By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Activision threatens to "stop supporting" Sony consoles.

Slimebeast said:
Chill people, it's just a way of asking Sony to drop the price to $299.

It's not a real threat by no means.

This, I think publishers are trying to scare sony into cutting the price, I mean who wouldnt want more sales? Acitvision isnt stupid, COD4 did sell over 5 million copies on the PS3.

mM
Around the Network

Yeah... I used to believe, and still do on some purely idealistic level, that keyboard and mouse are the only good way to play an FPS. But now I've invested so much time in learning to shoot people in the head with a 360 controller... And maybe now that I've played Killzone 2 I can even manage on the PS3.

Activision is in no position to tell another company to cut the price of their product when they themselves charge more for old games such as cod4 than when the games launched.

JGarret said:

http://kotaku.com/5296566/activision-threatens-to-stop-supporting-sony-consoles

"Bear in mind there's a degree of saber-rattling to this, but still; Activision boss Bobby Kotick has warned Sony that his company - the world's largest third-party publisher - may cease support the PS3 and PSP.

Speaking with The Times, Kotick said "I'm getting concerned about Sony; the PlayStation 3 is losing a bit of momentum and they don't make it easy for me to support the platform. It's expensive to develop for the console, and the Wii and the Xbox are just selling better. Games generate a better return on invested capital on the Xbox than on the PlayStation".

Subtle. But wait. It gets subtler.

"They have to cut the price, because if they don't, the attach rates are likely to slow", he continues. "If we are being realistic, we might have to stop supporting Sony...When we look at 2010 and 2011, we might want to consider if we support the console - and the PSP [portable] too".

In that absolute worst-case scenario, that would mean no Call of Duty for Sony consoles. No Guitar Hero for Sony consoles. No Tony Hawk, either. It probably won't ever come to that, of course, but Kotick's words are still worth noting. After all, when was the last time you ever saw a third-party publisher so openly threaten a major platform holder?"

It happens a lot for the last 3 years for Nintendo. 3rd parties blame it for their own incompetence / reluctance.

damndl0ser said:
Steroid said:
damndl0ser said:
I wonder if any of this turmoil will influence what Sony does next gen with the PS4. It seems like they may be stuck with this type of problem unless they want to drop the backward compatability for the PS3.

You cares about PS4? Some fanbois might be looking forward to a new system by next year but not Sony fanboys.

On topic: as someone who doesn't give a crap about either WoW or COD: Activision can go kick rocks.

I have owned every Playstation Console to date so why wouldn't I care about a PS4?    While I may be a 360 supporter, I am not anti PS3 or anti Sony for that matter.  And to be honest you have no fricking clue as to what your talking about.

Who the fuck wants to talk about a console that's coming out 3-8 years? In 2013 this thread will be long dead. You flaming FUD and you know it. Activision dude talked a little bit of trash and you're talkin about "what will Sony do" for a console that doesn't exist and most likely won't exist for another 5 years.

Around the Network

It wouldn't make sense for them to stop supporting any time soon, they're still making tons of money. Besides, this comes from a guy who would probably like the consoles to be free despite the losses it would cause. He's probably been complaining about prices more than everyone else together.

skip said:

Activision is in no position to tell another company to cut the price of their product when they themselves charge more for old games such as cod4 than when the games launched.

Also, charging a human level for each of their cheap-as-hell-plastic guitars.

In other words:

Activision are making alot of money of the PS3.
Activision are asking for more money off the PS3.

You see, they will never stop supporting it cause they do make money off the platform...

Actually I find it hilarious that DJ HERO costs more than the PS2..

mM
Alic0004 said:
Squilliam said:
A year without an Infinity Ward FPS would be like another Halo 3 year, not good for Sony at all.

Wait... why are we laughing again?

Because it shall never happen!

Tease.