By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which console is best for downloadable classic games?

Neoraf said:

Lol Kantor... you don't know what you're talking about:

The Xbox 360 = Classic Games on XBLA

Look at the list of games available: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_Live_Arcade_games
and 80% of these games are playable online with friends (multiplayer).

You miss a game? You'll probably find it on XBLA...
Super Nes games... Genesis games... Dreamcast games... etc...

For classic games, this is the ranking:

1- XBLA
2- VC
3- PSN

Oh.

*edits*

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
WereKitten said:
For abandonware or titles you already legally own in some format, there's always PS3->install Linux in secondary partition->tons of emulators

Thats true, there is that... but its a bitch to do imo, so...

Still like you said its an option... just a veru iffy one..

True, it's not for everybody, but chances are that if you ever bothered installing and setting up emulators on a PC you'll also be able to go this way. And then you'll have an unlimited catalog ranging from c64 and Spectrum to NES, SNES, Megadrive, Amiga and thousand of arcade games through MAME.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

If you only like the 16 bit era then wii's VC is the clear winner.

Xbox 360 second (and a lot of their classic games have online multiplayer) Streets of Rage 2, Double dragon, Ultimate mortal kombat 3, Doom, Golden axe, Sonic 2 & 3 (with knuckles to come)

Distant third...... well, ps3.

The Wii's VC.

Play my LittleBigPlanet level: Mystic Runner. Thanks!

why would buy a PS3 to instal emulators when he could do just as well (if not better) on his PC?

PC really is the best choice but that would also be illegal for the most part... (unless you own the games, and even then...)

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network

The VC on the Wii is awesome, thats one of the reasons why Wii is my favourite console.

wii> xbox360 in classic games by far unless you want online gameplay and updated graphics.

I can understand the online part, but why would anyone want updated graphics for classic games? I play those for the nostalgia...

I will have to say, PS3/PSP for all PS1 games
XBLA (and some PSN) for all remakes that have upgraded graphics

Wii VC .... I am not that fond of as the prices are outrageous in my opinion. There is NO improvement (they are straight ROMs) and you need yet ANOTHER controller to play them.

However, some of these games are only available on Wii VC so .. its up to you.

I would agree that the Wii Virtual Console has a great list of older games.

But I will go a long to say that I think that LIVE arcade has a great list too. It almost seems that Xbox 360 gets a revamped version of older games most of the time.

XBOX LIVE: macr0planet

PSN: MacroPlanet_DSGN

Steam: MacroPlanet

Modern Warfare 2 - Uncharted 2 - Assassin's Creed 2 - Mass Effect 2 - Alan Wake - Forza 3 - Splinter Cell: Conviction - God of War 3

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Neoraf said:

Lol Kantor... you don't know what you're talking about:

The Xbox 360 = Classic Games on XBLA

Look at the list of games available: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_Live_Arcade_games
and 80% of these games are playable online with friends (multiplayer).

You miss a game? You'll probably find it on XBLA...
Super Nes games... Genesis games... Dreamcast games... etc...

For classic games, this is the ranking:

1- VC
2- PSN
3-XBLA

I agree with you!

lol yeah so don't I!!!

Honestly though I do not need a home console for classics. If you count the NES, SNES, GB, Genesis, GBA and PS1 games that I currently have on my PSP memory stick it would probably be more than 500. The ultimate gaming library, on the go, at my fingertips.