By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prototype outsells inFamous first week numbers

Of course a multiplatform game (Prototype) is going to outsell an exclusive (inFamous) in combined sales. Some of you guys say it as if its a huge achievement. If it wouldnt have happened it would have been an embarrassing failure because a multiplat should outsell an exclusive all the time.... Especially if theyre both new IPs. Considering how the 360 has a higher install base I would say that inFamous probably exceeded expectaions.

Around the Network
nightsurge said:

Prototype 360 version alone outsold the inFamous PS3 version's first week sales.  The Prototype PS3 version alone did not sell as well, but came to 175,000 for the first week.

Here are the official numbers:

Prototype 360:

1 n/a 216,914 67,300 284,214

Prototype PS3:

1 n/a 111,418 63,639 175,057

inFamous PS3:

1 n/a 174,149 79,068 253,217

Now I would have thought that inFamous would have sold better than this, or perhaps that Prototype would have sold worse.  From reviews it appears that inFamous was the better game, and from friends who have played both that appears to be the case.

Was Prototype helped by being multiplatform and by having the larger fan base and stronger advertising power of Microsoft?

Obviously the PS3 version of Prototype was hindered by inFamous.  It seems like if inFamous had gone multiplat, they would have easily doubled their total sales as of right now.

What are your thoughts on this?  This is not a fanboy Prototype vs inFamous thread.  They are both good games and I acknowledge that inFamous is better to the majority of people.

xbox 360 NA 17 MILLION USERS = 216K People bought Prototype

PS3  NA  8 MLLION USERS = 174K PEOPLE BOUGHT iNFAMOUS

Flame thread, yes sir, but looking it at It's actually not bad for InFAMOUS at all, but NA doesnt support PS3 this Generation at all, it weird the only times PS3 GAMES do well is when 360 games do better. Weird.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

intresting didnt see that coming. Both are great games IMO.

Carl2291 said:
Moderately advertised Multiplat beats a moderately advertised Exclusive.

Im not surprised.

Good numbers for both.

I don't agree, necessarily. I hardly ever saw a commercial for Kart, and I've seen just as many Infamous commercials as I have for Fable 2.

I think it's because Prototype had great word of mouth, it is very demonstrable with a great "WOW" demo, while infamous is not, and because Prototype is also on the Xbox 360, which means that it has access to a very software hungry fanbase. No matter how Sony fans would try to spin that fact, the 360 manages to have fantastic software sales, compared to other competition compared to relative userbase(the figure incorrectly known as attach rate), and if inFamous was a 360 exclusive, it would have sold better, and also, it would have sold better relative to actual userbase.

It certainly isn't the Sony fan's fault(except for those who bought the console mainly as a BR player). It is better to blame achievements, and general regional popularity. American's are easily reached by marketing, in general. Nobody ever bought a 360 to use exclusively as a DVD player, and not everyone in Norway caught the inFamous commercial.

This is a major reason why the PS3 is the only console yet to have a breakout exclusive, saleswise. 5 million units shipped, in huge exclusive terrirory, is only marginal, compared to the big guns at Microsoft and Nintendo.

This should change with the release of GT5, which doesn't require marketing in EU due to its huge popularity, and thus, can fairly compete with the easily influenced and versatile mainstream American market.

:P

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

20/30k dif using vgs numbers means nothing. Just look at UFC numbers how of they are.

Around the Network

do you guys recommend Prototype? I know some of you said it was good. I am very interested in the game, but I dunno if I wanna drop $60.

papflesje said:
Well, imho:

Xbox 360 version outsold infamous for several reasons.

The US has an infinite amount of Xbox 360 consoles compared to the rather measly PS3 numbers. X360 fans couldn't get infamous anyway, so they would head for Prototype. PS3 people had a choice and some went for column A, others for column B?

I don't know about advertizing because there wasn't any for either over here, so can't really judge based on that.

Yes the xbox 360 fanbase is strong.

mightymek said:
do you guys recommend Prototype? I know some of you said it was good. I am very interested in the game, but I dunno if I wanna drop $60.

I played it for about a day.  Considering getting it tommorrow.  Only things stopping me is that I'm moving soon  and want to have as much emergency cash as possible... and mandatory tank missions.

And I never want to spend 60 dollars on a game.   I've spent 60 dollars on Valkria Chronicles only.

I haven't even bought many $50 wii games.

Infamous will have better LTD sales than Prototype!!

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Carl2291 said:
Moderately advertised Multiplat beats a moderately advertised Exclusive.

Im not surprised.

Good numbers for both.

I don't agree, necessarily. I hardly ever saw a commercial for Kart, and I've seen just as many Infamous commercials as I have for Fable 2.

I certainly don't live in the same location as you do, but in NJ (near Trenton/Princeton), I saw absolutely no inFamous commercial, and one trailer before Terminator Salvation, while I saw a shit load of TV commercials, and promotion at my local Gamestop (forgot to check out the EBgames near by).

As for word of mouth, I was a skeptic of inFamous. Mainly because I didn't really understand how the targeting worked (I didn't see the reticle until I actually played the demo), it was a sandbox game, and seemed to have little strategy. After playing the demo, I was one of those people trying to convince skeptics that the game was a definite buy.

I know we PS3 fanboys are seen as overhyping our own stuff, but there were a decent number of people who weren't excited, either saying they didn't want to buy the game, or they'll buy it much later. I think it was up to word of mouth and a number of postive reviews that made inFamous a success. I don't think the advertising reached the mainstream at all, and even within the hardcore Sony base, the game wasn't being as hyped like Killzone 2.

Edit: Who the FUCK is that guy in the Gamestop commercials? Ugh!!! Don't they realize how douchey the guy sounds, I mean it sounds like a voice from South Park or something.