By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How Halo killed the 360

lol, this article is friggin ridiculous.

Around the Network

I suppose next it will be how SSBB killed the wii. Or MGS4 killed the PS3. what a laughable article! Oh the trollin continues

The article is nonsense, but it's true that Halo tends to be the end-all franchise on the console with no other game being anywhere near as memorable or loved.

Halo is a nigh-impossible act to follow.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

ALKO said:
d21lewis said:
While giving gamers several good games is never a bad idea, part of me does think that by the end of this year, ALL of the major consoles will have shot their load. Look back at every other console. Did Super NES games really evolve far beyond Super Mario World? Did later N64 games really blow Super Mario 64 and Wave Race out of the water? Did XBOX games go light years beyond Halo?

Generation after generation, new consoles put their best software out in the very beginning. This is it. This is what the new gen consoles are gonna be remembered for: Gears of War, Zelda, & Resistance. From this point until the end of this console cycle, it's gonna be evoloution, and not revoloution.

........and if you're reading ladies, d21 uses all his best tricks early on too. Awwwww yeaaaah! Giggidy giggidy.

yes, the yoshi's island and star fox ,chrono trigger, bahamut lagoon for example.

yes, fzerox and sin and punishment ,banjo and kazooie,perferctdark for example.

I didn't play xbox... 

Evoloution. Not revoloution. Games for the Wii, 360, and PS3 are going to be more and more impressive, otherwise what's the point? There is no way an 8-bit game will pass for 16-bit. No way a PS1 game will pass for PS2. The rules are defined very early on. From that point on, the developers simply hone their craft. Donkey Kong 64 looks better than Mario 64. It didn't blow away anyone's belief of what was possible on the system. Games near the end of this generation are gonna be better than what we have now. They're also gonna be comparable to what we have now.

Plain and simple... I'm sure it's said somewhere in this long thread so apologies if I'm restating, but if Halo 3 "killed" the 360, then Lair "killed" the PS3.

This article is absolute rubbish.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
ALKO said:
d21lewis said:
While giving gamers several good games is never a bad idea, part of me does think that by the end of this year, ALL of the major consoles will have shot their load. Look back at every other console. Did Super NES games really evolve far beyond Super Mario World? Did later N64 games really blow Super Mario 64 and Wave Race out of the water? Did XBOX games go light years beyond Halo?

Generation after generation, new consoles put their best software out in the very beginning. This is it. This is what the new gen consoles are gonna be remembered for: Gears of War, Zelda, & Resistance. From this point until the end of this console cycle, it's gonna be evoloution, and not revoloution.

........and if you're reading ladies, d21 uses all his best tricks early on too. Awwwww yeaaaah! Giggidy giggidy.

yes, the yoshi's island and star fox ,chrono trigger, bahamut lagoon for example.

yes, fzerox and sin and punishment ,banjo and kazooie,perferctdark for example.

I didn't play xbox...

Evoloution. Not revoloution. Games for the Wii, 360, and PS3 are going to be more and more impressive, otherwise what's the point? There is no way an 8-bit game will pass for 16-bit. No way a PS1 game will pass for PS2. The rules are defined very early on. From that point on, the developers simply hone their craft. Donkey Kong 64 looks better than Mario 64. It didn't blow away anyone's belief of what was possible on the system. Games near the end of this generation are gonna be better than what we have now. They're also gonna be comparable to what we have now.

calling chrono trigger evolution is offensive...

go finish the game 20 times for penitence...!!!

starfox wasn't a revolution in console games???

nor games like 007 or perferct dark???

have you ever played these games???

i bet you didn't...

I'm up with consoles from nes era...(also before considering  my cousins atari ...)

and for sure these games were revolution when they come out...

I actually own or owned all of these games. I was kinda hoping you guys wouldn't mention Star Fox. It kinda disproves my whole arguement, huh? As for Chrono (probably my favorite game ever), and Goldeneye, the foundation for those games were laid out in advance. Chrono by Final Fantasy II & III, and Goldeneye was being shown since the N64 launch. Actually, Chrono may not be evoloution, so much as divine intervention.

wow... i'm glad someone had the balls to try and take on the halo 3 hype train...

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man

d21lewis said:
I actually own or owned all of these games. I was kinda hoping you guys wouldn't mention Star Fox. It kinda disproves my whole arguement, huh? As for Chrono (probably my favorite game ever), and Goldeneye, the foundation for those games were laid out in advance. Chrono by Final Fantasy II & III, and Goldeneye was being shown since the N64 launch. Actually, Chrono may not be evoloution, so much as divine intervention.

Well, yeah CT built on FF, but it was also very much a revolution.  Unfortunately, it was a revolution that never picked up steam.  The combination special moves (techniques that used the special abilities of 2 or even all 3 characters) totally changed the way the player had to prioritize team-building and combat.  And the multiple endings thing was practically unheard of at the time AND Chrono Trigger pulled it off sublimely.  And yet the combat system was never picked up by other games to my knowledge.  What a waste!

Goldeneye may have been in the works for a while, but that doesn't change the fact that it totally revolutionized console FPSes and took them from niche game to the front lines.  Perfect Dark was mostly evolutionary but what an evolution!  

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Ishy said:
wow... i'm glad someone had the balls to try and take on the halo 3 hype train...

But don't you wish they'd done it in a way that made at least a little sense?

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.