By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Zezlar said:
In my opinion it has always been and most likely will always will be JRPG > WRPG. I just don't like how WRPGs play.

Good for you and your opinion mate, wouldn't do for us all to like the same things I guess.

Around the Network
Citan said:

Still I haven`t said that me have a bad story. I said that Xenosaga is way beyon.

First, PLEASE don't use 'me' as an abbrevation for Mass Effect. It makes taking what you say seriously very difficult. At least capitalize the letters.

Second, if Xenosaga is the best you can come up with to defend the JRPG's story, at least pit it against the best story-driven WRPG; Planescape Torment.

And on topic, while I thought The World Ends With You for the DS was pretty much awesome, especially in combat, it's probably the only JRPG that I have seen lately that really tries to do something new and cool with this pretty stale genre. The problem with JRPG's is that they almost always contain the same stereotypes, characters, enemies, settings and premises.

JRPG's also contain very little roleplaying, as previously mentioned. You are spoonfed a story and are not allowed to participate in it at all. Playing is like watching a movie that pauses so you can fight some battles. While there is no good way of actually playing a story yet, at least the western roleplaying games lets you choose your characters alignment and make some rudimentary choices. It creates the illusion of participation. Coupled with good storytelling, like in Mass Effect, this makes for a powerful experience.

I'll take Final Fantasy any time I really feel like doing some leveling and want to become ridiculously powerful. But since I'm gamerdrifting and always craving new experiences this doesn't satisfy me in the  same way it did 10 years ago.

This is invisible text!

slowmo said:
Citan said:
slowmo said:
I finally realise what Citan believes now, he thinks a good story must be a derivavtive of other stories and include references to other works.....

Honestly Citan you're not helping yourself here, a good story should be able to stand on its own two feet. A game is designed to be played by the masses (or it usually is for business reasons), when you look upon a story in this regard it should be accessible to most individuals without them having a requirement of the supposed deep psycological undertones.

A game like Braid had practically no story yet is more thought provoking than any JRPG or WRPG imo, this is why the basic premise of a story having to be complex or deep to be considered great is stupid. You're playing games, not some lecture on the human condition, sure its easy to put talking points in your game for cheap headlines but that doesn't guarantee a great result.

Mass Effects story is very good because despite the non linear play of the game and the multiple outcomes for the story it actually feels almost seemless. At one point in the game you have the choice to commit genocide on a species, if thats not a thought provoking topic enough for you then I don;t know what is. Genocide is considered one of the most hideous crimes to most humans yet this game actually seriously challenges you to consider the option, might I add in my experience I seriously considered the ramifications at the time.

I maybe should have posted more politely in this regard earlier but I do not take accusations of being not "well read" as being particularly complimentary Citan. Can you not see how your attitude came across as condescending hence my earlier response?

Finally, I honestly meant what I said earlier regarding the JRPG genre becoming stale, if change doesn't happen it will die completely and this is not something I want to happen. JRPG's are becoming a niche market not because gamers don't want the genre, it's becomes the games are becoming predicatable to the majority of gamers.

I just learned that me have an intertekstual refernce to shakespear, so there goes one of your arguments.

A story can`t stand on it`s own. A story alwyas use something from a different story. Always.

Still I haven`t said that me have a bad story. I said that Xenosaga is way beyon.

Let`s agree that thought provoking is good for the story, shall we?

Thats about the only thing I'll probably agree with you on when it comes to RPG's .

I didn't mention Shakespeare by the way so don't attribute that to me please.  Also it's not wise to claim one story is better than another if you haven't played it.  If you had played Mass Effect then you would have known about the thought provoking aspects of it.  You can check my posts but I'm pretty sure I never claimed ME had a better story than Xenosaga and I'd certainly never claim it was way beyhond if I hadn't thoroughly played and understood both games stories.

Finally a story can stand on it's own and thats the biggest problem with your argument, fiction doesn't need to be derivative.

So it`s no intertekstual reference to shakespear in mass effect?

But I can claim that the story in Xenosaga is complex in a perfect way, can`t I?

StanGable said:
Citan said:
slowmo said:
I finally realise what Citan believes now, he thinks a good story must be a derivavtive of other stories and include references to other works.....

Honestly Citan you're not helping yourself here, a good story should be able to stand on its own two feet. A game is designed to be played by the masses (or it usually is for business reasons), when you look upon a story in this regard it should be accessible to most individuals without them having a requirement of the supposed deep psycological undertones.

A game like Braid had practically no story yet is more thought provoking than any JRPG or WRPG imo, this is why the basic premise of a story having to be complex or deep to be considered great is stupid. You're playing games, not some lecture on the human condition, sure its easy to put talking points in your game for cheap headlines but that doesn't guarantee a great result.

Mass Effects story is very good because despite the non linear play of the game and the multiple outcomes for the story it actually feels almost seemless. At one point in the game you have the choice to commit genocide on a species, if thats not a thought provoking topic enough for you then I don;t know what is. Genocide is considered one of the most hideous crimes to most humans yet this game actually seriously challenges you to consider the option, might I add in my experience I seriously considered the ramifications at the time.

