By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - My problem with Project Natal.

^You can use usb and bluetooth mice, trackballs and keyboards on consoles if the software supports them. Of course using a keyboard on a couch is terribly uncomfortable, but replacing the keyboard is the real problem with Natal, more than moving the cursor.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Around the Network

@WereKitten - Two pointers. That is one benefit of Natal. Speed is another benefit. Combine the two and you can get some very complicated things going on. Onscreen buttons could replace keyboard commands. One hand is touching these buttons while another is moving units. Without a mouse having been invented, would the RTS genre have never been created? Were RTS games a function of the mouse being available? I would say yes to both. So RTS is a good indication of an input device providing the means for a new genre.

Additional motion needed by your body would be a negative. Some people do not like flailing about. But as can be seen by the Wii. It is tolerated by the masses.

Natal is NOT just about 3-d motion tracking. It is about the entire package of vocal, gesture, facial recognitions plus the 3-d motion tracking put in one device with one API that requires no additional processing from the platform. This is very enabling for developers.

They are wanting Natal to be used mainly for intuitive interaction with a television. Not necessarily for games as I have described several other uses, such as educational, physical, and business. It encompasses all of the elements of human expression in one device. Physical, audible, and visual. I guess it doesn't encompass smell, but that will probably come in due time. If I am displeased with something in a game, I can flick it off, say something deragatory, and have an angry face. Natal could detect every single one of those actions and provide a developer the means to execute a reaction to those actions. What that could be used for, I don't know, but it is there for people creative enough to embrace it. I don't know about you, but a game that reacts to vocal tones and facial gestures while I am playing would blow my mind. Sure this could be done already, but developers would have to combine several technologies and pay for them if they do not want to develop them themselves. Let alone require the client to have hardware that does both. And then the software would be taking the performance hits and not the hardware. So you will lose in either the gameplay or graphics department. Natal will be a very enabling device for developers. We shall see what exactly developers can create with it.

richardhutnik said:
WereKitten said:

^I don't understand what Natal - as you prospected - would add to RTS gaming over what can be accomplished today with mice, keyboards and microphones. Hand motion sensing as a substitute for mouse could work on consoles, though I'd like to test it, but vocal and gesture commands can only clumsily replace a keyboard.

All of this is not important anyway, because that's not the gist of Natal. Voice control is just windows dressing and is already available (and used in some RTS games).
The whole new thing is full body motion control and the "you're the controller" philosophy, and my question about needs was about the tool not the games.
As in: did any RTS developer ever say "we need a tool to control this kind of games, I wish somebody would make a skeletal motion control system"? Retrofitting it to game genres that did not seem to need it in the first place is an interesting thought exercise, though how good the results are is to be tested, but that's not where Natal came from.

Take other "exotic" controllers (cloches and whole instrumental consoles for flight simulators, 3d twist orbs for mechanical CAD software) and it is clear why they were born. With Natal I'm not sure, because I still have not understood to what point they want to push it as a general/universal tool and to what point it will be a specialized tool.

For CONSOLES.  Consoles don't have RTS titles, because the pad controller sucks for them.  With the ability to point on screen, you have the ability to point and order units that way.  That is what I was asking and hoping for.  Consoles don't have mouse and keyboard at this time.  Instead, they have pad controllers, which SUCK.  I like RTS titles, and haven't found any I am happy with.  EndWar is its own beast, but not what I am expecting.

And if anyone gives me "Halo Wars" as a great example, I am going to tell you I don't need a "My first RTS" version of an RTS.

Wouldn't it be "Lego Halo Wars", if available?     

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

WereKitten said:
^You can use usb and bluetooth mice, trackballs and keyboards on consoles if the software supports them. Of course using a keyboard on a couch is terribly uncomfortable, but replacing the keyboard is the real problem with Natal, more than moving the cursor.

They have to specifically code console RTS games to use these.  And, as far as I know, they don't.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
richardhutnik said:

And if anyone gives me "Halo Wars" as a great example, I am going to tell you I don't need a "My first RTS" version of an RTS.

Wouldn't it be "Lego Halo Wars", if available?     

No, that is "My First RTS... For Dummies"

Around the Network

I personally think NATAL will be great for changing channels on a TV or changing volume levels on an amp but as a games device NOT A CHANCE! It'll end up a glorified Universal Remote thats about it

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

ok for the million time you guys do realise MS had a motion controller and motion ctroled game before the Wii was even a thought and before eyetoy right ???? so where is your problem ????

richardhutnik said:
WereKitten said:

They have to specifically code console RTS games to use these.  And, as far as I know, they don't.

Same as Natal, that was the point.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

JaggedSac said:

Natal is NOT just about 3-d motion tracking. It is about the entire package of vocal, gesture, facial recognitions plus the 3-d motion tracking put in one device with one API that requires no additional processing from the platform. This is very enabling for developers.

They are wanting Natal to be used mainly for intuitive interaction with a television. Not necessarily for games as I have described several other uses, such as educational, physical, and business. It encompasses all of the elements of human expression in one device. Physical, audible, and visual. I guess it doesn't encompass smell, but that will probably come in due time. If I am displeased with something in a game, I can flick it off, say something deragatory, and have an angry face. Natal could detect every single one of those actions and provide a developer the means to execute a reaction to those actions. What that could be used for, I don't know, but it is there for people creative enough to embrace it. I don't know about you, but a game that reacts to vocal tones and facial gestures while I am playing would blow my mind. Sure this could be done already, but developers would have to combine several technologies and pay for them if they do not want to develop them themselves. Let alone require the client to have hardware that does both. And then the software would be taking the performance hits and not the hardware. So you will lose in either the gameplay or graphics department. Natal will be a very enabling device for developers. We shall see what exactly developers can create with it.

Ah ok.  Just like the mouse was not created with the intent of making the RTS genre possible, Natal has the possibility of spawning new genres without the express intent to create them.  It should be considered a very handy tool in which to approach interactive possibilites.

My problem with Natal can be seen on my sig.

And majority of the people already agreed that the camera is doubtfull to surpass the Eye Toy Camera on PS2 in this thread of mine: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=78191

but who knows???? :)