+chrono
-Shin Megami Tensei

+ Suikoden
- Chrono

+SMT
-Xenosaga

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS

I agree with you that SMT is a great series indeed, Persona being the epitome of the series itself, even though I felt that the Digital Devil Saga felt a little bland and simplistic when compared to Nocturne and Persona.

The problem with SMT is that they stick too much with the same formula, just changing little bits in each game. Actually, in some aspects like difficulty, Social Link and Dating Mechanics, persona 4 was a step back to what persona 3 accomplished IMO.

I agree also that the FF series has been a with on the downside, my favourite one is FFVI, but FFVII, FFIX and FFXII were very good as well. The thing is that the FF series tries to inovate in each new entry of the series, be it a new mechanic, game theme (the exception being FFIX, which felt more like a tribute to the more old entries of the saga), and many other JRPG companies borrow those mechanics to their games, like FF did with the original DQ. In my assesment, that makes FF the best series in RPG history, not because one or two games where a bit lackluster, but because the saga as a whole, has contributed more towards RPG and JRPG than any other saga has ever contributed (except maybe DQ, JRPG as whe know it wouldn't exist if it wasn't for that magnificent saga).

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network

Awww man... I can NOT believe we forgot to add one of the biggest RPG franchises to the original list... the Super Mario RPG/Paper Mario series!!!

Oh well, next time...

+ Chrono
- Suikoden

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Shin Megami Tensei +
Xenosaga -

Final Fantasy sucks compared to Suikoden. But I'm voting for SMT now because I like to be on the winning side ...

+Shin Megami Tensei

-Chrono

Megaten+
Suikoden-

Now Playing!

^ This is you!

Garamond said:
Shin Megami Tensei +
Xenosaga -

Final Fantasy sucks compared to Suikoden. But I'm voting for SMT now because I like to be on the winning side ...

SMT has already won! But it's your duty as a Suikoden fan to ensure it gets 2nd place!