By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What would it take for arcades to make a comeback?

That's easy. Make it like movies and make the arcade versions first.
Release the console ports later. Not only that make the arcade machines like consoles and have removable discs or watever madia they should use.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Around the Network
sguy78 said:
One thing I noticed when I was serving in Japan in 1999-2000 was that you could interchange your home console memory card with the arcade of the same game. This was years ago, and they are always releasing their crazy technological advances years ahead of U.S. release. Also, arcades are still rather popular over there.

Yeah, there are actually a few games that made it to N.America that do that (to this day). Mario Kart GP and F-Zero AX come to mind.

Someone was talking about prices... I think they listed some awfully large price-points. Well... kind of. If you buy a stand alone arcade machine from Capcom themselves or a reseller, it will cost you a pretty penny. However, if you already have a well established arcade you can use your existing cabinets and just buy the board for muuuuuuuch cheaper.

You can always go completely homebrew and build your own cabinet and do some wire work. You could probably get as low as 700-1500 per machine if you really cut corners.

Any-who, it's time for my two cents. What they need is more exclusive games that people want to play. House of the Dead, Street Fighter, Time Crisis and Raiden can only keep people coming back for so long. I know I still frequent my local arcade, but that's solely because of Street Fighter.

Another thing Arcade owners have to start doing is KEEPING THEIR DAMN MACHINES IN GOOD SHAPE! I can't tell you how many times I've walked into an arcade only to find the sticks and buttons completely worn down to the point where they can't even be used competively.

Speaking of competition, that brings me to my final point. There has to be more tournaments! There IS something that is completely unique to the arcade - and it isn't exclusive titles. It's the feel. It's the unique competion. It's the crowds that gather around to two champions duking it out blow for blow in their final stands against each other. I'm sorry to inform the console only crowd, but the arcades have a MUCH fiercer players than what you can get online or even with friends. That experience can't be brought to the home consoles and that experience is what the current day arcades need.

By life end:

• Wii- 100 million+
  • Xbox360- 35~40 million
  • PS3- 30 million
  • PSP- 30~32 million ------------- FAILURE
  • NDS- 85~90 million (Skeptical)  - FAILURE
  • NDS- 100 million+ (Optimistic) -- Success!

Cut the price to a dime.

You heard me, a dime.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

the death of home consoles. That, or exclusive arcade juggernauts. That isnt feasible though. Arcade revenue would never be enough to attain a return after buying an exclusive to keep it from consoles. Worse if you add development cost and maintenance as well as operating and worst manufacturing cost.

Theres just know way arcades can ever resurface if consoles don't dissappear.

pachinko.

solution to everything.

Around the Network
dcIKeeL said:
the death of home consoles. That, or exclusive arcade juggernauts. That isnt feasible though. Arcade revenue would never be enough to attain a return after buying an exclusive to keep it from consoles. Worse if you add development cost and maintenance as well as operating and worst manufacturing cost.

Theres just know way arcades can ever resurface if consoles don't dissappear.

Why would there be a purchase to make it exclusive only for the arcades? Sega and Midway made their own arcades, and then later release the games onto consoles.

Arcades weren't popular *just* because of the graphical difference, they were popular mainly because of the social aspect.

With the way the home consoles now, you don't need the arcade to get together with other gamers and get your name on the high score boards.

Sure, there will always be the random nostalgic arcade, but arcades are dead and are going to stay that way for a good long while.

In Canada I know that Playdium (Which is owned by SEGA) and Dave and Buster has a huge arcade and is highly successful and then theres the big one at Pacific Mall. The Asia is still keeping Arcades strong especially in Japan

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

For arcades to make a comeback, the home console biz would have to be completely stagnant. Right now, consoles are knocking on PC gaming's door, and the arcade biz is not far enough ahead to justify folks spending gas money, dealing with crowds for what? Look at movies. They offer an experience that you can't get a home. Sure, you can buy a nice projector and a Blu Ray player, but you still have to go to the movies to see an excellent quality transfer. It's an experience - nice seats, mostly - food you can only get at the movies. The arcade? The graphics are only marginally better than consoles - as HDTVs get better in quality, what else does the arcade offer? Nothing much. That's why it's dying.

Two Words.

Naked Tekken.