By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Wii Japan sales overwhelm PS3 in Apr-Sept

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUST12367720071001

Nintendo Wii Japan sales overwhelm PS3 in Apr-Sept
Mon Oct 1, 2007 10:15am EDT

TOKYO (Reuters) - Nintendo Co Ltd's (7974.OS: Quote, Profile, Research) Wii videogame console outsold Sony Corp's (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) PlayStation 3 by more than four to one in Japan in April-September, game magazine publisher Enterbrain said on Monday.

Nintendo sold about 1.6 million units of the Wii over 26 weeks through September 23 in its home market, compared with 385,492 units of the PS3 sold, Enterbrain said.

The Wii features a motion-sensing controller that lets users direct on-screen action by swinging it like a racket or sword, helping widen the machine's appeal.

Sony's PS3 suffered a slow start since its launch last November due to its high price and scarcity of strong software titles.

Around the Network

Another related article:

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/newstex/AFX-0013-19935830.htm

Japanese computer game market grows 21.7 percent in fiscal H1 - Enterbrain
October 01, 2007: 04:37 AM EST

TOKYO, Oct. 1, 2007 (Thomson Financial delivered by Newstex) -- The value of the computer game market in Japan, at 292.8 billion yen, was 21.7 percent higher in the fiscal first half to September than a year before, largely because of the success of Nintendo Co Ltd's Nintendo DS, magazine publisher Enterbrain said.

Sales of Nintendo's Wii and Sony (NYSE:SNE) Computer Entertainment Inc's PlayStation Portable 3 (PSP3) also helped the market expand, Enterbrain said.

Enterbrain conducted a survey of the market between March 26 and Sept 23.

The hardware market expanded by 33.5 percent to 138.3 billion yen and the software market increased by 12.8 percent to 154.5 billion yen, Enterbrain said in a written statement.

In the hardware market, Nintendo sold 3.478 million Nintendo DSs and Nintendo DS Lites in the fiscal first half and Sony Corp unit Sony Computer Entertainment sold 1.07 million PSP-1000s and PSP-2000s.

In the software market, Nintendo sold 819,237 sets of Mario Party 8 for the Wii and 789,091 sets of one of the series of the Legend of Zelda game for the Nintendo DS, Enterbrain said.

FishyJoe said:

Sales of Nintendo's Wii and Sony (NYSE:SNE) Computer Entertainment Inc's PlayStation Portable 3 (PSP3) also helped the market expand, Enterbrain said.

PSP3? o.O

... um ... what a surprise ... no ... wait ... its not ( goes home and praise for a fast release of MGS4 and FFXIII ) .

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

hunter_alien said:
... um ... what a surprise ... no ... wait ... its not ( goes home and praise for a fast release of MGS4 and FFXIII ) .

Praise be to Metal Gear Solid 4! Shal you be well on the morrow!

Anyways, it is not a surprise that the Wii is selling so well but the more quarterly (half) reports we have from various analysts the more it demonstrates that ioi's numbers are solid. (Although there wasn't much of a question with Japan).

Around the Network

does this mean that the fiscal reports are out?

*checks link*
what does enterbrain usually report?.
from reading it i am guessing that these are sales figures and not from Fiscal reports.

anyone know how long after september the reports usually come out

{shock...shock}

I never knew the WII was outselling it so much in Japan

I've been living under a rock for the past few months...

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

TWRoO said:
does this mean that the fiscal reports are out?

*checks link*
what does enterbrain usually report?.
from reading it i am guessing that these are sales figures and not from Fiscal reports.

anyone know how long after september the reports usually come out

Probably the end of the month.

wait what is this Wii you talk about?

@mesoteto, it's ok...just a mistype, it's actually spelt Vii.

Thanx Phalanx.