By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FTC cracking down on blogger payola

http://www.crn.com/security/218100716;jsessionid=ITNPOFMFXA51WQSNDLRSKH0CJUNN2JVN

BLOGS
The Channel Wire
June 22, 2009

The U.S. Federal Trade Commission has plans to crack down on blogosphere payola with guidelines that would impose penalties on bloggers who promote products without adequate disclosure.

The guidelines, expected to be released later this summer, would clarify that the FTC could pursue and penalize bloggers, as well as the companies which compensate them, for any false claims or failure to disclose conflicts of interest, according to The Associate Press.

The new FTC guidelines represent the first time a government agency is attempting to hold bloggers accountable for the content they produce, essentially preventing organizations from paying bloggers to endorse products or services and passing it off as objective commentary.

Supporters also contend that the guidelines would bring a badly needed uniform standard to the blogosphere.

"If you walk into a department store, you know the (sales) clerk is a clerk," said Rich Cleland, assistant director in the FTC's division of advertising practices, to the AP. "Online if you think that somebody is providing you with independent advice and... they have an economic motive for what they're saying, that's information a consumer should know."

Journalists who work for established news organizations are often not allowed to accept payments or gifts from marketers. Such organizations often have stringent policies in order to reduce conflicts of interest and ensure and maintain credibility with their respective audiences.

But there is no such across-the-board ethical standard for bloggers, who, until now, have not been subject to regulation for the content they generate. While some established blogs have published disclosure policies, such guidelines are not mandatory and bloggers can receive gifts or money in exchange for positive reviews or endorsements.

Until now, bloggers have enjoyed the ability to post content at their discretion without restrictions. Meanwhile, critics of the new impending restrictions say that FTC intervention would put too much pressure on bloggers to "prove" the authenticity of their endorsements or opinions, which would ultimately serve to limit the open nature of blog content.

While the FTC's Guides don't prohibit blogger endorsement, they scrutinize the genuineness of the endorser, mandating that they be someone, "who, as a result of experience, study or training, possesses knowledge of a particular subject that is superior to that generally acquired by ordinary individuals," according to an FTC document.

According to the Guides, the FTC will soon require that "endorsements must reflect the honest opinions, findings, beliefs or experience of the endorser" and may not "contain representations that would be deceptive, or could not be substantiated, if made directly by the advertiser."

Among other things, the Guides state that advertisements featuring "consumer endorsements" should utilize actual consumers. If there is a conflict of interest, endorsing bloggers are required to clearly publish the connection.

Meanwhile, bloggers could be forced to pay restitution to consumers or even face civil penalties for failing to adhere to the new restrictions.

Posted by Stefanie Hoffman at 6:19 PM
-------------------
This could be interesting, as there's been much discussion on review sites accused of receiving money for amping up products. If the FTC is going after blogs that are bribed, there's a chance they could go after independent gaming sites that post overly positive reviews or give games  a high score that rightfully didn't deserve them (GTA 4, I'm looking at you). Maybe the FTC will bring some honesty back to major gaming news/review sites? This has potential to be a pretty big thing.

Around the Network

Makes one wonder, especially in light of Gamepro's questionable reviews, how many people are going to get canned

That has the potential to be absolutely massive!

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

This is a good thing.

That is interesting. I suppose it was really a bit of a legal loophole on false advertising, its not advertising if you hire somebody else to lie about it for you.

Around the Network

This has potential to be serious dent in freedom of speech and promoting more politicall correctness.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Zlejedi said:
This has potential to be serious dent in freedom of speech and promoting more politicall correctness.

Not really--all it does is make sure that a critic actually backs up his statements.  That said, if it cleans up their mouths on the way, I'm all for it.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
thekitchensink said:
Zlejedi said:

Not really--all it does is make sure that a critic actually backs up his statements.  That said, if it cleans up their mouths on the way, I'm all for it.

It is actually a little bit of both. It makes critics back up statements but it can have a negative effect on freedom of speech too.

This law made it so I cannot post on my Twitter, "I just saw Movie X, it sucked." I have to give a massive explaination which with Twitter's text limit probably wouldn't allow someone to properly do.

How is this law going to differentiate between a general person, a person being paid off by a company for their statement, and a critic? it can't.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
thekitchensink said:
Zlejedi said:

It is actually a little bit of both. It makes critics back up statements but it can have a negative effect on freedom of speech too.

This law made it so I cannot post on my Twitter, "I just saw Movie X, it sucked." I have to give a massive explaination which with Twitter's text limit probably wouldn't allow someone to properly do.

How is this law going to differentiate between a general person, a person being paid off by a company for their statement, and a critic? it can't.

What you say makes sense, but it seems to only apply to people who may have a conflict of interest.

"The guidelines, expected to be released later this summer, would clarify that the FTC could pursue and penalize bloggers, as well as the companies which compensate them, for any false claims or failure to disclose conflicts of interest, according to The Associate Press."

So, for example, you would be penalized if you neglected to disclose that a big rival movie studio paid you to say 'Movie X sucked', or that your opinion is colored by a general dislike of studio x.

As long as there's no reason to believe you have a conflict of interest, you're in the clear.

Will this apply to Twitter type stuff?