By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Uncharted 2 vs Halo 3:ODST

lets not get into list wars, both consoles have their games. It's all about what you want. More people simply like halo and gears. It doesnt matter what system has the better games, its about popularity.

gaming, like music and film is opinion based, sony just has to ride it out. If you're like me, don't try and fool yourself thinking the ps3 is going to blow the 360 out of the water because it never will. With a price cut, it will become even, maybe dip above with the release of its amazing games over the next year or 2, but its not going to over take.

Sony is in third place, that's just the way it is. I appreciate and respect the way they are handling it though. They are really keeping in the ring and are still releasing the most diverse and unique set of new IPs any publisher is. You have to give them credit for that. Sony will not die, the PS3 will not die, and it will only become more attractive to purchase in the coming years. with a price cut to 299 or lower, it will definitely see a huge hardware boost, no one will deny that.

Around the Network
rckrz6 said:

People who own a 360 can't afford a ps3?   Whats a hundred more dollars.   A part of next weeks paycheck.  Lets be serious now.  People who own a 360 cant find enough reasons to buy a ps3 @ 400 is more like it.  Sounds like a complete waste of money when i already have a console.

Funny but its other way around for me....when I see a 360 I find it as a waste of money since I alrdy have a PC why spend another $300 when you can alrdy play its games on PC which you alrdy have.

Being in 'third place' has not much sense for corporations. Their goal is making profit, they're not making a contest at school. Ferrari is maybe in 50th place in car sellers, that's just not their goal to sell more than Ford. Their goal is maximizing profit. So is Sony's goal.

I already said I thought every console was doing okay right now, with the Wii doing great. I don't think any console is doomed and neither one will die before years, there is no Saturn this gen.

I just said I thought PS3 would ultimately be first (or second behind the casual 'Wii') in the long run due to the exclusive content.

Nothing more.

@kowenicki : the point is if you decide to make your product more expansive, of course you sell less products BUT you make more profit. The analogy makes sense.

Of course right now they're still not profitable on hardware, but they're close, and they're definitely closer BECAUSE they're selling it at a higher price point.

bevochan said:

Who wins?  Regardless of which game sells more, will Uncharted 2 move sales of PS3 console ahead of Xbox360?  At least temporarily?

Uncharted is AWESOME, but it is a title that you consider if you won a PS3.  It isn't a title you buy a PS3 to play.  Almost all of Sony's exclusives are like that.  They cater to Playstation brand fans.  A few exceptions would be the likes of Gran Turismo, their MLB series, and possibly Socom. God of War is a MAYBE there also.  But Uncharted, Ratched and Clank, Team Ico, and others, don't move sales of consoles.  Even Killzone 2 hadn't done that.  And MGS is unto itself.

It is best to stop expecting Playstation exclusives to have the impact you think they will, because you set yourself up for disappointment by doing that.

Around the Network

hmm.. I'm not sure if Halo:ODST will push much hardware, but it will sell 6million+ units

Uncharted 2 seems to get a whole lot more spot-light by magazines/websites than it's predecessor , so I think a higher percentage of new users might pick up the PS3 for the game, but it's total sales will likely be 3million+, so with half the percentage of new console buyers Halo:ODST would have pushed the same total amount of hardware

price cuts will push more hardware than both games combined (although they enrich the backcatalogue of games for each platform and therefore always will be one of many reasons to pick up a console)

Tony_Parker said:
@scee : Yeah, ultimately, when you ban everybody who disagrees with you, you can feel less insecure for some time.

Then again, that's what nazis did. Plus, reality always catches you back later.

@Kowenicki : What ? When did I say I disagreed with VG numbers, I don't understand. I don't know how accurate they are, but it's offtopic here.

Godwin's law catches up with us, and Tony_parker loses...

Tony_Parker said:
Since the price cut, 360 definitely outsold the PS3. I'd say it crushed it in last holidays sales.

Right now though, as you can see on the different graphs, the sales are close between PS3 and 360.

They will stay like that until the PS3 price cut (probably soon), then it will back to PS3 winning hands down like before.

Thanks.

Mr Parker. Please open your eyes a little. The PS3 was winning before pricecut due to MGS4 release and BC PS3 bundle. Before MGS4 + bundle release the 360 was regularly topping PS3 WW.

Sony have confirmed they cant cut PS3 price because they would be losing money if they did. And that means by the time the year is over the 360 will likely have a 11 million lead.

360 has already outsold PS3 WW from Jan 09 - June 09 by 750,000

750 k is absolutely nothing when the installed bases are between 20 million and 30 million.

Holiday sales are what will matter for this year like for the other years.

Tony_Parker said:
750 k is absolutely nothing when the installed bases are between 20 million and 30 million.

Holiday sales are what will matter for this year like for the other years.

All the other years show that the X360 can match or beat the PS3. So that 750k lead is rather important.

PS3 Launch Year - VGChartz Hardware data for the period 01st Oct 2006 to 30th Dec 2006:

Console PS3 X360
Total

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 30th Sep 2007 to 29th Dec 2007:

Console PS3 X360
Total

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 28th Sep 2008 to 27th Dec 2008:

Console PS3 X360
Total

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)