By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New 40 GB PS3 Info (be prepared for moans and groans, it'll be painful)

outlawauron said:
^ you were wrong about there being no backwards compatability.

Why, because a certain website wrote something wrong?

"It will also lose the backwards compatibility chip, although this isn't likely to affect UK customers, as in Europe backwards compatibility is done via software"

Sony has already said that's not true, check the "backwards compatibility" thread. The GS (PS2's GPU) is present in the European PS3 and the 80 GB American one too.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
outlawauron said:

Damnit, NJ5, you are one quick son of a ... "shut yo mouf"

Yes, the article is misinformed. Europe has the GS chip for the PS2, so the emulation is done half software, half hardware. Removing the GS chip would mean full software backwards compatibility, similar to what the 360 does for Xbox games. 

@NJ5

you seem hell bent upon KILLING any rumors that BC might be there

what gain will you as a "gamer" get from Ps3 failing n competition decreasing??

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

Dolla Dolla said:
outlawauron said:

Damnit, NJ5, you are one quick son of a ... "shut yo mouf"

Yes, the article is misinformed. Europe has the GS chip for the PS2, so the emulation is done half software, half hardware. Removing the GS chip would mean full software backwards compatibility, similar to what the 360 does for Xbox games.

I'm trigger happy today ;)

Yes, either that or no compatibility at all, which looks more likely right now...

Well, we'll find out soon enough, aren't they announcing it tomorrow?

Around the Network
darthdevidem said:
@NJ5

Not at all. I'm just sick of myths. Not just this one but some other ones too (for example the "currency converting" one).

If you have seen any rumour that BC will be there DESPITE these myths, I'm interested to hear about them, because it would at least be something new!

W29 said:
Soriku said:
www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8078754&postcount=1683 No chrome strip No memory card reader Smaller 40 GB hard drive 2 USB ports instead of 4 No ethernet cable included in the box No PS2 backwards compatibilty --- If the other ones were bad (they were bad), the last one must have screwed us all. Dude, no PS2 BC? Do you know how many sales that'll turn away? The one thing Sony (might've) done right they hammer us to where we were before. Is Sony TRYING to be 3rd? Come on...

Soriku you seriously need to fix your sig, its way to long. Try to not do double spaces and do single spaces that helps.

On Topic: That is bull. I'm not getting the PS3 40GB now. I will wait till they bring the 60GB or 80GB down in price. Thats just a rip-off. MaryJane wouldn't like it either. Its nothing but a plain console. Unlike the 360 Elite, it comes with a 120GB HDD, new heatsink, HDMI cable, ethernet cable, wireless controller, Component cables, and a headset and the best online interface Xbox Live. Now that is worth $400, or should I say $450.

Sony needs to seriously rethink their strategy cause its horrible. I hope its a rumor and are these SKU's going to have the new Dual Shock 3 controller or do you have to buy it seperate?

Cost = $449. 

Wireless add $100, HD-DVD drive adds $179, have to buy rechargable batteries, the quick recharge kit costs 30 and XBox Live is $50.

The first two items are high up on Amazon's best sellers so people are spending the money.

Overall, 360 simularly equiped to a PS3 is about $808. The 360 is way to expensive compared to the PS3 at the top end.

darthdevidem said:
@NJ5

More room to troll I guess.  NJ5 is all over the bad news.  I hope he's getting paid for it cause I couldn't imagine someone with nothing better to do.

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

Andir said:
darthdevidem said:
@NJ5

More room to troll I guess.  NJ5 is all over the bad news.  I hope he's getting paid for it cause I couldn't imagine someone with nothing better to do.

Ya know!! lol its a dam shame some people are just hell bent on killing a company.. talk about fanboyism.. GEt REAl

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

So I'm the troll, but what about you guys, who have contributed with nothing to the thread except insults?