By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Analyst: Wii Price Cut Coming This Holiday Season

Squilliam said:
superchunk said:
@squilliam - ok, I'll give you that if WSR/Conduit/MH3/EASportActive don't cause a significant push through the remainder of summer, then I would also agree there is no way they are hitting the 26m shipped.

However, that does not mean there will be any price cut. If they still feel they will hit 20m+ a similar number sold to last year, they will not cut the price.

But, my point about apr-jun range still stands. MKWii killed last year and this year there is nothing big, yet.

The question is, how flexible their production lines are. If they would otherwise idle a reasonable percentage of their production which they put in place to deal with the Wiis massive sales they could be better off with a small price cut because unused production adds to the average cost of the Wii.

The last few years nintendo was sold out. No stock on shelves for NA and greater parts of EU. However, they did push production up to ensure they saw big gains in holidays, still sold out, but big gains.

This year they are stockpiling so they don't have to ramp up production so much. It will probably still sell out between black friday and Christmas. This massive selling of what will be a plentiful stock plus given the big games launching in this fiscal year is why there will definitely be NO price cut and a very strong support for Nintendo making their projections of 26m shipped.

Before xmas we know we have some quality 3rd party titles, WSR, NSMBWii. After xmas, but before the end of March we have the possibility of SMG2 and Metroid:M along with many more quality 3rd party titles.

Black Wii with big games will = massive sales Oct - Dec.

Around the Network

I like the Pachter comment about 15%. Went and looked in some of my archives about predictions, and realized just how wrong is usually is. Basically whatever he says is definitely NOT going to happen, and that's about all we can gather from his comments. Not sure why he still has a job.

Hardware is only a means to enjoy great games!

he may not always be right but i feel like he probably has a better view than most since he's talking to the companies all the time

I would take VGChartz predictions over his any day of the week ;)

moondeep said:
I would take VGChartz predictions over his any day of the week ;)

Exactly.

There are at least 10 people on this site, including myself, who have been more acurate than the greater majority of analysts out there, especially Pachter.

Around the Network
jahheim said:
he may not always be right but i feel like he probably has a better view than most since he's talking to the companies all the time

Is that why he predicted a April price cut for PS3 then backtrack it and changed it to June-Sept?

Sometimes I seriously don't know what his connections really get him.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Gotta go with saicho on this one. Pachter 'revises' his predictions based on the latest data that always shows his previous predictions to be wrong. Not sure why people put faith in these types of guys...... I'll still with VGchartz and other sites as better sources of predictions.