By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: Marvelous porting Wii game to PS3/360

1226bph said:
Well, after the ceo's admission last week that he wasn't happy with the sales of his games on Wii, it does look like something they would look into.

Had they bothered to actually advertise their games, hell even on the internet they wouldn't need to be doing this. Advertising is a must if you expect your game to sell. People don't buy games they don't know exist or aren't easily found in the store. Porting to another system (from a system with an install base bigger then the 360 and PS3 combined I believe) isn't going to help if they don't address that situation first.

Around the Network

Maybe they'll be the anti-ubisoft. Make low budget/or ports to PS3/360 to help fund larger budget Wii games... lol

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

sc94597 said:
FilaBrasileiro said:
Soriku said:
@Fila

But here's the thing...most HD owners are going to find those games average and/or not worth their time because of graphics in the face of other games. A game like Muramasa is different.

The games are average and not worthy of anyone's time, Wii owners saw that and so will HD owners, but they're looking to maximize sales, they'll port it.
sc94597 said:
FilaBrasileiro said:
The point went way over everybody's head, the point is there are some games with crappy graphics on PS3 and 360 so Soriku's point that they wouldn't port some games because the graphics sucked is not really valid.

How is it not valid? There is the chance that they feel the graphics aren't what PS3 owners were expecting. Also at your Disgaea reference in the other post. Firstly, I would like to say that is an existing series that has NEVER been graphically impressive. The Fanbase knew this when they played it on the PS2 and knew it wouldn't be on the PS3. New IPs have to boast something on HD consoles and usually that is the high production values of the game. Also you lose the install base that doesn't have online connected, or doesn't download games and would rather the physical format of the game. This goes without mentioning that this game will be multiplat aswell if it were to be ported.

How is it a valid point? There are plenty of games on PS3/PSN and X360/XBL that look like ass, no it won't sell like GTAIV or CODIV, but it'll get some extra sales, what you're saying really makes no sense, I can give plenty other examples of games that looks like shit on both PS3 and 360 but I shouldn't have to.

It is a valid point because it makes much more sense to port a game that WILL sell well on the HD consoles rather than one that won't. A game like Muramasa looks good regardless of graphic quality, and will probably sell to the HD userbase while a game lik say rune factory probably wouldn't. It doesn't matter if there is extra sales. Porting isn't free, and when you have the choice to make more money you usually choose to. That is why when soriku says that the only game that seem like they will be ported is muramasa, it is valid to say that is the most likely option. Basically what I read in his post was, "chances are it is muramasa, because the other games don't have the production values that HD gamers want". This makes a lot of sense to me.

Let's agree to disagree.

To be frank, all the Marvelous games made for the Wii would have been right at home on the PS2 and probably would have fared better there. Two of these are cheap rip off of PS2 game anyway, one of Odin Sphere and the other of Shadow of the Colossus. Marvelous decided, as some smaller publisher, to go for the Wii due to it's cheaper developement cost, yet continued to make the exact same kind of game they made before and used the wiimote + nunchuck as a classic controller split in two and replaced some button press by motion control. These kind of game simply didn't interest the console audience and neither did the heavely japenese style.

People didn't buy a Wii to play the exact same game they played on the PS2, there is still the PS2, 360 and PS3 for that.

Persons without argument hide behind their opinion

I think No More Heroes as the best candidate to port, even Desperate Struggle is not out of the question

Around the Network

I could see Muramasa becoming a PSN/XBLA title.

I think this'll just end up costing them more money - they need to advertise their games in the first place if they want them to sell, and unless they do, porting them over will just end up being a money sink.

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard
Wii Friend Code: 2772 8804 2626 5138 Steam: jefforange89
outlawauron said:
sc94597 said:
outlawauron said:
sc94597 said:
FilaBrasileiro said:
Soriku said:
If true the only contendere are Muramasa and Reel Fishing lol. Others don't have good enough graphics to port.

But instead of porting focus on ads and distribution more.

That's irrelevant, there are some games on PS3 and 360 with really crappy graphics, as well as on PSN and XBL.

Of course there is, but how succesful are they? And how many are there?

Nearly every PSN and XBLA look bad. I can think of the games that actually push the system on one hand.

I don't see why they would port games that are made to be disc based, and probably at least around 3-4GBs on wii, to PSN or XBLA and then mark the price down(because nobody will pay full price for a downloadable game).

Well, on PSN and XBLA, you lose the retailers and you're allowed to get nearly all the money from the sale. That allows for a lower price.

And PSN has games that are 2-3 GBs in space.

Well not exactly.  You still have a "retailer" to get through and that is the one who runs the server... Sony, MS, or Nintendo.  Now of course for the downloadable ones I'm sure it's not as bad.

However, for a developer, their main issue isn't necessarily the retailers but publishers.  There reason for making games on the downloadable ones is they can do it without having to worry about the need of a publisher.  Actually selling your games to retailers isn't really all that bad.  Usually retailers will make less than a quarter for each piece of software just to give you an idea for how much they sell it to them.  Developers get screwed by publishers paying them a fixed cost.  It's great if you don't have a game you think will sell but on ones that will... publishers reap the benefits not developers. 

It's like really any business contract where you are making you contract based on how well you think the game will do.  So if developers can take the publishers out of the picture they simply developer for all the money aside from licensing and royalties at either fixed or percentage to whoever runs the downloadable thing. 

Guess the best way to put it, is like anything business, it's not necessarily so clear cut.

Zucas said:
outlawauron said:
sc94597 said:
outlawauron said:
sc94597 said:
FilaBrasileiro said:
Soriku said:
If true the only contendere are Muramasa and Reel Fishing lol. Others don't have good enough graphics to port.

But instead of porting focus on ads and distribution more.

That's irrelevant, there are some games on PS3 and 360 with really crappy graphics, as well as on PSN and XBL.

Of course there is, but how succesful are they? And how many are there?

Nearly every PSN and XBLA look bad. I can think of the games that actually push the system on one hand.

I don't see why they would port games that are made to be disc based, and probably at least around 3-4GBs on wii, to PSN or XBLA and then mark the price down(because nobody will pay full price for a downloadable game).

Well, on PSN and XBLA, you lose the retailers and you're allowed to get nearly all the money from the sale. That allows for a lower price.

And PSN has games that are 2-3 GBs in space.

Well not exactly.  You still have a "retailer" to get through and that is the one who runs the server... Sony, MS, or Nintendo.  Now of course for the downloadable ones I'm sure it's not as bad.

However, for a developer, their main issue isn't necessarily the retailers but publishers.  There reason for making games on the downloadable ones is they can do it without having to worry about the need of a publisher.  Actually selling your games to retailers isn't really all that bad.  Usually retailers will make less than a quarter for each piece of software just to give you an idea for how much they sell it to them.  Developers get screwed by publishers paying them a fixed cost.  It's great if you don't have a game you think will sell but on ones that will... publishers reap the benefits not developers. 

It's like really any business contract where you are making you contract based on how well you think the game will do.  So if developers can take the publishers out of the picture they simply developer for all the money aside from licensing and royalties at either fixed or percentage to whoever runs the downloadable thing. 

Guess the best way to put it, is like anything business, it's not necessarily so clear cut.

Of course there are still costs incurred, but the exta cost of the manual, case, shipping, retailer cut are removed and replaced with a small cut from your respective company. That's all I was saying.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

No Arc Rise, Fantasia, No Muramasa for the HD consoles. This games would sale worse there than on the wii.

Hd consoleros prefer simple action games. It is obvious that Marvelous will port No More Heroes, but I fear even this game will sell worse than on Wii and another publisher is at the end because of an flopped hd game.