By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - More people in US with a HD DVD player than Blu-ray

axumblade said:
Epoch said:
axumblade said:
Epoch said:
Lostplanet22 said:
They had a survey that counted of 700 people. They asked them for who you are gonna vote and Obama won; A survey of 700 people can be a very good indication for whole the country.

WOW.  You just boggled my mind. 

I once flipped a coin 701 times and my "survey" told me that Bush would win in 2000.  Guess my coin was a pretty good indicator for the whole country as well -.-

It's called a survey for a reason...And it was slightly accurate, your argument makes no sense considering it was a sample survey and in all likelhiood, they interviewed people from different states for their answers. Just because not everybody liked Obama doesn't mean that he wasn't going to win. It's about who has the most votes, not who has all of the votes...

You both missed the point of my example.  My example was simply to demonstrate that the likelyhood of their "survey" being correct was about 50%. 

700 people surveyed is hardly indicative of anything.  The fact that the survey was right is due more random chance than anything else. 

In short: small data sets used to represent much larger populations are often rife with problems. There are countless examples of this.  Look some up

Yeah...the thing about that is that nobody is going to give the whole populous a survey unless it's conducted by someone who has a lot of time/money on these tests. I don't think I understand what you're saying because you're pushing a personal belief on a sample survey. I suppose it could work as flipping a coin would though based on the fact that Obama and McCain were the only ones really left in the competition at the end, but I highly doubt that's what you're even trying to say.

Actually thats exactly the point I was trying to show.  If there are 2 equally athletic people about to engage in a footrace, and you ask 700 people who is going to win, the survey will turn out to be right approximately 50% of the time. Its hardly mind blowing stuff, and shouldn't be used to vindicate small data sets of being generally poor at representing whole populations.

My "personal belief" that small data sets are often poor representations of much larger populations is widely held by most statisticians as well.  There are things you can do to mitigate the problems inherent in small data sets, but you should always check your results with known quantitifiable data to avoid looking foolish. 

Anyhoo, my point is simply that you should take any survey, or poll's, results with a grain of salt.  Particularly when we can extrapolate their results into our "known" sales data, and find it off by large margins.

If you are actually interested in statistics, perhaps a course on the subject would help your understanding.

But this discussion is now way off topic.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
steverhcp02 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Dno said:
thats nice but i will care when any new movie comes out for all these HD DVD players... untill then ill be enjoying all my NEW movies on blu-ray

With HD-DVD you can watch normal DVD's in High-Def. You just wont have all of the extras like Blu Ray or HD-DVD had.

Completely wrong. That sounds like an uninformed consumer and the next phase of HD DVD supporters settlling for good enough. Not saying you are "settling" but your comment on upscaling equalling quality of actual 1080p is so far from true

http://other.toonguru.com/hd/SDHD_001.jpg

This is a comparison of upscaled to 1080p vs BD

I would be just as happy with the former as the latter.

You and me both brother... I see no reason to give up my Pioneer 1080p upscaling DVD player that cost me $75 for a decent Blu-Ray player that still goes for around $300

@stteverhcp02... As for that comparison pic, stand a minimum of 6 feet away from your computer monitor (normal TV viewing distance), then tell me if you see any noticeable difference!  That pic is only relevant if you're watching a movie less than 2 feet away from your computer/TV screen!

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

NightDragon83 said:
Squilliam said:
steverhcp02 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Dno said:
thats nice but i will care when any new movie comes out for all these HD DVD players... untill then ill be enjoying all my NEW movies on blu-ray

With HD-DVD you can watch normal DVD's in High-Def. You just wont have all of the extras like Blu Ray or HD-DVD had.

