By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii60 Gap CLOSING in - People FINALLY going for Cheapest Option?

@trestres

BTW I mean weekly gap

I am not dumb & blind you know

thank you trestres

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

Wii Sports Resort = June rise
MH3= brief August rise
FFCC- brief Winter rise
NSMB Wii- Christmas destruction

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

I think the line-up of games they have at this point says it all.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

The amount by which the Wii extends its overall sales lead each week has gone down recently in the Americas.

That is probably a factor of everything from game release schedules to Microsoft FUD (the post-E3 drop could be people hearing about Project Natal and waiting to buy -- for now) to temporary market saturation.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

@Saviour: WSR is more like an August rise, since it comes out the last week of July in the US.
MH3 isn't coming out this year in the US and then it won't have any effect either.
FFCC:CB is coming out this "Winter" which includes almost all Jan, Feb and March 2010, so it's possibly a 2010 Q1 release that will have barely no effect on HW sales.
NSMBWii rise will happen in Nov/Dec since it's "Holidays 09"
Wii Fit+ comes out this Fall, in other words Late Sept/Oct/Early Nov, that's a rise there too.
Then there's pretty much nothing else that big. Beatles Rockband, M&S at the Winter Olympics, Guitar Hero 5, DJ Hero might boost sales a bit, but nothing out of the extraordinary. This year will obviously favour 360 in terms of YoY performances due to big games getting released at the end of the year and a positive YoY first half.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

Wii has reached saturation and is now "normal" sales, which is still > 360 sales. Wii will still be extremely strong this holiday season. I think it will have trouble beating PS3 + 360 sales combined most weeks, but it will stay on top most weeks.

Lower price of 360 helps it's sales a lot as a second console. I mean, at $129 with a 20gb hard drive how could I not pick it up, even though I would have preferred a PS3.

You know what's the dumbest thing about this closing the Wii sales gap. Is that the less numerical cruncher will actually believe that the 360 is catching up in sales. I know this because my wife actually thinks 360 is catching up. She listens to the SA forums a lot rather than any serious market discussion. This has led her to a firm belief that
Wii has had a dramatic decrease in sales that the other systems have been going up and are passing the Wii. Each.
This belief is so firm that she doesn't even listen to the numerical facts.

I think it's obvious that a closing the sales gap doesn't actually have any reference to catching up in sales. Just because your not out distancing by 10:1 and now only 2:1 doesn't mean your still not outdistancing.

Regardless Nintendo is in control. They have been planning methods to keep the Wii sales "excited". That's why the Black Wii is coming out. While I won't be upgrading, others will and some people who have been waiting will also buy. If they time it's release to the starting of the next wave of games(later this year). It will do really well. Similar to DSLite -> DSi.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

@.jayderyu: You cannot upgrade to a Black Wii because that's Japan only.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

Soriku said:
Wii Sports Resort.

That is all.

This. People are REALLY underestimating the sell power of Wii Sports Resort. People bought Wiis just for Wii Sports. It's going to sell like crazy from It's release to XMas, topped with Wii Fit 2 the Wii sales will go crazy again... especially during the holidays where the Wii becomes "rare" again.

Sadly despite the 360 being so cheap and to feature built in memory (and that $20-$30 option to buy a 20 giger HD on fleabay) and so many damn games to chose from, people rather have the family friendly Wii. Granted I don't blame them if they never cared for games before and want some very casual (and thats why MS is gonna drive Natal in full force next year).

It's just that simple.

Neither FFCC:CB nor ToG will move significant amount of Wii consoles in the USA.

I remember seeing Winter release, could that mean a Christmas launch date?

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies