By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Bungie to leave Microsoft?

I leaning towards believing it too, I just think MS is going to get more out of it than just the rights to Halo.

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |

Around the Network

Currently every Bungie employee gets MS stock options. These options have a vesting period in which the person must remain an employee of MS. I cannot fathom MS ever selling off a very successful developer or any Bungie employees willing to walk away from their stock options.

Desroko said:
Engelos said:
No way, Ms would never let their top name make games for their competitors.

If push comes to shove they would flat out buy them out.

Bungie is already a wholly-owned subsidiary of MS.

There are ways for those to be spun off, but I'm racking my brain trying to find a scenario that MS would actually agree to.

*&CK, I can't believe it took this long for someone to post this.  Bungie is wholly owned.  End of story.  Why would Microsoft sell a cash cow?  Answer:  They won't.  If there is something going on, it will be publishing titles on another platform or something similar.  Regardless, it is 100% in Microsoft's control.  I'm blown away at the sheer ignorance in this thread and the many just like it all over the internet.  Man, this is some bunk FUD.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

The only way that I could see Bungie leaving Microsoft was if they did something on the lines of what David Jaffe did with Sony. His new studio is supposedly independent of Sony, yet they are focusing primarily on PS3 games. I bet that if the rumor is true then Bungie and MS would have a relationship like that. There would exist a contract for Bungie to develop primarily for MS but allows them to develop maybe for Nintendo and it's handhelds, but there is no way in hell that MS would spin off Bungie and let them develop anything for Sony EVER.

My prediction: Some of the developers at Bungie will break off and form a new company that makes games for other platforms. Bungie will remain an MS-owned company and continue to make games for the 360.

Around the Network
Entroper said:
My prediction: Some of the developers at Bungie will break off and form a new company that makes games for other platforms. Bungie will remain an MS-owned company and continue to make games for the 360.

Did you see the size of the bonuses that the Bungie team got paid?  It was something like 25 million... If the development team was around 150 people, everyone gets about $170K bonus...  I doubt there are too many people that are itching to bolt out the door...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Entroper: Like, when Microsoft bought Rare? Only at the ass end rather than head?

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

kn said:
Entroper said:

Did you see the size of the bonuses that the Bungie team got paid? It was something like 25 million... If the development team was around 150 people, everyone gets about $170K bonus... I doubt there are too many people that are itching to bolt out the door...

It's not always about money for everyone, you know.  Plus, some developers may feel there could be more money in developing for other platforms, or perhaps multiple platforms.  If they just got a huge bonus, then they're in a position where they can take a risk with a new venture and still be financially secure if it doesn't pan out.

The only possible way I can think of that Bungie could separate from Microsoft would be if Microsoft spun off Bungie while retaining the Halo rights and folding the Halo team into Microsoft Games Studio. I don't see how Bungie could be a viable independent developer without the Halo team though.

"Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" -- Daffy Duck

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200710/N07.1002.1438.22348.htm