I maybe should have posted more politely in this regard earlier but I do not take accusations of being not "well read" as being particularly complimentary Citan. Can you not see how your attitude came across as condescending hence my earlier response?

Finally, I honestly meant what I said earlier regarding the JRPG genre becoming stale, if change doesn't happen it will die completely and this is not something I want to happen. JRPG's are becoming a niche market not because gamers don't want the genre, it's becomes the games are becoming predicatable to the majority of gamers.

I just learned that me have an intertekstual refernce to shakespear, so there goes one of your arguments.

A story can`t stand on it`s own. A story alwyas use something from a different story. Always.

Let`s agree that thought provoking is good for the story, shall we?

Actually Citan, slowmo is a 100% correct. I don't know if ME has any references to Shakespeare, I was using that as an example.

Huh? A story needs to stand on its own? How`s that possible? Can you tell me a story not based on anything?

By the way, did you read my last response to you explaining why the references in Xenosaga makes the story good?

So you lied to me? I really had hopes for mass effect fora short while there!

Found the last reply :)

No, you're not understanding. You point out at novels and claim that they in fact make Xenosaga better. What you're failing to do is explain how those novels are being used and why are they so important to the characters and the overall enjoyment of the storyline.

Basically I can say that Mass Effect derived from all the novels written by Shakespeare, one of the most well known and respected novelist of all times. In fact, I will go as far as to say that the main character in Mass Effect is based on Macbeth and by default I now can claim Mass Effect is better.

Also, whether or not Xenosaga's storyline was inspired by these works it still failed to lure the critics into immersing themselves with the plot. When you can get sucked into a story like that then you have a winning theme. Guess what? Xenosaga failed at it. Most critics thought the story was good but confusing, never being outsanding or memorable. Even you claim that the reviewers don't understand the story. Then we can conclude the developers failed at transitioning what they wanted to narrate to the player.

Oh, sorry. I didn`t understand, so I`ll try to explain in my not so very good english.

As a well read person seeing all these references makes the game really exotic if I may use that word.

Example:

The aliens called Gnosis means spirtual knowledge used in the religion Gnostitism.

They`re transparent bodies referes to the spiritual, something out of reach.

In the Bibel Lots wife becaomes salt when she`s turns around to see Sodoma beeing destroyed.

In the game Gnosis is built by salt.

The conforntation with these mosnsters in the game is about humans will to confront the forbidden.

But for the simple eye, they are just plain aliens we want to kill.

If this doesn`t make a game more interesting, I don`t know what will. But there are so many intertekstual references,

your eyes would bleed if I were to write them all down, and it would take one week.

This game is better if you`re well read. And beeing well read is not a bad thing, is it? No, it`s good.

Therefor it makes the game/story better.

Me have one intertekstual reference to shakespear. GREAT. But could the creators make more references to make the game more

interesting and not make a mess out of it? Probably not, because western culture stops it.

I totally agree that the critics weren`t lured. It failed as a game to the masses, but a perfect game for those interested in culture, society, philosophy, interpretions, religion, action, drama, love, hate, friendship, science fiction and so on.

Tetsuya Takahashi made this game because it was his dream to create a complex story, and he succeded , but it ain`t a game for everyone. Just the few well read people, which are very good to be.

I love the Xenosaga games. Part 2 was the worst only because of the battle system but it was still awesome. Waiting for Xenogears to be released on PS1 so I can play that too!

Around the Network
Zezlar said:
I love the Xenosaga games. Part 2 was the worst only because of the battle system but it was still awesome. Waiting for Xenogears to be released on PS1 so I can play that too!

Hell yeah, and it was incredible hard too. I thought first fight inside Momo would be easy. I died on one of the first battles in the game....

PSN you mean?

Xenogears might even be better. I can`t really make up my mind.

It's not just about how many references there are.. it's how the games use them. Mass Effect won awards for its story telling..... and from what i've read of reviews of Xenosaga... they tell it badly and seem to want to make the story seem deeper than it is...

im_sneaky said:
It's not just about how many references there are.. it's how the games use them. Mass Effect won awards for its story telling..... and from what i've read of reviews of Xenosaga... they tell it badly and seem to want to make the story seem deeper than it is...

Hmmm. Gta iv got 10/10 on extremely many gaming-sites. Did it deserve it?

Show me the review that says Xenosaga`s story-telling is bad. Just show me.

I`ve tried to describe some ways Xenosaga uses the references in the game in a positive way, but it seems to have been ignored. Espesially by a certain person with Devil-Jin as avatar claiming mass effect have better story without beeing able to prove it. I have proved why xenosaga have a good story.

Xenosaga had a very complex storyline. It was very good, but it could be a turn off for some people.

Zezlar said:
Xenosaga had a very complex storyline. It was very good, but it could be a turn off for some people.

Yes, it`s true, but it`s interesting to find out why so many poeple turn off to a very good story.