By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Expect Bloom Blox sales to rise

Apparently Yahoo did a piece on how games can make people smarter, and Bloom Blox was one of the games heavily favored for the task..

Link - http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/is-gaming-good-for-the-mind-/1331945

Is gaming good for the mind?

http://l.yimg.com/ds/orion/1.0.5/img/badge-small-en.png) no-repeat scroll left top; display: block; height: 0pt; width: 74px;">Buzz up!

July 2 12:40 P.M.

Remember training your brain through games? Since bursting onto the scene a few years ago in Nintendo's hit Brain Training games, the concept of gaming our way to bigger, better cortexes has flamed out a bit, due largely to a flood of poorly-made, copycat titles and the dwindling of the belief that this sort of thing actually makes you smarter.

Food for thought

But while consumers have shifted away from the pseudo-educational genre, scientists have dropped it under a microscope in the hope of gleaning some insight into exactly how games affect the mind.

And according to some recent studies, it turns out that playing video games not only stimulates those synapses, but might actually make you a sharper thinker after all.

Courtesy of a $1.2 million grant, researchers from North Carolina State University and the Georgia Institute of Technology are hard at work http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/155993.php">studying whether or not video game playing can boost thinking skills and memory in the elderly. Rather than simply determining if certain games increase certain brain functions, the team is hoping to first identify the qualities that make a game good for the brain, then use that information to build a prototype brain game from the ground up.

The game best suited for the job? Oddly enough, it's EA's critically-acclaimed Boom Blox games. Dr. Anne McLaughlin, assistant professor of psychology at NC State, believes the Wii puzzle-party franchise contains three fundamental brain-strengthening qualities -- attentional demand, novelty and social interaction -- key to making a great brain game.

"For example, if we find that novelty and attentional demand improve cognition, we'll then develop a game that focuses on that," she said.

While McLaughlin and her crew aim to help grandparents stay sharp, other are examining what effects gaming will have on the next generation. A recent article in Scientific American targets "plasticity," or the brain's ability to dynamically change in response to experiences. Children are more susceptible to this kind of change, which means that the kinds of games they play could have different effects on their adult skill sets.

So which games are best for kids? That depends on what they want to be when they grow up. A study at the University of Rochester indicates that playing action games can increase hand-eye coordination and sharpen vision, while playing games like The Sims 2 might improve social interactions and even make people more empathetic. So if Johnny wants to be a fighter pilot, he might want to play some Wii Sports Resort instead of Wii Music.

Plus, you know, it's just a better game. And it doesn't take a big brain to figure that out.

-----------------------------

If word gets out, which being a featured yahoo article, it just might, it could drive more people towards Bloom Blox purchases.

Around the Network

Is Bloom Blox a sequel or something?

This could be quite significant. If even a mere 10% of Yahoo's reader base buys the game that's an additional 3 sales for Boom Blox

:D

I expected the Wiis sales to rise and look where that got me. You better have solid proof about this sales increase or im going to be very cross with you.

Tease.

Let's hope so, because the sequel's sales are pretty sad so far.

Around the Network

The sequel's sales will need it.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

No wonder I'm such an idiot. I loathe Boom Blox.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

scottie said:
This could be quite significant. If even a mere 10% of Yahoo's reader base buys the game that's an additional 3 sales for Boom Blox

:D

LOL consider how many people have active yahoo mail accounts, and the first thing that greets them is the featured news story. That's how I found this article actually. I'm sure I'm not alone. Plus since the press loves to snipe stories, it wouldn't be a far stretch for a news syndicate to pick up the story as part of the nightly news. Just saying =)

Squilliam said:
I expected the Wiis sales to rise and look where that got me. You better have solid proof about this sales increase or im going to be very cross with you.

Oh noes. When have you NOT been cross with me?

^but flying cows makes it a great game for the indurstry.