By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Ok, some one give me a math lesson...

I have watched this site for a long time, and something has been bothering me.

How is it that despite the PS3 being crushed week in week out by the 360 and wii and yet always maintain a 16.9-17.0 percent of the market share. Now to me, it seems like as it is outsold consistently by the other two, the market share for them should continually shrink. even when was the wii pulling ahead of the 360, the PS3 seemed to hover at 17%.

What am I missing here?

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network

maybe its selling.. still at that 17% of the market.?? i dunno...

Own all Sony Stuff PS123P

Feburday 28th will be a Owner of a Wii

Currently playing: Need for Speed Pro Street

Games i own:
NEED FOR SPEED PRO STREET ,DW6 ,WARHAWK ,COD4,JUICED 2 ,RESISTANCE, MOTORSTORM

Games im lookin forward to:
UT3 (Ps3) , HAZE (Ps3) , KZ2 (Ps3) , MGS4 (Ps3) , SSBB (WII) , GT5 (Ps3) LBP (Ps3)
08 Predictions

Wii: 45,000,000
Ds: 90,000,000
PS3: 25,000,000
PSP: 40,000,000
360: 26,000,000

Because sales are kind of close in the regions and its only 3 consoles.

It was not always outsold by the other two especially in Japan.

Only because you asked nicely ...

Percentages are the most evil of mathematical expressions.

They can make things sound great, when in fact the result is very much lackluster.

For instance. Let's say I have 9 pieces of pie and you have 1 piece. Together we have 10 pieces which is 100%. I have 90% and you have 10%.

I suddenly get 7 more pies and you get 3, which means I have 16 pies and you have 4.

Although I am getting more and more pies than you, your percentage just went up and mine went down!!!

I now have 80% while you have 20% ... absurd, isn't it?!?

Around the Network

Weekly PS3 sales would have to be less than 17% of worldwide sales for the market share to go down.

nicely done Dolla Dolla.

RolStoppable said:

It's good to see that one of my quotes finally is in a signature. Thanks, konnichiwa. 

You are welcome,  now hope what you said will come true.

Dolla Dolla said:

They can make things sound great, when in fact the result is very much lackluster.

For instance. Let's say I have 9 pieces of pie and you have 1 piece. Together we have 10 pieces which is 100%. I have 90% and you have 10%.

I suddenly get 7 more pies and you get 3, which means I have 16 pies and you have 4.

Although I am getting more and more pies than you, your percentage just went up and mine went down!!!

Good math skills. ^_^

Dolla Dolla said:

So, it was you that took all the pies!