By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How much do publishers get / game?

Also, console makers probably as a matter of practice put a "penalty" in their contracts for game developers moving to multiple consoles....b/c they would probably want to encourage the exclusivity of the game on their console.

Around the Network

dallas said: Also, console makers probably as a matter of practice put a "penalty" in their contracts for game developers moving to multiple consoles....b/c they would probably want to encourage the exclusivity of the game on their console.
I'm fairly certain that this is not true dallas, as this would drive a wedge between console developer & studio relationships. No console manufacturer wants this, remember Yamauchi & Square's feud & what it ultimately cost Nintendo. I've a few friends within the industry & none have ever mentioned this.

"The things we touch have no permanence."

Kwaad said: I just wanna say Killzone2 passed 20million quite a few months ago... and with ~200 people working on it around the world. I would say add 1million/month to the game budget. I'd say it's at close to 23million by now, and when it is launched at the end of 2007, to be at or over 30million.
Easily, I shudder to think what MGS4 will cost.

"The things we touch have no permanence."

Li Mu Bai said: dallas said: Also, console makers probably as a matter of practice put a "penalty" in their contracts for game developers moving to multiple consoles....b/c they would probably want to encourage the exclusivity of the game on their console. I'm fairly certain that this is not true dallas, as this would drive a wedge between console developer & studio relationships. No console manufacturer wants this, remember Yamauchi & Square's feud & what it ultimately cost Nintendo. I've a few friends within the industry & none have ever mentioned this.
Well, otherwise, it would be a universal that all games are on all 3 platforms or at least the 360/PS3 combo. Besides, no offense, but I highly doubt that of your friends were privy to the details of the contracts between sony and the developers. We hardly hear anything about this, and as explained in the previous post, its the kind of like your pay at work...sony won't discuss it b/c they don't want to piss off the developers and if the developers do discuss it, it might be corporate BS.

HappySqurriel said: The "cost" of development is (roughly) $100,000 per developer-year, plus the costs of licenced technology (and in the future the licenced game assets) ... Gears of War only cost $10 Million to make because it was (roughly) an 8 hour game with a reasonably focused multiplayer component ... They could have (easily) spent $20 or $30 Million to produce a moderately long (16-24 hours) single player campaign with the multiplayer options that were available in the previous generation.
Good point. GoW is a moderately short game. Tho I doubt a linear increase in playtime is a linear increase in budget. Of course there would be a non-trivial incremental cost for additional content. But there is great deal of overhead in initial development / design. I'd suspect that each additional 8 hour would be at most half the initial cost... I'm just saying that GoW costs probably more than most games and probably similar to typical AAA titles and higher than average titles. So, I'm just suspecting that the 500k breakeven number is bogus. As for Starbreeze, looks like it's a movie adaptation house. I'd imagine that the movie studio take a very large share. Hence, most film games suck. Tho I suspect 10% is still a bit low.