By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 1:1 movement with the Wii

I'm really disappointed on how the motion sensing on Wii is used. Take the new Tiger as an example. The movement recognition isn't done in real time, instead you have to do the whole motion before the character on screen does an pre-modeled animation, or at least that's the picture I get from the IGN review. That's like a fancy button with a delay, not good. In Wii Sports, the movement is real time, isn't it? But is it hard to do real time response with complicated characters or what is the reason for this suckiness? The lag is very bad if it's also present in fast-paced action games. In many games the motion sensing seems to be a value itself, not a tool for actually improving the gameplay, which is something I don't like either. This is against the basic principle of Wii when it makes the playing difficult. I don't have a Wii and I'm interested in knowing which games have 1:1 motion response and which don't. The aiming in FPSs is a clear case, so you don't have to mention them. I'd also like to hear whether you think these things are important.

Around the Network

It all comes down to how the developer wants to do things. Assuming it's true Tiger Woods requires the player to complete the swing before the on-screen character actually takes the shot, it's likely because it's taking the follow-through into consideration when calculating the shot. Wii Sports golf is effectively 1:1 real-time, but it's also a simpler game. ...also Tiger Woods has their weird mechanic where you control the spin after the shot (by rotating the wiimote or something like that), so it's possible the shot is delayed to allow time for that.

...in general, 1:1 is possible where the position of the controller in space is known, because the wiimote only picks up relative movement (e.g. if it doesn't know he starting position it can't possibly represent it 1:1). E.g. Wii Sports baseball is and can be 1:1 because it knows you start every baseball swing with the Wiimote in the same position/orientation, and so can calculate the movement from that point. The same is generally true with golf. OTOH tennis with Wii will never be 1:1 because the system has no idea in what position you're starting each swing from (unless you made a point of mirroring the character on screen, which would be a game in itself! )

stewacide said: ...in general, 1:1 is possible where the position of the controller in space is known, because the wiimote only picks up relative movement (e.g. if it doesn't know he starting position it can't possibly represent it 1:1).
I've always thought that the Wii can handle absolute position too, because isn't that what the FPSs are based on?

The swing is realtime 1:1 Here's a good video of a developer showing off the controls, it's big 143 mb http://download.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_tigerwoods07_wii_walkthrough_gp_gt_h264.mov

Around the Network

Yulegoat said: stewacide said: ...in general, 1:1 is possible where the position of the controller in space is known, because the wiimote only picks up relative movement (e.g. if it doesn't know he starting position it can't possibly represent it 1:1). I've always thought that the Wii can handle absolute position too, because isn't that what the FPSs are based on?
you are mixing up two things now. for fps, the pointer is used like a lightgun. the pointer of course gives you an absolute position. for that you need the sensor bar that you have to put in front of your tv. but whole wii sports did not use the pointer, but the other technology that is inside the wiimote. i don't know how it is called in english, but it is about sensors that are calculating the angles in which you are holding your wiimote. the sensor bar is not used for that.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

This is what the Wii can pick up: - Tilt of the wiimote and nunchuck (i.e. it knows which was is 'down' because it senses the pull of gravity as constant acceleration) - Acceleration of the wiimote and nunchuck in all directions. - The distance between the wiimote and the sensor bar if the wiimote pointer is in use (it determines this because the distance between the ends of the sensor bar is known) - And of course it uses the sensor bar (which is viewed as two points of light by the camera in the wiimote) to determine what the wiimote is pointed at... ...so if you want to know if 1:1 control is possible in any scenario, just think-through what input is available and you'll have your answer. To give an example, a 1:1 sword game, which of course everyone is waiting for, would only seem to work in one of two ways: if you always held the 'sword' i.e. wiimote in the same known orientation (so, say, two-hands out in front), or if you 'slashed' across the screen so the sensor bar position could be picked up. I suspect Wii 2 will implement more 1:1 movement by adding a camera to the sensor bar looking back at the wiimote and nunchuck, so Nintendo has that up their sleve.

Yulegoat said: I'm really disappointed on how the motion sensing on Wii is used. Take the new Tiger as an example. The movement recognition isn't done in real time, instead you have to do the whole motion before the character on screen does an pre-modeled animation, or at least that's the picture I get from the IGN review. That's like a fancy button with a delay, not good. In Wii Sports, the movement is real time, isn't it? But is it hard to do real time response with complicated characters or what is the reason for this suckiness? The lag is very bad if it's also present in fast-paced action games. In many games the motion sensing seems to be a value itself, not a tool for actually improving the gameplay, which is something I don't like either. This is against the basic principle of Wii when it makes the playing difficult. I don't have a Wii and I'm interested in knowing which games have 1:1 motion response and which don't. The aiming in FPSs is a clear case, so you don't have to mention them. I'd also like to hear whether you think these things are important.
There is your first mistake ... Matt from IGN has hated Nintendo for a very long time ...

HappySqurriel said:There is your first mistake ... Matt from IGN has hated Nintendo for a very long time ...
You've got to be joking right? Matt is a huge fanboy of Nintendo. I think the game still looks good and I will rent it first to see if it is my cup of tea. Matt did say that it was an overall good game if you like golf simulations. He said that if you like wii golf but have wanted a much deeper game then you will like Tiger 07.

Super Swing still seems the Wii golf-game to own to me. Much nicer to look at than bland bland Tiger Woods. Video review of Super Swing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz9_TaLBKkY By all accounts a very deep and humorous game: it's been a sensation on the PC in Korea for some time, so it's very refined, and the controls by all accounts were nailed. Only problem I've heard of are some framerate dips.