By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Activision threatens to "stop supporting" Sony consoles.

Bitmap Frogs said:
amp316 said:
So basically he's saying that it costs too much to develop games for a company that's not making him much money? How dare he?

That isn't a sound business strategy at all. This is why Activision isn't a very strong 3rd party developer.

They are actually the strongest 3rd party developer after dethroning EA a couple years ago.

They won't be any longer if they drop Sony platforms. Just saying :P

Around the Network

Activision will be the first of many, PS3 is a TOTAL disaster, always has been always will be, good on Acitivision I say, about time publishers had the balls to say what they really think, now they have came out and said this others will follow as they won't be worried about causing upset to Sony,

No price drop, hard and expensive to make games for, selling poorly, lowest install base, being outsold weekly by wii360, ps3 japan and u.s weekly sales numbers now at the lowest point since 2007, most multiplatform games STILL run/look better on 360 (ghostbusters anyone), high royalties for publishers, charging publishers for PSN bandwidth, list goes on,

Expect Activision to be the first of many, this will be the ultimate downfall and final blow for Sony, bye bye PS3.........

Steroid said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
evo03 said:

I can understand that he wants Sony to increase its marketshare so he can sell more titles but Activision shareholders would have his @$$ if he did something this stupid. This isn't like the Gamecube where sales were severely lacking for third parties the PS3 sells games and lots of them and will continue to do so into the future. Dropping support now is leaving lots of money on the table.

Depends, for example if they went exclusive to Wii for a lot of games, they'd probably make more money than they'd lose by dumping Sony

Exactly because the Wii version of WaW sold so much more on Wii then it did on PS3! XD

See the reason for that is the Wii version was just a game with tacked on motion controls, you could tell they put more effort into the PS3/360 version, now, if they had put all their focus on creating a really good Wii version, the game would probably have sold a lot, like Miyamoto said, you have to bring your A games on the Wii if you want to sell

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

You people seem to think that Activision would be hurt by leaving Sony's platforms, but the truth is that they would be better off with a much higher profit margin. The way they do their big games is that they have two separate teams working on the 360 and PS3 games so that they are on par with each other. By dropping all those people who work on the PS3 versions of their games and increasing their sales on the 360 (I'm sure that many people will follow the CoD franchise over to the 360... it is the most popular game besides GTA4 on the PS3) This will create a further gap between the 360 and PS3 as well as possibly creating a snowball effect. Activision doesn't need Sony in order to make money they wouldn't even be saying this if dropping Sony's platforms would cause them a drop in profit margin.

FKNetwork said:

Activision will be the first of many, PS3 is a TOTAL disaster, always has been always will be, good on Acitivision I say, about time publishers had the balls to say what they really think, now they have came out and said this others will follow as they won't be worried about causing upset to Sony,

No price drop, hard and expensive to make games for, selling poorly, lowest install base, being outsold weekly by wii360, ps3 japan and u.s weekly sales numbers now at the lowest point since 2007, most multiplatform games STILL run/look better on 360 (ghostbusters anyone), high royalties for publishers, charging publishers for PSN bandwidth, list goes on,

Expect Activision to be the first of many, this will be the ultimate downfall and final blow for Sony, bye bye PS3.........

ROFL, keep dreaming

Around the Network
BladeOfGod said:
FKNetwork said:

ROFL, keep dreaming

Keep dreaming about what? nothing I said is incorrect and you know it,

Funny isn't it how all of a sudden ps3 owners don't like activision games anyway so don't care if they stop making games for the platform, PS3 fanboy damage control in full swing lmao....

Bitmap Frogs said:
amp316 said:
So basically he's saying that it costs too much to develop games for a company that's not making him much money? How dare he?

That isn't a sound business strategy at all. This is why Activision isn't a very strong 3rd party developer.

They are actually the strongest 3rd party developer after dethroning EA a couple years ago.

Some people just don't get it...

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

amp316 said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
amp316 said:

Some people just don't get it...

Some people just can't see the forest for the trees ...

Not including the Guitar Hero or Call of Duty games, Activision has sold (roughly) 5 Million games on the PS3; and while none of those games are "System Sellers" their combined influence on people's purchasing habits is probably similar to a 5 Million selling game series. Although the loss of one publisher isn't the end of the world, if it motivates other publishers to make similar actions it can really hurt a platform.

FKNetwork said:
BladeOfGod said:
FKNetwork said:

ROFL, keep dreaming

Funny isn't it how all of a sudden ps3 owners don't like activision games anyway so don't care if they stop making games for the platform, PS3 fanboy damage control in full swing lmao....

the parts i bolded was wrong.

And all PS3 owners were saying is that only Activision games that matters to them are COD games

FKNetwork said:
BladeOfGod said:
FKNetwork said:

ROFL, keep dreaming

Even allowing for higher royalties, going by the numbers showing over 38% of Prototype sales launch week where from PS3 I doubt Activision is in any way, shape or form in a position it can abandon PS3 as a platform.  Lose approx 35% to 40% of most titles sales and associated profits?  Seems unlikely.

Activision doesn't want PS3 to fail, it wants lower royalties and more PS3s in the market so it can sell even more SW.

And his comments are clearly part of a campaign (overt and otherwise) to put presure on Sony to take the two steps that Activision want:

1) give somewhat better royalty terms

2) reduce PS3 price

Also, considering timing.  Would his comments hold the same water before MW2 releases and sells huge amounts on both the 360 and the PS3 or before?  I'd say that before is the clear answer.  He knows that the window when he can put this much pressure on Sony is probably closing.

If MW2 sells 4M plus on PS3 (which it surely will) he can harder go on about poor sales, etc. can he?  If PS3 install base rises on the back of GT5, FFXIII, etc. his bargining position is weaker.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if, thinking even further ahead, he isn't hoping a PS3 price cut forces a 360 price cut - two birds for one stone!  More PS3s and 360s in the marketplace - more MW, CoD and GH sales!  Happy days for Activision.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...