By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When do you think Sony will stop making the PS2?

I've been wondering even though the PS2 is making money for Sony isn't helping them lose money by keeping PS3's on the shelf. I know alot of people who bought PS2's bcause of the fact that PS3 doesn't play every single PS2 game (they like some off the wall games). Isn't this a bitter-sweet type thing cause in a year or two people won't want to look at PS2 graphics seeing how 360/PS3 murders it and in a year or two the Wii should be coming out with nothing that looks worse than the GC's best graphics.

Around the Network

Look at history - NES stopped in 94, Genesis in 97', SNES in 99', PS1 in 03'/04', PS2 in 09' I'd say. But this is it's last big holiday season and year. It is like how the SNES had one last push in 1997.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

While the effective life of a console is typically about six years, many companies continue to make the older systems for a couple of years after their new systems come out (assuming they were popular enough to warrant continued production). The PSOne was actually made until the beginning of 2006 (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6146549.html). With sales and profits still coming in strong, I'd give the PS2 a few more years (especially in the smaller sales regions with less income). I don't think the PS2 is really taking that many sales away from the PS3. In fact, it could be stopping people from buying an Xbox 360. And from your lips to developer's ears when it comes to Wii graphics. They need to stop porting PS2 and PSP games and put a little more work into their games. Graphics aren't everything, but there's no excuse for some of the crap we've been seeing.

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

That's a long time, but it makes since with history and we all know that in most cases history repeats itself.

I'd say about 2010. I think PS2's new titles will start to dwindle in 2008 but it will stick around for another 2 years after that. The PSOne stuck around for a while as did the SNES,NES, and 2600. The console that wins a generation usually has an 8 to 10 year lifespan.

Around the Network

I say 2010 to 2011. PS2 is the animal!

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

If there were smart, they'd stop making it now! Maybe then more people would jump on the PS3 wagon.

Spazgadget said: If there were smart, they'd stop making it now! Maybe then more people would jump on the PS3 wagon.
That's what I was thinking, aren't they being there own worse enemy right now?

Spazgadget said: If there were smart, they'd stop making it now! Maybe then more people would jump on the PS3 wagon.
That's what I was thinking, aren't they being there own worse enemy right now?

I Think that if they stopped now everyone would jump on the Wii wagon, it's the second most cheap console (right after PS2) and it's the most casual solution so... ;)