By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
JTurner82 said:
The fact is that neither Tales did badly at all. Anyway, I'm very sad that this thread has completely derailed. I would rather focus on the topic at hand which is what RPGs are coming next and the ones which have a chance of succeeding.

Personally, I think MH3, FFCB, DQX, and ToG all will sell very well in Japan, while Valhalla may have a hard time finding its audience. I have no comment about Monado, but how that turns out remains to be seen, since it's a long way off.

Well I think Tales of Vesperia did badly as a mothership Tales title. (So did Tales of Hearts for that matter), but it did good for a 360 JRPG in Japan. ToS2 did pretty badly as the sequel to the highest selling Tales game of all time, but it did good for a Tales spin off.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
Valkyria00 said:

Hell DotNW sold more on Wii then ToV on 360 which had higher budget and was mothership.

We're not talking a huge difference, it's 0.32 million (ToV) versus 0.37 million (ToS2).  

If anything that reflects poorly on ToS2 as it had a 1+ million fanbase from the original game to tap into while Vesperia was basically a new IP within the Tales franchise.

More like Tales of series has 1 million+ fanbase to tap into. I dont think that Vesperia new IP thing really works. Im not saying DotNW sold amazing but its been on record the game was low budget and rushed and it still sold good enough for a spin-off/sequel.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Shadowblind said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
damkira said:

I thought it was certain that Dragon Quest X was coming to Wii? I vaguely remember reading about a press conference where Iwata announced that this game was coming...

All of those should be successful, at least in Japan.. except Monado, which is unclear because its a new IP and looks pretty generic.

They should put Dragon quest solely on the DS or the PS3 if they want the game to gather decent sales post FFXIII launch.

I think it'll do fine on Wii alone.

Not well enough.

You're really doubting the brand power of Dragon Quest.  People will buy Wiis for that game.  You don't have to worry about it, putting it on Wii and not PS3 was the best choice SquareEnix made this gen.

outlawauron said:
Soriku said:
lol STAGE. Don't feed the troll guys.

A JRPG should hit 2 mil on Wii already? The best selling JRPG this gen is LO, but a crappy DQ on rails spinoff is close to it in sales! What a funny guy. Not like the PS3 and 360 are big JRPG supporters either. DQ X is going to crush FF XIII in sales. Besides, the Wii has MH3, Tales, etc. to move core owners.

@Blood

Like MH3? Oh wait. Edit: Also, Daz, you're my hero. Baten Kaitos FTW!! I want BK3 NOW!

lol, no it won't. DQ will be hard to sell more than 5-6 million worldwide. FF13 is going to sell more than that.

That's very true.  Primarily because FFXIII is gonna get the bulk of its sales from the West.  Dragon Quest is pretty much ignored in this part of the world.  Plus, FFXIII has the advantage of being released on two consoles in the West.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Soriku said:

A JRPG should hit 2 mil on Wii already? The best selling JRPG this gen is LO, but a crappy DQ on rails spinoff is close to it in sales! What a funny guy. Not like the PS3 and 360 are big JRPG supporters either. DQ X is going to crush FF XIII in sales. Besides, the Wii has MH3, Tales, etc. to move core owners.

@Blood

Like MH3? Oh wait. Edit: Also, Daz, you're my hero. Baten Kaitos FTW!! I want BK3 NOW!

FFXIII is guaranteed to have over 2 million in sales for sure. After FFXIII launches more JRPG fans will buy PS3's and you will see more third party devs making JRPG's for the PS3 after the fallout.

Now apply that exact same logic to Dragon Quest X and the Wii and you'll be a winner.

Around the Network
Kenology said:
outlawauron said:
Soriku said:

@Blood

lol, no it won't. DQ will be hard to sell more than 5-6 million worldwide. FF13 is going to sell more than that.

That's very true.  Primarily because FFXIII is gonna get the bulk of its sales from the West.  Dragon Quest is pretty much ignored in this part of the world.  Plus, FFXIII has the advantage of being released on two consoles in the West.

We should be seeing around 7 million WW as a pretty conservative lifetime estimate.

^ That sounds like fair prediction.

Final Fantasy always peaks the generation with the main title that's on new hardware. I'm curious to see where this one ends up. It should be no lower than 6 million but no higher than 9 million I think.

JTurner82 said:

So far, we've seen this year the releases of Takt of Magic, Kizuna, Arc Rise Fantasia, Muramasa, and Fragile for Wii.  Technically, not all of them are RPGs, but they were nonetheless niche titles at best.  Now that the year's almost over, what else is in store for Wii RPGs?  Let's take a look.

Dragon Quest X--There are people doubting already that this title will ever come to Wii.  But I don't think it's going to just jump ship just because these abovementioned titles weren't particularly huge sellers.  It'll still be a hit either way.

Tales of Graces--This should be a seller.

Monster Hunter 3--Technically not an RPG, but a very popular Japanese franchise.

Monado--Monolith Soft's newest production for Nintendo is an RPG.  How will it do?  Who knows.

Valhalla Knights Elder Saga--Unsure about how this will do.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles The Crystal Bearers--This should be successful.

I wonder if Wii will get more RPGs than these so far.

you overlooked the revamped, albeit niche title Phantom Brave, which is a improved and extended remake of the PS2 game.A fully fledged RPG and is just around the corner, next month if im correct.

If you put things in perspective, this is an impressive amount of titles compared to previous years for the wii. For the first 2 years of the console, there was not a single truthful RPG.

Then came chocobo dungeon which is a roguelike,and a good one by all merits, and Tales of Symphonia, with mixed reviews,korinpa and a couple of smaller titles.That was it before.

But just look at how many titles you got right off the bat now. The influx of upcoming RPGS is massive, and satisfactory, by all means.Wii is getting similar, if not more, pure RPGs than the other consoles and is very obvious that theres a big shift. More rpgs would actually be a bit of a market saturation for the wii gamers.

^ Fire Emblem 10