By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - More people in US with a HD DVD player than Blu-ray

ROFLMAO...no surprise there...Fry's still has HD-DVD and I still buy some when I go there. PLUS...there are tons of cheap HD-DVD players are cheap cheap cheap!

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network
heruamon said:
ROFLMAO...no surprise there...Fry's still has HD-DVD and I still buy some when I go there. PLUS...there are tons of cheap HD-DVD players are cheap cheap cheap!

So your telling me you buy it just because its cheap?

mM

And this is from the opening paragraph of Harris's press release on the survey:

"Looking at the other devices for playing HD DVDs, 9% own a Sony PLAYSTATION®3 (which plays Blu-ray ) and 3% have the external HD DVD drive for the Xbox® 360 (which plays HD DVDs)."

Other devices for playing HD DVDs? So even Harris considers Blu-Ray as a subset of "HD DVD"?

leo-j said:
heruamon said:

That's not unreasonable. I've seen HDDVDs in bargain bins for prices as low as 99c-$4.99.

blizzid said:

I agree that the results are skewed, but I think everyone doing math using "300+ million Americans" is doing it wrong. These kinds of figures wouldn't count individuals; they'd count households. (If a man buys a Blu-ray player for his home, his wife is considered a Blu-ray owner as well.) The number of households in the US was around 111 million is 2007. If you do the math again using 111 million instead of 300+ million, the numbers don't look so bad. Still off, but not by orders of magnitude.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000.html

Though you might be correct about households it looks like 128 million in '07. 128 * .09 = 11.5 million in US. 11.5 * 1.1 = 12.76million Ps3's in NA then right?

Around the Network
leo-j said:
heruamon said:

No...I buy it because I originally choose HD-DVD...and as long as I have to option to buy HD-DVDs, I will.  I was just in Dallas at that Fry's, and they had ALOT of HD-DVDs...so...evidently...people are still buying them, in the US, at any rate.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

heruamon said:
leo-j said:
heruamon said:

No...I buy it because I originally choose HD-DVD...and as long as I have to option to buy HD-DVDs, I will.  I was just in Dallas at that Fry's, and they had ALOT of HD-DVDs...so...evidently...people are still buying them, in the US, at any rate.

A. this survey has nothing to do with SW purchases.

B. i think its the other way around. I think they are still selling HDDVD movies because no one is buying them.

Mendicate Bias said:
lol remember when the hd-dvd add-on for the 360 got discounted to $50, I'm guessing a bunch of people bought them after that. I was pretty tempted to buy one myself. haha what if hd-dvd comes back from the dead and wins the war? Most epic comeback ever ;)

They had a survey that counted of 700 people. They asked them for who you are gonna vote and Obama won; A survey of 700 people can be a very good indication for whole the country.

How about one more farewell to HD-DVD:

HD-DVD is dead...DEAD.

/jokethread