By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - gamming.... 1080i x 1080p really diferent? Is worth?

I am LOST..

So, My PS3 is set to 1080i (PS3 recomended and has 1390 pixels horizontal), so.. is better 720P or 1080i? help! Thanks

PSN: franco-br
MGS4, GH, MW2, GT5p, WipeoutHD, etc..etc..

Around the Network
Tallgeese101 said:
TheThunder said:
Galaki said:
Console games don't do 1080p yet. So, no.

yes they do ever heard of upscaling ???

it's not true 1080p but it really makes a deference when you have a 42'+ 1080p TV

Incorrect.  No amount of upscaling will create detail that isnt there.

but it will full the Pixels gaps so it doesn't look that ugly. ever heard of UPscaled DVDs ??

@kibebr stick with what the PS3 recommends for you.

As I stated earlier, it really depends on the native resolution of your TV.

Match the native resolution of your TV with the output of your PS3.

- If you have a true 1080i TV (which do exist, but seem to be rare) then use 1080i.
- If you have a 720p TV that takes 1080i (more common) then use 720p.

If I had to choose between the two TV types above, I would choose the 720p native TV, as then you get a full frame every time, rather than getting half a frame and your TV having to deinterlace it. Depending on the quality of the TV, the deinterlacing can be as simple as just copying the data, or as complex as comparing frames and generating new data for it. If the TV uses the simplest form of deinterlacing, then you get a higher vertical resolution with 720p than you do 1080i, however you lose out on the horizontal resolution. If 1080i is output at 60FPS, and two frames are combined, then you would really be getting a 1080p at 30FPS signal, which if you don't care about the FPS would be better. In the end, the 720p vs. 1080i debate really depends on the hardware used and the type of video being watched.

Ultimately it really comes down to which you think looks the nicest, but odds are you won't be able to notice a difference

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

kibebr said:
I am LOST..

So, My PS3 is set to 1080i (PS3 recomended and has 1390 pixels horizontal), so.. is better 720P or 1080i? help! Thanks

Your best bet is to try it both ways.  The answer isn't always the same depending on your TV...  Games could make a difference too.

Generally, 720P will have better frame rate than 1080i as 1080i has to make two passes to display the image.

Galaki said:

Maybe if your console is the wii, but all my psn games run in 1080p native.  Not to mention a ton of other blu-ray games run in this resolution (whether through a upscale trick or not).  That statement is incorrect concerning HD consoles games not running in 1080p.

Around the Network

there are like 2 game with 1080p one is wipeout Hd, which i think sucks, also i think GoW 3 and the last gguardian will be 1080P

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

Avarice28 said:
Galaki said:

Maybe if your console is the wii, but all my psn games run in 1080p native.  Not to mention a ton of other blu-ray games run in this resolution (whether through a upscale trick or not).  That statement is incorrect concerning HD consoles games not running in 1080p.

The PS3 upscalse them to all run 1080p native on your TV. There are only a few PS3 games that are actually rendered at 1080p and go through no upscalling. Gran Turismo 5 is the only one I know for sure actually runs at 1080p with no upscalling (but supposedly not all sections of the game run at this resolution), while the other ones I'm thinking about I'm like 75% sure have no upscalling.

I would bet the same is true for PSN games unless they are incredibly basic like a card game.

The same can be said about X360/XBL.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy

1080i = 540p just bigger

the_bloodwalker said:
1080i = 540p just bigger

not true at all. 1080i has a much wider resolution than a 540p with 16:9 resolution would create. The horizontal resolution is also not the same depending on how you deinterlace the image. 1080i is closer to 1080p with half the frame rate.

TheThunder said:
Tallgeese101 said:
TheThunder said:
Galaki said:

yes they do ever heard of upscaling ???

it's not true 1080p but it really makes a deference when you have a 42'+ 1080p TV

Incorrect.  No amount of upscaling will create detail that isnt there.

but it will full the Pixels gaps so it doesn't look that ugly. ever heard of UPscaled DVDs ??

@kibebr stick with what the PS3 recommends for you.

Well dvd upscalers use all sorts of algorithms to clean up the picture before sending the signal to your display.  720p to 1080p is a simple x1.5 stretch.

Testing MGS4 and KZ2 both output 720p which my TV upscales.  If  I force the PS3 to output in 1080p I dont notice any difference.