By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which *New* Super Mario game will win when all is said and done?

We all know the DS version will sell better, and as awesome as the Wii version will be, I'm guessing it will generally be reviewed worse for the simple fact that it's the greatest no brainers in years to be an obvious online game that won't have online.

Personally, the lack of online for this 4 player focused game was one of the biggest dissapointments of E3.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

While I'm sure NSMBWii will be a great local multiplayer game, I think it will suffer as a single player game because of its multiplayer design, and it doesn't have an online mode so that a person alone can find people to play with. I think this will cause both sales and reviews to suffer.

I'm going with DS version on both counts.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Words Of Wisdom said:
RCTjunkie said:
Snesboy said:
Paperdiego said:
its hard to say.
i mean sure its easy enough to say that the DS one would sell more simply becasue its seems that what ever gam come out on the DS , its sells.

but if we look at Mario Kart Wii, a game that everyone was mocking when announced and even upon its release, it has outsold its DS counterpart and is on its way to becoming a 20 million+gamin sales wise.

tuff to tell

Even though Double Dash!! is superior in every possible way.

Haha, that's so funny! I almost cried cracking up! ROFLMBO!

Now tell us, how did that statement make you really feel?

It makes me question snesboy's taste in racing games.

RCTjunkie said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
RCTjunkie said:
Snesboy said:
Paperdiego said:
its hard to say.
i mean sure its easy enough to say that the DS one would sell more simply becasue its seems that what ever gam come out on the DS , its sells.

but if we look at Mario Kart Wii, a game that everyone was mocking when announced and even upon its release, it has outsold its DS counterpart and is on its way to becoming a 20 million+gamin sales wise.

tuff to tell

Haha, that's so funny! I almost cried cracking up! ROFLMBO!

Now tell us, how did that statement make you really feel?

It makes me question snesboy's taste in racing games.

I respect his opinion Mario kart wii < double dash. That's how I think of it

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

While I do think the Wii version will get good reviews and sell great, I don't think it'll be a mactch for the DS game. I honestly can't see it selling 20 million +, nor receiving reviews as glowing as the handheld incarnation did. We'll see though.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:
Wii wont score as high. Sales, I'm still unsure. I'm leaning towards DS but I keep thinking about how well Mario Kart Wii has sold.

NSMB was the first 2D Mario in a long time. NSMB is one copy per player, NSMB Wii is one copy for upto 4 players. However, this is Super Mario Bros we're talking about and I think the multiplayer aspect will be what makes it huge. Holiday season '09, lots of parties, Wii get's switched on, NSMB get's played, everyone buys it. I think word of mouth will make this a big hit.

Mario Kart Wii is 10M ahead of MK DS from launch. I never thought MK Wii would have done so well, so I'm going to go with NSMB Wii. I like to think it could do MKWii numbers but I think it will be lower.

I predict 12M first year putting it ~2.5M higher than NSMB DS from launch.

When a game is good being multiplayer never hurts its sales.

For every person who would have bought it but decides not too because he can play multiplayer at a friend's house, there are ten players who would never have bought it but decide to because of the great experience playing it at a friends house.

Snesboy said:
Paperdiego said:
its hard to say.

tuff to tell

Remind me to never take your opinion on games.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

My Opinion: (every post in here is purely opinions but I wanted to make it clear that I am not stating these as facts or trying to)

NSMB DS vs. NSMB Wii
Sales:
DS Obviously will have higher sales for a long time, but after 2-3 years (or 1-2 if NSMBWii takes off better than MKWii) this will start to trail behind the Wii version and the Wii Version will end up selling more. This process will be quickened greatly if Nintendo releases a New Super Mario World on the DS (god I hope so).

Score:
The Wii version will be criticized for not doing online (which the DS version doesn't but isn't expected to), the Wii version will be criticized because it is a remake/sequel and will be seen as too much of a rehash for some critics, the Wii version's new built in strategy guide feature will not go over well with critics (but I suspect will be popular - as are strategy guides now).

All in All I expect the Wii version to be slightly more fun for me (yoshi, 4 player coop and 80+ levels! are you kidding?). I also expect NSMB DS to end somewhere between 18-21 million in sales while NSMB Wii ends >22 million - but again I am only basing this off of my educated opinion.

Currently dreaming of: DKC4 or Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (classic 2D platformers) for WiiWare, Smash Bros. for DSi, New Super Mario World for DSi, a Wii remake or true sequel of Final Fantasy Tactics.

One down, hopefully more awesomeness to come.