. Oh Wedbush Morgan just asked me for you resume'.

I could see WiiFit doing 750K or even a million, yesterday my mum asked me to pre-order WiiFit so I believe there is a good chance that there will be a big pre-order for it, but 3.8 Million in the first week in Japan alone is .....mindblowingly impossible.

Clearly Nintendo has been producing WiiBoards for a few months now but could they really create 4 million by December?

Still if you are correct I'll happily eat crow (and enjoy it) with everyone else at this table

My prediction:
First Week 500K - 1 million
First Month 1.5 - 2million
And thats with Nintendo Faith set to max

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

I'll join you on the looney train John, but with one catch.

I agree that WiiFit's first week in Japan could outsell Halo3 first week worldwide, if and only if Nintendo can produce and distribute 4mil WiiFit boards the first week.

I think stock is the only problem with your prediction. Personal I would like to see Nintendo have 5mill ready the first week and prove everyone wrong, but it is not going to happen.

johnlucas said:
superchunk said:
I would've picked Super Smash Bros. or Super Mario Galaxy as the best chances of doing that, on a WW level though, not a single region, and I don't think any of them will do it either.

Unfortunately I think this is impossible.

Halo 3's first week WW was about 3.7m units sold.
Right now Japan's Wii user base is about 3.7m.
By end of year I have Japan predicted to be about 6m.
So, that means Wii Fit would have to sell more than 50% of the Wii's user base in its first week. Has this ever happened to any game in history? I don't think so.

North America.

Nintendo Wii.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

November 19 through November 26, 2006.

75% attach rate in first week.

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2006/11/27/wii-sells-600000-in-one-week-zelda-attach-rate-is-75.htm

John Lucas

hmm. All right you got me there, nice find.

But, that is the launch of the Wii when there were relatively few units. I guess we will have to see come this xmas.