Completely wrong. That sounds like an uninformed consumer and the next phase of HD DVD supporters settlling for good enough. Not saying you are "settling" but your comment on upscaling equalling quality of actual 1080p is so far from true

You and me both brother... I see no reason to give up my Pioneer 1080p upscaling DVD player that cost me $75 for a decent Blu-Ray player that still goes for around $300

@stteverhcp02... As for that comparison pic, stand a minimum of 6 feet away from your computer monitor (normal TV viewing distance), then tell me if you see any noticeable difference!  That pic is only relevant if you're watching a movie less than 2 feet away from your computer/TV screen!

my parents just got a bonusview Magnavox BD player at wal mart for 138 bucks. Meijer has a sale now or coming up for 99 dollars and you can get a BD player everyday at wal mart, no sales for 198 dollars.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=0&ic=48_0&search_query=blu+ray&Find.x=0&Find.y=0&Find=Find

http://www.target.com/gp/search/192-2206380-3009310?field-keywords=blu+ray&url=index%3Dtarget%26search-alias%3Dtgt-index&ref=sr_bx_1_1&x=0&y=0

Point one, proven wrong. On to point 2.

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

The picture is relevent for a normal standard 42 to 47 inche TV at a viewing distance of 6-8 feet the human eye can distinguish between 720P and 1080P since 1080p upscaled isnt even 720p quality your 2 foot argument not only doesnt hold water in reality speaking in terms of true progressive scan HD but would obviously hold no water when discussing upscaled.

Point 2 proven wrong.

I wish people would stop commenting on things they have no idea about. If its not for you, fine, but dont shoot off wrong information as fact when you dont know what youre talking about.

With time Blu-Ray players will be able to reduce in price and better compete with DVD player. But on topic HD DVD is dead format and Blu-Ray is constantly growing and will only get better with time.

*Al Bundy's My Hero*

*Al Bundy For President*

Waiting On GT7!!!

PSN ID: Acidfacekiller

NightDragon83 said:
Squilliam said:
steverhcp02 said:

Using my PS3 BR player, I watched a modern movie (Apocolypto) from 4-9 feet away (I got closer to see the effect) on a 53" Bravia LCD (Top of the range last year) and I wasn't bothered. I could see that the image quality was better, but I just didn't care. I watch 550MB TV episodes all the time which I download as I can't get them over the air in my country. Pixels are over-rated!

Tease.

Around the Network

Upscaling DVD cost $59.99 compared to a $249 BRD player...and sony wonders why brd isn't taking over....

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

heruamon said:
Upscaling DVD cost $59.99 compared to a $249 BRD player...and sony wonders why brd isn't taking over....

How many times acan you possibly be wrong in one thread? Doubling YoY 2 years in a row isnt anything? BRD is now taking a good 15% of sales now. And it isn't even christmas yet. Where will it be then? 25%?

I along with millions of normal non HD geeks feel BR is obviously not worth jumping into we can quite happily get away with upscalers or even existing dvd players quite happily. BR is a niche market plus with competing formats such as digital downloads, subscription services like sky and not to mention just downloading stuff off the net are all here now and were not even a consideration when DVD was in its infancy like BR is now. Next generation when Microsoft and Nintendo cold shoulder BR will be another blow. Too niche too un-neaded and just too damned expensive considering an HD TV costs what between $500 and well anything up to $3000 and then a BR player for another $100 and then $30 a shot for movies! No way the average Joe will be put off at step one

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

Bladeforce said:
I along with millions of normal non HD geeks feel BR is obviously not worth jumping into we can quite happily get away with upscalers or even existing dvd players quite happily. BR is a niche market plus with competing formats such as digital downloads, subscription services like sky and not to mention just downloading stuff off the net are all here now and were not even a consideration when DVD was in its infancy like BR is now. Next generation when Microsoft and Nintendo cold shoulder BR will be another blow. Too niche too un-neaded and just too damned expensive considering an HD TV costs what between $500 and well anything up to $3000 and then a BR player for another $100 and then $30 a shot for movies! No way the average Joe will be put off at step one

LOL Thats one funny post you got there. The article is proven to be shit and you start this? Sore loser? Neaded? Whats neaded?

WheelStriker said:
Uh oh. Another thread where xbots come and spout trash at bluray.

I wonder if anything will be done against this post considering one guy got a 2 week ban for saying "sony bots."