By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - More people in US with a HD DVD player than Blu-ray

Who cares? HD-DVD basically had a fire sale EOL and was the cheaper option even before that. No wonder it is in more homes than blue-ray.

Here and now HD-DVD is dead and blue-ray is not. That's not to say that blue-ray will ever be as high and mighty as DVDs are, but that will probably be because physical media is probably going to be a dead in 20 years.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network

I remember reading that standalone HD-DVD was ahead of BR by quite a margin but PS3 sales tip the balance in BR's favor.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

While Blu-ray was declared the big “winner” in the high definition format war last year, consumers may be slow to be part of the winning team. In fact, Americans are not jumping on board with any of the high definition DVD players. Just one in ten Americans (11%) own a HD DVD player while 7% own a Blu-ray player. Looking at the other devices for playing HD DVDs, 9% own a Sony PLAYSTATION®3 (which plays Blu-ray ) and 3% have the external HD DVD drive for the Xbox® 360 (which plays HD DVDs).

7% of Americans own blu-ray.

22 million.

9% own a Ps3.

1.98 million own a ps3.

Am I missing sometheing here or is VG chartz this WRONG! OMG VGC overtracking Ps3 by 6 million confirmed!

Probably from lots of uninformed people buying dirt cheap HD-DVD players still kicking around, along with bargain bins of HD-DVD's. I know there's lots of threads on deal watching websites about sales on HD-DVD's that people go nuts for, in the laser disc sort of way lol.

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, N64, Gamecube, Wii, XBOX360

Wyku said:
Probably from lots of uninformed people buying dirt cheap HD-DVD players still kicking around, along with bargain bins of HD-DVD's. I know there's lots of threads on deal watching websites about sales on HD-DVD's that people go nuts for, in the laser disc sort of way lol.

This... doesn't make sense at all. You think bargain bins would increase sales this much? Think again. I doubt there would be enough HD DVD players to make up a portion of blu-ray players sold not to mention Ps3's thrown in. The pull only covered 2k people. And we are to expect that this 2k represents the 304million us population? Laughable i say. I already proved the poll was shit in the post above yours. According to the poll 1.98 million people own a ps3 in US.

Around the Network
JEDE3 said:

While Blu-ray was declared the big “winner” in the high definition format war last year, consumers may be slow to be part of the winning team. In fact, Americans are not jumping on board with any of the high definition DVD players. Just one in ten Americans (11%) own a HD DVD player while 7% own a Blu-ray player. Looking at the other devices for playing HD DVDs, 9% own a Sony PLAYSTATION®3 (which plays Blu-ray ) and 3% have the external HD DVD drive for the Xbox® 360 (which plays HD DVDs).

22 million.

9% own a Ps3.

1.98 million own a ps3.

Am I missing sometheing here or is VG chartz this WRONG! OMG VGC overtracking Ps3 by 6 million confirmed!

You mean Undertracking by 20 million?  Population of US:  301,119,567 * 0.09 = 27 million Americans own a PS3.  Poor data set.

The 7% figure is probably dedicated players. The real advantage that Blu-ray had over HD-DVD was the PS3. I bought my PS3 because I wanted a Blu-ray player and it was the highest quality for the money ($300).

EDIT: After looking at the link, I am correct. They seperated HD-DVD and the external drive, and they seperated Blu-Ray and the PS3. If you assume no overlap, 16% are capable of playing Blu-Ray, while only 14% are capable of playing HD-DVD. Either way the race in the United States was very close, compared to other countries where Blu-ray was the clear winner.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Epoch said:
JEDE3 said:

22 million.

9% own a Ps3.

1.98 million own a ps3.

You mean Undertracking by 20 million?  Population of US:  301,119,567 * 0.09 = 27 million Americans own a PS3.  Poor data set.

No. 7% of the us population own a blu-0ray player. from those 7% 9% of them own a ps3.

look at the results a bit closer, according to this survey:

9% own a ps3, 7% own a blu ray player.

riiiight, cause there are all those ps3's without blu ray in them.

also note: this was on online survey that allowed for multiple responses.

so in conclusion - this "survey" is utter crap

Not a surprise. Until PS3 hit things were looking good for HD.

If I was behind Blu I'd be considering some sort of amnesty to allow people to trade in. Anyone with HD DVD I'd assume was keen on HD films but is sticking with what they have and films they bought for the moment due to economy.

Mind you, swapping Blu-Ray players and movies for HD DVD equivilents would be a costly business. But just think of the install base boost - and hopefully once 'converted' they'd start buying HD movies again.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...