By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Never call GeoW or Epic original

1. First look at the name - GEARS OF WAR.

They ripped off two of the biggest titles. Metal GEAR Solid and God OF WAR. Wouldn't "Gears at War" or "Gears in War" make more sense?

Why blatantly rip off God of War? Why name them "Gears" instead of something else?

That would be like Sony coming out with an exclusive named "Halo Effect: Shooting Evolved".

2. Blatantly ripping off the battle from Act 4 of MGS4. The end of Gears 2 when you ride that giant animal (forgot the name) is damn near IDENTICAL to the battle in MGS4 where you are driving Metal Gear REX.

WTF Epic? Gears2 came out 5 months after MGS4, and considering that part is at the very very end of Gears2 ...I wouldnt be surprised if Epic developers played MGS4 and thought it was awesome and then copied it and added it as a last minute addition to Gears 2.

Same goes for grabbing an enemy CQC style from behind, and using him as a shield while shooting.

3. The cover system. This is what people praise Gears for innovating. Are you kidding? Kill.switch did this a long time ago on Ps2.... the producer of Gears even admits when they were making Gears 1 the idea was to make it "a mix of kill.switch and Resident Evil"

"I don't have time to play video games anymore, but if I did, I would definitely choose the PlayStation 3 instead of the 360" - President Barack Obama

Around the Network

You definitely need a break from these forums.

1. I doubt those have anything to do with each other

2. It's unlikely that a game that far in development could steal any scene. A game like that 4 months from release is practically done. Also games aren't made sequentially from the first scene to the last, they're like movies.

3. I don't think people praise them for inventing it, I think they praise them for being the first to really nail it.

HURK! Umm, alright. "Fair" analysis of GoW, but what if Epic weren't trying to be original. I'm not entirely sure, but the whole Space Marine shooting up Hordes of Alien Baddies doesn't exactly spew originality from every pore of the gaming genre it's associated with.

Anyway, funny joke thread. I laughed.

Why must JRPG female leads suck so bad?

paaaaranooooid

or good at making $vgchartz

Around the Network

loooooooooool

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard
Wii Friend Code: 2772 8804 2626 5138 Steam: jefforange89

I know I have a bad habit of doing this, but...this thread is not that great.

Gears of War didn't steal titles from anyone. That's just stupid. Is the word "Gears" the property of Hideo Kojima now? And how is "God of War" the same as "Gears of War?" Kratos is the god of war. The soldiers of the COG (Coalition of Ordered Governments) are called Gears. Go to a dictionary. Look all these words up. It will make sense.

Let's humor the idea that the Brumak ride was ripped off of MGS4. Who gives a flying crap? Metal Gear fans should be flattered that a higher selling and higher rated series like Gears would pay homage to their favorite series. And the reason people praise Gears of War for its cover system is because its actually really freakin' good. Just look at the increased numbers of games using a cover system (GTA4, Killzone 2, Mass Effect, etc.). Even if Gears of War wasn't the first game to do it, it definitely made it better than it ever was.

Gears isnt a higher selling series than MGS.

MGS has longevity.... This is MGS's 3rd generation in 3D.... Let's see if Gears will still be selling 5 million 2 generations from now. I really doubt it.

"I don't have time to play video games anymore, but if I did, I would definitely choose the PlayStation 3 instead of the 360" - President Barack Obama

infamous8 said:
Gears isnt a higher selling series than MGS.

MGS has longevity.... This is MGS's 3rd generation in 3D.... Let's see if Gears will still be selling 5 million 2 generations from now. I really doubt it.

I really don't doubt it.  And I don't even like Gears.

Explain why they would make the title SO CLOSE to God of War....

They couldve named it Gears IN War or Gears AT War... Those would make more sense. It's a blatant rip off.

What's next??? Metal Uncharted Solid!!! And you guys would defend that and say it's not a rip off?