By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Last gen games taht still amaze you?

Wind Waker FTW! One of the most beautiful games made, all time, period.

RE:4, looks really really nice!

Beware, I live!
I am Sinistar!
Beware, coward!
I hunger!
Roaaaaaaaaaar!

At least 62 million Wii sold by the end of 09 or my mario avatar will get sad
Around the Network

I do have to say, the graphics in God of War 1 and 2 were totally kickass, I can't even imagine what God of War 3 is going to look like. I'm still amazed by the prospect that it could look better than God of War 2.

leo-j said:

Amaze me? Its on topic.. soriku close your eyes.

god of war: 2

Crisis core: FF VII

Halo: 2

Paper mario:N64

FF:VII

obviously ff7 on the PC, didn't look nearly that good on ps1.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

I dunno...FFVII looked way smoother than the other PS1 FF games. I think they used fewer polygons, but that just made everybody look smooth and angular, they used more polygons in the later games, but that made them look pixelated, because they couldn't put enough polygons in to make them look smooth and detailed at the same time.

Apostrovich said:
I dunno...FFVII looked way smoother than the other PS1 FF games. I think they used fewer polygons, but that just made everybody look smooth and angular, they used more polygons in the later games, but that made them look pixelated, because they couldn't put enough polygons in to make them look smooth and detailed at the same time.
Smoother because they had uniform textures maybe....but there's no way the actual character models of seven are smoother than the ones from say, 9.

Around the Network

Gran Turismo 4 still has very comparable graphics when compared to the current generations games.  The car models still look fantastic, in game or during replays. The sound of wind resistance as it muffles the background music when going at high speeds still impresses me.

Test Drive Le Mans still manages to baffle me due to Dreamcasts limited disc space.  A 26 car field with realistic AI that actually makes mistakes, dynamic weather effects that changes as the day moves on and wonderful lighting effects all within the same (real time) 24 hour race.

God Of War 2 and Resident Evil 4

Heeeeyyyy!!!! <Snap>

No way in hell do the walking-around character models hold a candle to the other games in the series, but the in-battle ones were way better in 7. I wished they kept them like that in 8 and 9, at least for the in-battle sequences. 8 and 9 kind of bugged me with how pixelated the battle models looked, they looked exactly the same as the non-battle ones. It gets really apparent if you check out some close ups, like clouds face vs squalls face in a battle. Cloud's face can't look pixelated because it's probably just like five polygons stuck together. Squalls has way more polygons, makes for better articulation and texture, but there wasn't enough power to make enough polygons to make them look as smooth as 7 looked.

Also, I popped GTA3 into my PS3 the other day, I was actually struck by how good it still looks. The upscaler may very well have been in effect, but you can't make a PS2 game look THAT much better with upscaling, I don't know if it even works with that game. Sure loads faster.

Last Gen ???... Last Gen ??? Sorry but I´ve been around so long I have seen pixels grow up (well not that long but if you take a look at the original Pitfall you´ll know what I´m saying). There are plenty of SNES games that still blow my mind, maybe I´m a hopeless nostalgic  or just living in the past but games like Link to the Past, Mario World, Star Fox, Crono Trigger or Street Fighter II still impress me, not with what is possible but with what can be done with the means you have, sure Star Fox is only Cubes flying around... but at the time it was like peeking into another dimension, for me style has always been more important than polygons and shaders, look at Picasso... most of his work looks like a child drew it, but the man had style, he went right to the point making things as simple as possible, there are many ways to amaze people some are flamboyant others are simple.

Pikmin 1
Melee
GTA 3