By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Activision threatens to "stop supporting" Sony consoles.

Then i guess you got cryogenically frozen in '07 and woke up 2 years later

Around the Network
TheThunder said:

if I were Sony I would call him on his bluff. He would be fired the next day if he did it. Seriously think about it.

Unless they think the money going to ps3 projects can make more profit if they are put on other ones, or they think they can get a deal to decrease the license fee they pay to Sony or if they think they can pressure a faster price cut. It could be all three as well. I don't know if they can make more money if they stopped ps3 support, but if their financials and models point to it being the case there is no reason for them to continue the support. Lastly, did you see CEOs being fired when they stopped GC support? If not why is this any different?

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS

JEDE3 said:

How did you know!?

/Sarcasm

I really don't want to support Activision for this anymore. Only products I will buy are Modern Warfare 2 and of course Starcraft, but that's it.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 > Modern Warfare 2

FKNetwork said:
JEDE3 said:

How did you know!?

/Sarcasm

Because your post was from the mind set of someone who is stuck 2 years in the past.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
TheThunder said:

if I were Sony I would call him on his bluff. He would be fired the next day if he did it. Seriously think about it.

What do you mean by calling his bluff? Never cutting the PS3 price before 2012?

if he wants to throw money away let him drop the support for COD and GH and see how the shareholders like it when their profits are down from last year

gebx said:
markers said:
stop supporting a console you sold an estimated 13.55 million games on?

http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?name=&keyword=&console=PS3®ion=All&developer=&publisher=14&genre=&boxart=Both&results=50&order=Hits

how bout making something great before you stop supporting a console that sells your crappy games.

That's 13.55 million copies over 29 games (467,000/game), and if you take out the top three games (CoD4, GH3, GHWT), the average drops to 235,000 copies/game

Q - So what if Activision just deciced to drop everything except for GH and CoD?

A - They probably make more Profit, because the developers would not be making these statements if they were HAPPY with the PS3.

Just to compare to the 360

38.04 million over 39 games (975,000 copies/game)

Take out the top 3 game and that's 23 million over 36 games (638,000 copies/games)

Plus a key point he made was that it was more difficult to develop for the PS3, as compared to the 360.  Eventhough others have said, it's not more difficult, it's been mostly from people who are exclusive to that console.  The bottomline is ROI...I'm sure they aren't losing money, but they can get better returns by working on other projects...that's the bottomline. 

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/media/article6531367.ece?print=yes&randnum=1245400825888

“Such a physical interface could be ideal for Sony,” he says, building up the sales pitch, before he warns that he will “generate better returns on invested capital” on the Wii and the Microsoft console

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

heruamon said:
gebx said:
markers said:
stop supporting a console you sold an estimated 13.55 million games on?

http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?name=&keyword=&console=PS3®ion=All&developer=&publisher=14&genre=&boxart=Both&results=50&order=Hits

how bout making something great before you stop supporting a console that sells your crappy games.

That's 13.55 million copies over 29 games (467,000/game), and if you take out the top three games (CoD4, GH3, GHWT), the average drops to 235,000 copies/game

Q - So what if Activision just deciced to drop everything except for GH and CoD?

A - They probably make more Profit, because the developers would not be making these statements if they were HAPPY with the PS3.

Just to compare to the 360

38.04 million over 39 games (975,000 copies/game)

Take out the top 3 game and that's 23 million over 36 games (638,000 copies/games)

Plus a key point he made was that it was more difficult to develop for the PS3, as compared to the 360.  Eventhough others have said, it's not more difficult, it's been mostly from people who are exclusive to that console.  The bottomline is ROI...I'm sure they aren't losing money, but they can get better returns by working on other projects...that's the bottomline. 

That's not really the case for a company whose stated strategy is to to work on a very limited number of titles with the goal for each of those titles to be megablockbusters like Activision have been stating for the last 2 years...

Working on more project would just be counterproductive with that.

Fact is Activision CEO should stop talking out of his ass and realize that his statement may be aimed at Sony but it's bound to anger fans that are PS3 owners and angering your fans for no reason is never a good move....

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Aiemond said:
TheThunder said:

Unless they think the money going to ps3 projects can make more profit if they are put on other ones, or they think they can get a deal to decrease the license fee they pay to Sony or if they think they can pressure a faster price cut. It could be all three as well. I don't know if they can make more money if they stopped ps3 support, but if their financials and models point to it being the case there is no reason for them to continue the support. Lastly, did you see CEOs being fired when they stopped GC support? If not why is this any different?

it simple really if you are going to drop a source of a profit (yes their games on PS3 bring profit big time) then you should find another source that replaces that gap you made or else shareholders are going to pissed. PS3 games may sell less than 360 but they still bring them great revenue and profit each year and they can't just say no to that it just won't happen. PSP on the other brings only like 1% of their revenue according to their financial report back in 2008

TheThunder said:
Aiemond said:
TheThunder said:

it simple really if you are going to drop a source of a profit (yes their games on PS3 bring profit big time) then you should find another source that replaces that gap you made or else shareholders are going to pissed. PS3 games may sell less than 360 but they still bring them great revenue and profit each year and they can't just say no to that it just won't happen. PSP on the other brings only like 1% of their revenue according to their financial report back in 2008

That's what I am saying. That they are going to replace the ps3 projects with ones that have better returns. They explain this to shareholders by using their models, graphs, figures etc that they used to come to this conclusion and then talk about how much more they will make with these investments. Also, coupled with the comments he makes, it seems they make less profit off a ps3 project than they would a similar 360 profit cause costs are higher.

From the times article: http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/media/article6531367.ece?print=yes&randnum=1245400825888

The target is Sony, the once-dominant hardware maker. “I'm getting concerned about Sony; the PlayStation 3 is losing a bit of momentum and they don't make it easy for me to support the platform. It's expensive to develop for the console, and the Wii and the Xbox are just selling better. Games generate a better return on invested capital on the Xbox than on the PlayStation,” he says

So, they say no to PS3 if they think they can take the money they are spending on it and put it to a more porfitable project.

This is prolly what happened to MW2 wii imo, even though it makes me sad to admit it.

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS