By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FORZA 3 is the new graphics king

Higher resolution - check
16 cars - check
60 FPS cockpit view - check

Technically GT5P is all over F3 and it's a year old.

selnor says every racing game out there looks better than GT5P.

PGR4, GRID, SHIFT, and F3. Did you also argue with F2?

Around the Network
Staude said:
selnor said:
Staude said:
coolbeans said:
Staude said:
coolbeans said:
leo-j said:
Well once forza 3 surpasses GT5 prologue's car models then we can talk.

Ummm...they already do and have since they showed of gameplay at E3.  Where have you been ?  Plus polygon count is 5 times of what GT5:P had so, I'm guessing you just didn't read the article he posted or something else.

Check out this car man. It looks 3 times as good as forza cars cause it has 3 times as many polygons !

Now.. It's fairly obvious that it doesn't. So what does all this mean ?

A box is still a box regardless of the amount of polygons you waste on it.

And the above contains 2.880.000 polygons.

Well.....I'd like to see some form of proof or a way I can download some sort of "polygon counter", if you will, as to see whether your just spouting nonsense or not, are you sure that doesn't reference to 2.88 polygons too?  

I already deleted it. I can make a new one though... hold on.

Okay same.. except this car can fly.. As you can see the wheels are spun differently.

This one is only 2 million polygons though. It seems that I miscalculated before since i used the same amount of objects and the same amount of verticles.

Regardless. Using the logic this cars is twice as detailed as a forza 3 one :p

You come across as though you know. But you dont. Now put that car with full texture maps and an environment to match Forza 3 and see if it runs with 8 cars at more than 10 frames per sec. Bet you it doesn't. You have to take into context everything else the engine is doing and what hardware limitations a console has.

You come across as though you're ignoring my point. Which you are. I don't care how well it runs. It makes my laptop lag just from me moving around in max.

All i'm saying is that more polygons doesn't mean more detail. Optimisation of your polygons does.

Next time i suggest you actually read what I write as you seem to like responding to me unrelated of my actual post.

Of course it's all the artist to be honest. How good they are at making use of the polygons. Polys are a foundation, but like Ive pointed out a trillion times already. The cars flip over so they have rendered underneath with a ton of polys and the interiors to a minute degree. Thats where alot of the polys would have gone. So much so you can take a screenshot of a close up on the rear seatbelts of a civic if you wanted. GT5P had no need to model the underneath of the car, and I cannot find a screenshot from the public thats of GT5P inside of the car like the forza 3 ones.

So now F3 cars don't look better on the exterior and you argue that F3 has better interior?

What's next? F3 has better looking suspension?

I have yet to see a pic of F3 car which looks better than GT5:Prologue's cars

As leo-j said, when we see that......we'll talk

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

coolbeans said:
Staude said:
selnor said:
Staude said:
coolbeans said:
Staude said:
coolbeans said:
leo-j said:
Well once forza 3 surpasses GT5 prologue's car models then we can talk.

Ummm...they already do and have since they showed of gameplay at E3.  Where have you been ?  Plus polygon count is 5 times of what GT5:P had so, I'm guessing you just didn't read the article he posted or something else.

Check out this car man. It looks 3 times as good as forza cars cause it has 3 times as many polygons !

Now.. It's fairly obvious that it doesn't. So what does all this mean ?

A box is still a box regardless of the amount of polygons you waste on it.

And the above contains 2.880.000 polygons.

Well.....I'd like to see some form of proof or a way I can download some sort of "polygon counter", if you will, as to see whether your just spouting nonsense or not, are you sure that doesn't reference to 2.88 polygons too?  

I already deleted it. I can make a new one though... hold on.

Okay same.. except this car can fly.. As you can see the wheels are spun differently.

This one is only 2 million polygons though. It seems that I miscalculated before since i used the same amount of objects and the same amount of verticles.

Regardless. Using the logic this cars is twice as detailed as a forza 3 one :p

You come across as though you know. But you dont. Now put that car with full texture maps and an environment to match Forza 3 and see if it runs with 8 cars at more than 10 frames per sec. Bet you it doesn't. You have to take into context everything else the engine is doing and what hardware limitations a console has.

You come across as though you're ignoring my point. Which you are. I don't care how well it runs. It makes my laptop lag just from me moving around in max.

All i'm saying is that more polygons doesn't mean more detail. Optimisation of your polygons does.

Next time i suggest you actually read what I write as you seem to like responding to me unrelated of my actual post.

Well...okay if that'd be the case, could that mean the more polygons on each car give it a better level or chance of optimizing?

The more polygons / verticles you have.. The more you are technically able to do. However, it's all down to optimisation.

In this generation of consoles it's not very important. But if we go back a few years, to have a pc game run smoothly it needed to have vehicles of less than 1000 polygons. What this meant was that they needed to have the best use of every single verticle on the vehicle..

You can make a box like me that has 480.000polygons. However, it's still a box and a waste of polygons. What you have to insure is that every single polygon is well spent.

It's all about optimisation.

@selnor

Indeed it is all up to the skills of the artists. With forza 2 vehicles they don't look like they have used the polygons to the best of their posibilities, however we can't say if they have with this. It just seems like a rediculous amount.. unnessesary.

And yep a lot of polygons would go to making that.. but 1million still sounds over the top.

@davygee

"you could effectively create the object you have and render it with 1m polygons...and yes it wouldn't look any better."

Exacly. Again it's the usage of each polygon that matters and not the overall amount.

Check out my game about moles ^

Around the Network
kanariya said:
So now F3 cars don't look better on the exterior and you argue that F3 has better interior?

Where did I say that F3 cars exterior are not better. Loads of pics have been posted that easily beats GT5P. Only VGChartz PS3 fanboys still disagree.

selnor said:
kanariya said:

Where did I say that F3 cars exterior are not better. Loads of pics have been posted that easily beats GT5P. Only VGChartz PS3 fanboys still disagree.

I don't want to post the pics all over again to show you F3 cars only look on par with GT5P and it runs at a lower resolution with half of the cars on track. and what? 30fps cockpit view?

Not sure if your opinion really matters when you claimed PGR4 and GRID look better than GT5P.

selnor said:
kanariya said:

''easily'' ?

Are you kidding me, there's barely any difference between the two games.

edited. wrong thread.

kanariya said:
selnor said:
kanariya said:

I don't want to post the pics all over again to show you F3 cars only look on par with GT5P and it runs at a lower resolution with half of the cars on track. and what? 30fps cockpit view?

Oh my god. Lets stop it now. The scenery for a start in F3 is quite alot better. Also the dynamic lighting system is better. The models of cars ok easily was an exagertion, but there is better reflections and cars look heavier as a result of better models in F3.

And it's confirmed from Turn 10 that in the May build on show the cockpit frame rate was running less than 60 fps, but will be 60 fps on release. Cockpit was late to be added to F3. They listened to the fans though which is great.