By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Check Out 360's 1080p Smooth Streaming Tech Now

Looks really good, what kind of connection speed would you need for this? as my connection is utter shit and so is my PC >.

Currently playing: MAG, Heavy Rain, Infamous

Getting Plat trophies for: Heavy Rain, Infamous, RE5,  Burnout and GOW collection once I get it.

Around the Network
WereKitten said:

selnor said:

Alot of people have 400+ dvd's and just cant be arsed to rebuy the films all again in Blu Ray. Then after another 5 years buy again on Blu Ray's successor.

Can't find the logic in this statement when comparing BluRay to streaming.

With both BluRay and streaming you keep your old DVDs, you have to pay if you want one of your movies in a higher quality format. Actually the BluRay player will play your 400 DVDs, your streaming mediabox is not even necessarily equipped with an optical reader.

How can you miss the point. Streaming in 1080p is easily obtainable. Thanks to M$ new technology.

It costs around £1 for me to watch HD 720p films off Live right now. For me to watch 720p Blu Ray film it costs me £17.99 brand new or £5 rental. Now do the math. From here on in on my Xbox 360 I ( and my friend ) can play all your existing DVD's on it and have the choice to play HD movies at a fraction of the cost of even buying a DVD.

You'll be saving yourself literally thousands of GBP by using Streaming services for the rest of your life instead of rebuying collections every new format.

August brings me here in the UK Sky via my 360. With HD 1080p streaming coming to it's the complete package. I will never need to buy another film. I'll save thousands like I said in my lifetime. Thats a new car, or holidays. College for my daughter. £5.99 gets you as many films streamed as you want when you want monthly in America. UK service is now not far away. And 1080p film access as good as what this thread shows is astonishing. And it ran in Dolby Digital 5.1 without a pause. Impressive to say the least.

My point was is Blu Ray will never hit even half DVD marketshare now. People will likely stick with DVD. Those who can afford Blu Ray likely can afford a good internet connection and will be able stream for less than half the price Blu Ray would cost you in your lifetime. Picture quality is now a moot subject. What we all just saw was amazing picture clarity.

kowenicki said:
I cant get it to start.....

First of all donload what it asks you to. Then when it's finished the download, like 4 secs, it will be ready. Just press play and wallah, it works it all out for you. 4.93m is awesome 1080p visuals streaming. Pure win. Even half that looks exceptional.

selnor said:
WereKitten said:

selnor said:

Alot of people have 400+ dvd's and just cant be arsed to rebuy the films all again in Blu Ray. Then after another 5 years buy again on Blu Ray's successor.

With both BluRay and streaming you keep your old DVDs, you have to pay if you want one of your movies in a higher quality format. Actually the BluRay player will play your 400 DVDs, your streaming mediabox is not even necessarily equipped with an optical reader.

How can you miss the point. Streaming in 1080p is easily obtainable. Thanks to M$ new technology.

It costs around £1 for me to watch HD 720p films off Live right now. For me to watch 720p Blu Ray film it costs me £17.99 brand new or £5 rental. Now do the math. From here on in on my Xbox 360 I ( and my friend ) can play all your existing DVD's on it and have the choice to play HD movies at a fraction of the cost of even buying a DVD.

You'll be saving yourself literally thousands of GBP by using Streaming services for the rest of your life instead of rebuying collections every new format.

August brings me here in the UK Sky via my 360. With HD 1080p streaming coming to it's the complete package. I will never need to buy another film. I'll save thousands like I said in my lifetime. Thats a new car, or holidays. College for my daughter. £5.99 gets you as many films streamed as you want when you want monthly in America. UK service is now not far away. And 1080p film access as good as what this thread shows is astonishing. And it ran in Dolby Digital 5.1 without a pause. Impressive to say the least.

My point was is Blu Ray will never hit even half DVD marketshare now. People will likely stick with DVD. Those who can afford Blu Ray likely can afford a good internet connection and will be able stream for less than half the price Blu Ray would cost you in your lifetime. Picture quality is now a moot subject. What we all just saw was amazing picture clarity.

once again selnor is determined to prove Microsoft is best

"They will know heghan belongs to the helghast"

"England expects that everyman will do his duty"

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

NKAJ said:
selnor said:
WereKitten said:

selnor said:

once again slenor is determined to prove Microsoft is best

I tought every one know this by now....=.=

Around the Network
selnor said:
WereKitten said:

selnor said:

Your statement was about owned DVDs and re-buying them in BluRay, now you moved to talk about rental.

Now if you want to rent movies all your life instead of owning them, that's ok. You could do it last year for less than two euros per DVD, you will be soon be able to have more or less the same price for BluRay rental, you will likely have great prices with streaming offers. But the rent/own issue is orthogonal to the support/technology issue.

"Picture quality is now a moot subject. What we all just saw was amazing picture clarity."

This shows you clearly missed the whole point of the article and the demo. This was not about the picture clarity per se.

This "new technology" is about dynamically changing the bandwidth to allow smooth coping with network hiccups and start-time buffering. It's not like they introduced an exceptional new codec that reduces the bandwidth you need at a given resolution. You could stream 1080p yesterday and with no hiccups if you had a big enough buffer and a beefy PC. This "smoothstream" tech is nice in that it degrades gracefully if your bandwidth availability goes down or your CPU can't decode fast enough, and that will be useful for the 360.

But actually in the article it states that the VC1 codec it uses has lower picture quality (at this low bandwidth) than the H264 one usually used in Flash. Its advantage being that it is less CPU-intensive.

And btw, it's still about one tenth of the bandwidth available on a BluRay.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

XxXProphecyXxX said:
NKAJ said:
selnor said:
WereKitten said:

selnor said:

lol

"They will know heghan belongs to the helghast"

"England expects that everyman will do his duty"

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

NKAJ said:
XxXProphecyXxX said:
NKAJ said:
selnor said:
WereKitten said:

selnor said:

lol

If it's 1/10th of a BluRay, wheres the picture difference? Because Ive watched 4 Blu Raye now and they were no better than this. ( Well to the naked eye anyway. )

You really believe Blu Ray rental will come down? You think Blu Ray will get even half the amount of sales that DVD has gotten over the years? 80% of my friends have no intention to ever buy Blu Ray. They all own DVD players. Cost is the word, and they cannot be arsed to rebuy the same films. Price will always be to high for Blu Ray becasue adoption will be nowhere near DVD. Thats the problem for any new media interface.

Streaming is like owning in a way. You could watch the film here in UK 17 times on streaming ( £17 ) and it would still be less expensive than buying Blu Ray disc. Some Blu Ray films here are £26.99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My point is more than valid. I brought Rentals in as well as it's important to show how badly the BluRay medium is priced in general. And is exactly why I predict by 2012 that Blu Ray will be a very declining format, that never really took off.

DVD will be the last format to be adopt massively. Whether everyone likes it or not, the same was said of music downloads and streaming. Movies are most definately being adopted at a fast rate the same way. 360 has been playing a big roll in this to.

for me blu ray is better. the picture quality kept getting pixelated and blurry for some reason

Whats your connection sully? I wouldn't say its Blu-Ray quality (seen 100s of movies on Blu-Ray), but it is pretty close when running at full steam.  My stream was very smooth. Very impressive stuff.