By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FORZA 3 is the new graphics king

ironman said:

I fail to see how the driver not shifting is as noticeable as blurry mirrors. 

Perhaps you should stick to arcade racers.

Around the Network
AE86 said:
ironman said:

I fail to see how the driver not shifting is as noticeable as blurry mirrors. 

Perhaps you should stick to arcade racers.

Perhaps not. I'm just not that nitpicky.

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

Polyphony Digital was actually quite clever about the way they implemented the shifting animation, the driver will reach down for the shifter and keep his hand there when the game anticipates a shift, i.e. under heavy braking, when redlining, etc.

Pretty neat idea when you consider in most games the game waits until you shift to do the animation and it looks stupid because the shift animation is taking place after the actual shift has occurred.

AE86 said:
Polyphony Digital was actually quite clever about the way they implemented the shifting animation, the driver will reach down for the shifter and keep his hand there when the game anticipates a shift, i.e. under heavy braking, when redlining, etc.

Pretty neat idea when you consider in most games that the game waits until you shift to do the animation and it looks stupid because the shift animation is taking place after the actual shift has occurred.

Or if they don't shift at all. Seriously though, this is such a trivial matter it is hardly worth bringing up.

Past Avatar picture!!!

I was just playing GT5P and I didn't notice a blurry side mirror.

The shifting animation is really good to have, but it doesn't kill if it's not there.

Around the Network
kanariya said:
I was just playing GT5P and I didn't notice a blurry side mirror.

The shifting animation is really good to have, but it doesn't kill if it's not there.

That was from when GT5:P was first shown, it was fixed by the time the game came out.

AE86 said:
selnor said:
Oniichan said:
selnor said:

Thats actually really good attention to detail. They were probably playing with Automatic gears. Which means it would not be realistic for the driver to reach down and change gear.

Something GT5P is not accurate on. In GT5P when you have automatic gears, the driver still reaches down and changes gear!?

ah so its confirmed that the hand actually does move off the wheel to change gears when your using manual gearing instead of auto? or is that just an assumption your making?

Cause thats a pretty big thing if they are going for realism when your using inside car view.

I'm sure they will have it implemented. They are a pure sim dev after all. They have made their physics engine right up ther to compete with PC sims according to Inside sim racing.tv.

But it makes pure sense if it's auto that it isnt there. Something that always bothered me playing GT5P.

You can't be serious.

Automatic in racing games means either one of 2 things;

1. The car is actually changed to an automatic transmission in which case there is no need to reach down to shift, unless of course the transmission is tiptronic, this is usually used in low-quality arcade style racing games as it is unrealistic because most high performance cars don't have the option of being built with automatic transmissions.

OR as is the case with most realistic racing games/sims including GT5:P;

2. Every car in the game is equipped with a manual transmission (or tiptronic if the car was never built with a manual i.e McLaren SLR), turning the option to automatic makes the game do the shifting for you, but the car itself is still manual, its very easy to tell as you can clearly hear that even in automatic mode the cars are still shifting manually. They usually do this because the manual transmissions not only sounds the best but is also the better performing transmission. Most of the cars in GT5:P never had the option of being built with automatic transmissions, so this was the most realistic option. It would be stupid and highly unrealistic to put an automatic transmission in a car that was never built with one.

With all your claimed "extensive" knowledge of racing games I thought you would know this.  Besides, who the hell plays on automatic anyways?

Well then it's not strictly correct on the whole simulation thing. Becasue if the car is manual only, it should not have the option to select Automatic. It's very simple, for immersion reasons. If you don't physically change gear on the controller it shouldn't portray any physical movement on the animation. Because that takes the immersion away.

It's the same as the people who play with a steering wheel and use the cockpit mode. Having 2 steering wheels in front of you takes the immersion away. They should use the hood mode for more realism and immersion.

IT's all about player input, not the selective car your driving.

selnor said:

Well then it's not strictly correct on the whole simulation thing. Becasue if the car is manual only, it should not have the option to select Automatic. It's very simple, for immersion reasons. If you don't physically change gear on the controller it shouldn't portray any physical movement on the animation. Because that takes the immersion away.

It's the same as the people who play with a steering wheel and use the cockpit mode. Having 2 steering wheels in front of you takes the immersion away. They should use the hood mode for more realism and immersion.

IT's all about player input, not the selective car your driving.

That is completely ridiculous. Why not remove optional traction control from all cars that don't have it? Why not remove the suggested racing lines on the on the road? Those don't exist in real life. Hell, why don't we push it even further and remove camber adjustment for cars that weren't built with camber kits?

Why would you alienate millions of players and remove a feature that has been in almost every racing game ever? This is still a business, and these are still video games, not reality simulators from the year 2045. I think you're just embarassed that you didn't know about this already.

It's going to be funny when Forza ends up using the same system as GT5:P, I'll be sure to quote this insane post.

I fully support Forza 3 and feel it will beat the competition hands down but.... it NEEDS proper animation for shifting, it's one of those things that should be standard in any racing game,

I think the final release will have all this, just like the 60FPS cockpit view, it's still four months from release so have time do make these improvements, remember that the cockpit view was the last thing turn 10 added so makes sense not everything is finished yet.

Meh, I don't think that shifting animation is all that important. it's such a small thing to be complaining about.

Past Avatar picture!!!