By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - My problem with Project Natal.

richardhutnik said:

I am not going to discuss how well it works, or whether or not Elmo, Leroy or whatever that AI kid's name was, is real.  I also am not going to discuss price point, and whether or not it is fragmented.  My problem in this post is pointed at something different.

Up until this E3, we have had the Wii made fun of for "Waggle" on here.  We are told by the hardcore folks that it is a fad, will fail, and not the future.  It is considered a gimmick.  Now, after E3, what is the talk?  Well, now Microsoft supposedly invented (or reinvented) motion control, and it is going to be HUGE.  Natal is now the future, and who needs controllers.  In other words, it tries to one up Nintendo and make people forget what Nintendo did.

This annoys me a LOT.  If it wasn't for Nintendo doing the Wiimote, we wouldn't even being discussing motion control.  Now, without even having a product or price point for the product (ok, I do mention these in a context, but can't say if the price will be wrong), they are now supposed to be kings of motion control with a product that eveyone will want?  It is the answer to casual players eveywhere and non-players.

Anyhow, it will be cool if Natal works, but can we knock off this talk like Microsoft invented motion control?  It is a futile cry on my part.  XBox fanboys will be yammering how exciting it is though, so there is no escape.

By the way, I am NOT bashing motion control itself here.  I will personally throw a Wii remote at anyone who demands it go away.  I refuse to be subjected to videogame bowling with a pad controller.  I just tried to bowl in GTA4 on the 360 the other night, I say the world is better off without it.  Same with bowling on Home.

What annoys me a LOT is your stealth bashing of Natal in your first couple of sentences without even giving us room to adress your criticism - since you're claiming to be such a fair and honest person, who thinks we X360 fans should give credit where credit is due.

Around the Network

I don't think it's stealth bashing. He's just clearing up what aspect of Natal he wanted to talk about. I would say he's lucky he didn't discuss all those things otherwise this thread would have been flame bait a long time ago.

nitekrawler1285 said:
I don't think it's stealth bashing. He's just clearing up what aspect of Natal he wanted to talk about. I would say he's lucky he didn't discuss all those things otherwise this thread would have been flame bait a long time ago.

Yes yes, but I wanted to kill his thread lol. Because we Xbox fans don't have to be so generous as to admit that MS didn't (re-)invent motion controls.

It's unnecessary to be self-critical in this case. I mean, the Sony fanboys wouldn't do it, they would hype Natal as a huge revolutionary invention by Sony if they had got it. ^^

I just hope that Natal become successful so that the next batch of new similar product will be even more amazing.

HappySqurriel said:

My problem with the insane levels of hype is this ...

As much as the technology behind the Nintendo DS' touch screen, the Wiimote, the Wii Fit balance board, and the MotionPlus were interesting pieces of hardware with a lot of potential when they were released what really drove adoption of this hardware was Nintendogs, Brain Training, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, and dozens of other games that appealed to a very broad group of gamers.

When you look at what Microsoft has accomplished since entering into the videogame market, (with the exception of a couple of games) Microsoft has been unable to produce anything except for shooters and racing games; and every game targeted towards a broad demographic of gamers (Banjo Kazooie, Kameo, Viva Pinata, Lips, Scene It?, and You're in the Movies) has failed to attract much attention.

Call me a cynic if you want, but I just don't see Microsoft being able to create enough interesting games that really draw in gamers to make Project Natal successful

Indeed, it's ALWAYS about the games. One thing that even the hyocrites can't deny. Alot of the buzz surrounding Natal is base on what kinda games COULD happen. But unless Rare can relive their Nintendo days I don't see an internal studio making those broad games. Personally I just don't trust most third party developers right now with motion controls.

The Interweb is about overreaction, this is what makes it great!

...Imagine how boring the interweb would be if everyone thought logically?

Around the Network
Scoobes said:
MS are just good at promoting stuff due to there money. When Natal comes out I think it'll actually be a bit of a dissapointment to most.

Between This post and and the Sales Forum..I'm almost convinced I need to play more Halo 3

I think the fanboys might have a right to continue on with their actions in this case. Nintendo did start the whole motion phenomenon this generation- that much is true. Natal attempts (Can't tell if it will) to go far, far beyond that with technology with the whole full body experience + the camera thing + the talking british kid.

It's like a kid (nintendo) playing the guitar for his friends (fanboys)- the friends don't like it but when they see a cool band play the guitar with pyrotechnics and groupies (natal), they're all over it.

while nintendo may have started the wave, ms is going all out in an attempt to make it seem like a drop in the puddle.

anyways :p competition is good for us.

When a company does something that works, others follow. Also, companies downplay each others products. There is nothing to be annoyed by. If it wasn't for this kind of behavior we would still be in the industrial age. If you find downing ideas and then copying then don't use telephones, cars, electricity, plumbing, food, etc.....

Slimebeast said:

What annoys me a LOT is your stealth bashing of Natal in your first couple of sentences without even giving us room to adress your criticism - since you're claiming to be such a fair and honest person, who thinks we X360 fans should give credit where credit is due.

Several questions:

1. HOW THE HECK is something with the subject header "My problem with Project Natal" STEALTH?  If I didn't label it as "My problem", and then posted what I did post, then you can claim "Stealth".  A hint here is when says "My problem with", they are going to post a criticism of it.  There is NO stealth about it.  And you need to take what I said as an issue I have with Microsoft, more than anything else.  It wasn't an attempt to look at the specs but more like Microsoft now acting like it is the master of motion control.

2. How the heck can you say I didn't give room to address criticism?  I posted A MESSAGE on here, that is meant to discuss things, that expresed my problem.  I don't see how I am supposed to post part of a message, then have replies, then post the rest.  It was my airing what I had to say, and leaving it at that.

3. Where have I claimed to be a "fair and honest" person?  I try to be balanced in my posts, but I am opinionated, and own up to it.

Anyhow, I hope Natal works.  It will be great.  Not sure how it is a universal answer to motion control, have no idea how well it will work, or even if it will be cost effective.  It will be great if it is an answer to RTS on consoles.

nitekrawler1285 said:

Not sure we can discuss anything else besides the concept, and its impact.  We don't know how well Natal will perform in real life, and we don't have a price point, so I don't believe I can comment on those (well, outside of saying, we are discussing Natal without any info on it).  What I do see here is how the spin is happening.  Call it a knock against Microsoft, but this is generally what they do.  They move into a market they are late to, and try to take it over.  Now Natal is supposed to be "the future", and it screams one upping Nintendo with a, "Look Ma, not only do we now say that current controllers are inaccessible to the masses, but ANY controller is".  I spoke about what WAS on here prior to E3 to show the perception of things by people.