By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Lets talk Alan Wake.

To be honest, it looks like RE4 in the woods, killing RE4 ganados and some Silent Hill psychic guys thrown in for good measure. I picture a RE4 remake somewhat like this game, graphically and gameplay speaking.
It has some action moments that kinda ressemble the FEAR games, and that's good. Flaws aside, AW is my most antecipated horror game this gen.

Around the Network
celticlonewolf said:
Remember that this was the actual first time that the game was showen live which means that they really wanted to make a impact. Maybe they thought that showing the puzzle side of it just wouldnt have had as much impact as showing the more action side of the game. Pluse showing action instead of the puzzle and and mind playing part of the game insures they dont leak any sort of big story spoilers.
Reason for so much ammo
could be that when people usualy demo games on stage they use a code that gives them extra health, ammo etc so that they can play the game and not worry about getting killed. It insures that they can play through the part of teh game that they wanted to show in the time that is given them lol would be so funny if they kept getting killed at the same spot and there time ran out.
I agree with the looks of this game it simply is amazing. Before e3 there were planty of people(most I would say not knowing exactly what they were on about) saying how the 360 was maxed out graphicly then Alan Wake comes along(with some other games to) and gave them all a big slap in the face.
I have been looking forward to this game for a long time and cant wait to delv into its strange world.

This is a perfect analysis of what Remedy chose to show - and not show, of Alan Wake, and why the E3 footage only represents a slightly limited and specific side of the game.

Shadowblind said:
Slimebeast said:
Wow, so few replies but so much confusion already in this thread about which gameplay and genre Alan Wake belongs to.

Guys, just think GTA4 and you don't have to ponder anymore.

Hmm, the gameplay trailer didn't make me think of GTA4 at all. I'm not seeing that, it looks like it has much more free movement actions then GTA4 did.

Actually I am glad that it didn't. Because that probably means that Remedy managed to make the gameplay feel quite unique, instead of just "oh, it's Assassin's Creed in a pine tree landscape setting'.

But if you analyze it, you'll realize that the gameplay mechanics, interaction, view angles, camera movement, scale, controlling input etc is much more reminiscent of GTA4 (and all these other action-(adventure) games I listed) than for example third person shooters like RE5, Dead Space and Gears of War.

I highly anticipate this game and will probably buy it for PC. Of course reason that this game comes out from finnish game developer also influence to my purchase decision ( I will buy it even it it turns out mediocre)

This game will be great, but I noticed some issues with the shadows. I am not sure if it is intentional, but after Alan kills someone, their shadows are left behind. The flare's shadow looks like a cat's head.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
Shadowblind said:
Slimebeast said:
Wow, so few replies but so much confusion already in this thread about which gameplay and genre Alan Wake belongs to.

Guys, just think GTA4 and you don't have to ponder anymore.

Hmm, the gameplay trailer didn't make me think of GTA4 at all. I'm not seeing that, it looks like it has much more free movement actions then GTA4 did.

Actually I am glad that it didn't. Because that probably means that Remedy managed to make the gameplay feel quite unique, instead of just "oh, it's Assassin's Creed in a pine tree landscape setting'.

But if you analyze it, you'll realize that the gameplay mechanics, interaction, view angles, camera movement, scale, controlling input etc is much more reminiscent of GTA4 (and all these other action-(adventure) games I listed) than for example third person shooters like RE5, Dead Space and Gears of War.

I know what your saying, but the gameplay in its entirety simply looked much smoother and easier to control then GTA 4. The angles were much more fixed, so the camera can't be messed up.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Can't wait to see the deeper aspects of the game. The game looks/sounds fantastic and i'm glad to see they have the action gameplay elements sorted. Looking forward to the more atmospheric, non-action gameplay trailer.

Playing: Borderlands(great co-op,HUGE amount of content),Too Human(better late than never lol),Saints Row 3(Penetrator ftw),Minecraft 360,Harry Potter Lego. 

Patiently waiting for:  Tomb Raider, Borderlands 2

Demo:

_mevildan said:
Damn all you 360 owners! :)

Remedy makes quality stuff, so I am sure this is going to be awesome. I posted a thread quite a while ago about upgrading to vista or getting an x360 just to play this. Time will tell...

there is a PC Version, you don't have too :).

Xoj said:
_mevildan said:
Damn all you 360 owners! :)

Remedy makes quality stuff, so I am sure this is going to be awesome. I posted a thread quite a while ago about upgrading to vista or getting an x360 just to play this. Time will tell...

there is a PC Version, you don't have too :).

Thats right! All you need is a rig that can play the second most impressive looking game to Crysis!

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.