By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - AHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

You guys keep talking about FRAPS, but come on. You could record game demos in DOOM. Yes, in 1993, you could record game demos on the PC. They've been around for 14 years, far longer than even FRAPS. :)

Around the Network

I don't think it's the first time it's been done in consoles, I'm pretty sure the original SSX had playback that you could save on the PS2, I'll have to dig it out to confirm though (man I loved that game).

Anyway, I don't think the playback itself is that innovative, but the fact that you can run the playback and everyone in your party can see it as well from whatever view they want, you can upload it to your fileshare for anyone else to download, and even take your own snapshots that automatically get uploaded to bungies website for you to do whatever you want with. It's just very well done and seamlessly integrated into the game and the community, I think that's what makes it innovative. Kinda like the way we say the wii is innovative, even though the wiimote wasn't the first motion contoller.

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |

Console FPS > CPU FPS, period.

Xbox Live Gamertag - Deathscythe X

AIM SN - Alexie Di Onie

Alexie Di Onie said:

what?

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout
Avalach21 said:
Alexie Di Onie said:

what?

Yeah... I'm confused too.  Maybe he meant Console FPS > PC FPS, but that doesn't make sense either lol. 

Around the Network

You have to be realistic in your assessment about knowledge and ignorance. Unfortunately not every person who is going to venture a opinion is going to have played every single game in a genre. You can try, but you will not have much of a life. So everyone on these forums is going to have missed a few games. The sad truth is just about every idea is going to have been tried in some game or another at some point.

Basically for every example you site like counterstrike or half life. There was probably an even earlier game that had the same idea. Should you be shamed for ignorance. Should someone come in rub it in your face. You might say Counterstrike and someone else comes in and says true, but you realize they stole that from Faceball.

The Halo series has a lot of innovative features, and more specifically popularized many features that could be found here and there in other games. Thats how progress is made. What is innovative is the specific little gimmicks, and the way the entire game was packaged. You would not find all the Halo elements in another game. You found them in a dozen different games. Bungie was innovative in that they compiled the best ideas, and proceeded to polish them out.

What is very interesting is the component of the logic that is most often ignored. What was the developers intent. For example the man cannon is quite similar to the cannon in Mario 64. While the cannon in 64 was designed for the purposes of getting Mario to another hidden area. The cannon in Halo 3 will take you farther into a battle field at the risk you will get shot in flight. The same basic concept with radically different reasons.

Basically you can whittle the innovation out of anything based on arbitrary standards that you yourself set. Eventually you get to the point where everything is a rip off of something built two thousand years ago, and because in some twisted logic it is kind of similar. The newest thing cannot be innovative.

Innovative is a relative term, but personally I define innovative as not sharing more then fifty percent of the constituent mechanics with any other game. That would apply to Halo. Sure it has similarities to concepts found in dozens of games, but it is not very similar to any of them. Halo is a dynamic and different experience. High lighting the effect that having a simple jump, or dropping tanks into a multiplayer map can do to an experience. A handful of small difference can have a radical result on how a game is played.

Remember when you nitpick you also leave yourself open to counterpoints. Eventually your going to get chased down to a pong, or a Super Mario Bros. You know since they share one single element with a game you claim to be innovative. Innovation is just as much in presentation as it is in the fine details.

@kenpachi
Ummmm, yeah ok.
Not to play a game of one upmanship but record and replay options were in a late 80's war game called Command HQ so it's even more ancient than many suspect.

Dodece said:
Innovative is a relative term, but personally I define innovative as not sharing more then fifty percent of the constituent mechanics with any other game. 

More than 50% you say?  I bet you could find 50%+ of the Halo series' gameplay mechanics in Counter Strike.  Other than that though I agree with your post.  

I don't if anyone mentioned it, buy I was doing this exact same thing when battlefield 2 came out a few years back. Nice, feature, but not innovative.

I think we're all forgetting a big game console game franchise which has had playback/record options for quite some time:

Madden.

If implementing a feature similar to one in Madden is "innovative", then I'm done with gaming

And I know (obviously) that Madden isn't a FPS (thought that would be innovation, Madden FPS), I'm just saying, the feature itself isn't very new to consoles.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.