By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Answered: Has the forum activity decreased since the launch of VGC 2.0?

Right, this is a question that has been asked a fair bit lately. I posted this in another thread: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?id=2293829 , and it resulted in me getting an overwhelming amount of questions over the IM. So, as people seem rather interested about this, I decided to check it out.

Note: I'm writing this as I go along, so I may be rambling abouts a bit. If you're not interested in reading a wall-o-text, just skip past the part between the -------s to the part with the conclusion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I essentially proved with my other post (linked earlier), was that the forums overall haven't decreased. They haven't really increased lately either though. However, what people mainly think, is that the non-offtopic forums have increased, and that the offtopic forum has kept increasing. I'll be testing this out.

What I will doing, is checking each 10 pages backwards on each forum, and at what time the last post in that thread was. I will then check how long time there was in this interval, compared to the others.

This doesn't test the number of posts, but the amount of threads. Not accurate, but the best I can really do.

It's the last post on page 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50, and the 1st post on page 1 (non-stickied)

Sales:

Page 1: 6th July (40 days)

Page 10: 27th May (28 days)

Page 20: 24th April (28 days)

Page 30: 27th March (25 days)

Page 40: 2nd March (33 days)

Page 50: 30th January (26 days)

Page 60: 4th January

So the sales forum does in fact appear to have slowed down since the end of May, or sometime in May. (VGC 2.0 launched 22nd May)

All in all: The sales forum does have less threads created since the launch of 2.0.

Gaming:

Page 1: 6th July (12 days)

Page 10: 24th June (11 days)

Page 20: 13th June (8 days)

Page 30: 5th June (4 days)

Page 40: 1st June (9 days)

Page 50: 22nd May (8 days)

Page 60: 13th May (9 days)

Page 70: 4th May (8 days)

Page 80 26th April (7 days)

Page 90 19th April (8 days)

Page 100 11th April

This seems a bit odd really. The activity doubled at E3but then dipped to a third of that (50% less than usual) rather suddenly. I can't explain this actually. It's either a start of a slowdown, or just a random lack of activity.

Nintendo:

Page 1: 6th July (16 days)

Page 10: 20th June (15 days)

Page 20: 5th June (9 days)

Page 30: 27th May (14 days)

Page 40: 13th May (14 days)

Page 50: 29th April (10 days)

Page 60: 19th April

This doesn't appear to be a drop at all really. E3 bump, then a slight drop compared to the earlier.

Sony:

Page 1: 6th July (16 days)

Page 10: 20th June (14 days)

Page 20: 6th June (7 days)

Page 30: 30th May (16 days)

Page 40: 14th May (14 days)

Page 50: 30th April (11 days)

Page 60: 19th April

This is, essentially, the same as with the Nintendo forum. Increase during E3, steady on other than that. Also incredibly interesting to see that the Sony and the Ninty forums are essentially equally large.

Microsoft:

Page 1: 6th July (13 days)

Page 5: 23rd June (14 days)

Page 10: 9th June (6 days)

Page 15: 3rd June (4 days)

Page 20: 31st May (13 days)

Page 25: 18th May (13 days)

Page 30: 5th May (11 days)

Page 35: 24th April

Same as Nintendo & Sony (except that it is at 60% the speed). Increase with E3, drop to average after that.

PC:

Page 1: 6th July (20 days)

Page 3: 16th June (35 days)

Page 6: 11th May (24 days)

Page 9: 18th April (29 days)

Page 12: 19th March (25 days)

Page 15: 22nd February

Wait... It slowed down during E3? And then bumped up to new heights? This seems odd, so the reason is probably that VGC 2.0 put people off for a short while. 

Off-topic:

Page 1: 6th July (22 days)

Page 10: 14th June (26 days)

Page 20: 19th May (17 days)

Page 30: 2nd May (15 days)

Page 40: 17th April (14 days)

Page 50: 3rd April (17 days)

Page 60: 17th March (18 days)

Page 70: 27th February

Off-topic appears to have had a major drop after VGC 2.0. It's either that or E3 which caused it to drop, and there's no reason for it to be the latter. It does, however, seem that it is starting to increase again.

This might not seem all that interesting, but it's essentially proof that  the site hasn't really dropped.

Another fun thing:

Average time for 10 pages to pass:

Gaming: ~ 10 days

Nintendo: ~ 15 days

Sony: ~ 15 days

Off-topic:  ~ 20 days

Microsoft: ~ 25 days

Sales:~ 35 days

PC: ~ 65 days

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All in all, it seems that the Sales forum, PC and the off-topic forums are the only ones that have dropped. The others remain balanced. It seems that the PC and off-topic ones are also picking up pace again.

I hope this was interesting, and that it can at least prevent people from unkowingly making false claims about the site slowing.

Around the Network

weve gotten new members, but ive noticed are daily average of users online have decreased even in the most active time

Well the off topic sction has been down, because NFG has been banned alot. And she posts half the stuff in there

I am not surprised that it didn't drop much. VGChartz has in my opinion one of the greatest communities out of all gaming sites I have seen on the internet.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

off topic has its own section thats probably...I 4get we have it sometimes

Around the Network

@Xxain

You're not alone. Since I have joined here in December 2007 I have probably posted in off-topic 10 times?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

i go on IM so dont post much anymore

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Well, I imagine that newer features like IM and some additional forums also get some attention away from Off-topic.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

The posts seem to be at the same rate while the views seem to go higher.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

i hate to do this posting and all but i think it has decreased i would blame 2.0, 1 of the reasons i stopped posting on the site

i have noticed the users online and quests are all down from wat they were months b4 2.0 also

wen e3 came vgc couldnt even break its high score of 10k that was set in regular gaming season

just today though ive noticed there up but they could be rigged so that people wont notice wat has become of vgc for ex. y was the thread i mention in my sig locked

the reasons why the sony ms and Nintendo sections havent really dropped is b/c theres always going to be news for some1 to copy and paste here on vgc if some1 like me and others leave the site some1 else well just pick up the slack

if y looked at posts per thread as apposed to threads created in each section ull notice less activity

the reason that the off topic area is more active is b/c they got some hot chicks posting and creating in that section now only

oh yeah and ps3 #s have been adjusted down making the gap between it and the 360 even bigger that should sure as hell piss alot of my sony army off 

on another note how come we dont get new smiles and why doesnt the spell check work it says specify spellchecker_rpc_url and how come the forums have to be in widescreen i understand y the main page does b/c of the 3 columns but the forums can fit nicely in 4:3 like they used to maybe if all that happened id ponder to come back to vgc and also re post my pricing history thread those 3 things arent to much to ask for are they?

Play Me