By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The rumors were true: Nintendo games can now play themselves!

Pineapple said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
@noname, what you're describing is called a microwave, and it did not kill hardcore cooking.

But that's not at all what he's saying! Or well, what I think he's saying that is.

There are people who only eat microwave food, aren't there? I've seen a fair bit of programs/read a few articles that have this as a major problem. The majority of these people should know that eating microwave food isn't as good for you, but they simply don't know how to make anything else. At an earlier point, they had the choice between cooking "real" food and microwave food. They chose microwave food.

I'd say this fits right in with his analogy.

Edit:

Another thing, Noname never (at least as far as I know) said anything about killing the hardcore market. He said this would stop "casual" gamers from becomming "bridge" gamers. What this does is, rather than expand the market, actually preventing people from becomming more serious gamers.

I started out as a microwave only chef.  Then some bridge meals moved me over to hardcore cooking.

If somebody doesn't want to make the jump from casual cooking/gaming to hardcore cooking/gaming, who cares?  Honestly, who cares about a single casual not making the jump that some internet jerks expect them to make?  More gamers means more games.  It's good for everybody.

Around the Network
Pineapple said:
@noname, what you're describing is called a microwave, and it did not kill hardcore cooking.

But that's not at all what he's saying! Or well, what I think he's saying that is.

There are people who only eat microwave food, aren't there? I've seen a fair bit of programs/read a few articles that have this as a major problem. The majority of these people should know that eating microwave food isn't as good for you, but they simply don't know how to make anything else. At an earlier point, they had the choice between cooking "real" food and microwave food. They chose microwave food.

Edit:

Another thing, Noname never (at least as far as I know) said anything about killing the hardcore market. He said this would stop "casual" gamers from becomming "bridge" gamers. What this does is, rather than expand the market, actually preventing people from becomming more serious gamers.

I started out as a microwave only chef.  Then some bridge meals moved me over to hardcore cooking.

If somebody doesn't want to make the jump from casual cooking/gaming to hardcore cooking/gaming, who cares?  Honestly, who cares about a single casual not making the jump that some internet jerks expect them to make?  More gamers means more games.  It's good for everybody.

Here comes the problem by using the terms I do. I'm not sure what else would be a fitting term to get people to understand what I mean... gah.

As for a reply: I'm pretty damn sure Nintendo cares. NSMBWii is a game that can turn people who bought Wii for Wii Sports + Fit only into someone who also purchases the odd Mario game. I'm sure the latter category is far, far more likely to buy a Wii 2 than the former. In addition, they'll end up buying more games on their Wii.

umm this thread still going? If u dont like it dont buy it....:D

Kewl.  Maybe I won't buy games in the future, but watch demo play on Youtube.  :)

Pineapple said:
Pineapple said:

Edit:

Here comes the problem by using the terms I do. I'm not sure what else would be a fitting term to get people to understand what I mean... gah.

As for a reply: I'm pretty damn sure Nintendo cares. NSMBWii is a game that can turn people who bought Wii for Wii Sports + Fit only into someone who also purchases the odd Mario game. I'm sure the latter category is far, far more likely to buy a Wii 2 than the former. In addition, they'll end up buying more games on their Wii.

Well yeah.  Of course Nintendo cares.  It's a good business decision.  But what I meant was, why should anybody be bothered by this idea?  It's optional.

All this does is save you the couple minutes it would take to move your cheating ass from the couch to the computer to look at GameFAQs and YouTube.  Cheats, walkthroughs, demo videos, and speedruns are already available and free.  This will be convenient for people who already cheat, will have absolutely no effect on people who don't cheat, and will teach casuals how to cheat.  Who cares?  More gamers means more games.  I love games.  So this is good.

Around the Network

peanut1972:
"Kewl. Maybe I won't buy games in the future, but watch demo play on Youtube. :)"

lol either that or buy the game and dont use the Feat...easy or what?

Pineapple said:
Pineapple said:

Edit:

Well yeah.  Of course Nintendo cares.  It's a good business decision.  But what I meant was, why should anybody be bothered by this idea?  It's optional.

All this does is save you the couple minutes it would take to move your cheating ass from the couch to the computer to look at GameFAQs and YouTube.  Cheats, walkthroughs, demo videos, and speedruns are already available and free.  This will be convenient for people who already cheat, will have absolutely no effect on people who don't cheat, and will teach casuals how to cheat.  Who cares?  More gamers means more games.  I love games.  So this is good.

We pretty much agreed all the time, so I'm not exactly sure how we managed to mess this into an argument :/ Sorry!

Nick said:
Old Rock said:
I have a question though...did the information given to us said that we could "skip" the level or we could see how the level should be tackled and then trying it out? (it's very confusing >.<)

If the latter is what Nintendo is planning to do then except for puzzle based events, the player could still fail the level. The level will be easier but it still depends on the player's skill on how easy the level will eventually be. For me, knowing how to clear World 8 Fortress Level in SMW doesn't make things much easier but it gives me an insight of what will come next. It may decrease the surprise factor but it was still difficult. Maybe that's what their trying to do?

I don't see them using the former but if it is the case then the fun-factor will surely decrease.

You could "skip" the levels in SMW... did the fun-factor decrease for you in that game also?

What I'm assuming in that line was that you could choose to completely skip during the level and be able to do that in the next level (which should is impossible with little/no penalties/conditions/items).

It's my fault for not saying this in the first place anyway...

I am a Breakout Bat.
I am an abstract sort of creature, who dislikes any sort of restraint. If you try to pigeonhole me, I'll break the box, and come back for more. I don't have any particular ambitions, I just drift, but I am adept at keeping life going along.

What Video Game Character Are You?

Proud Member of the Mega Mario Movement Yummy Yoshi Yankees

the future of gaming, thanks nintendo

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

Pineapple said:

Edit:

Pineapple's done a great job of summarizing my viewpoint, but I'll add a few more details to flesh it out. I don't much care about people becoming "hardcore" or staying "casual" gamers (honestly, I don't believe such a divide even exists, but that's a whole 'nother issue); all I want is for more people to become gamers, period. As I wrote in this post, I fear that this new feature will have a retarding effect on that transformation.

I actually really like this feature for most people who are already into gaming, but I fear that newcomers who are only considering becoming gamers will use this feature to skip more and more "hard parts." To an extent that's fine too (I'm not the type who's insisting that "I suffered through Battletoads, and ur not l33t until you do t00!" or anything), but by skipping challenges newcomers won't be able to build up the skills necessary to progress later in the game, so they'll end up using the feature more and more as the game wears on, until eventually they're watching the computer play more than they're actually playing themselves. And I'm highly skeptical that anyone will think of that as fun: some folks like to watch friends play games, but that's a far cry from watching a game play itself. So if you're a new gamer, and the games you're playing aren't fun...why would you keep playing?

You're microwave food analogy is imperfect, but I'm willing to go with it for a bit to illustrate what I'm getting at. Imagine you have a friend who's never eaten Mexican food. Ultimately, you'd like for that person to start eating all the goodies like chile rellenos and enchiladas, but instead of starting with an intro dish like a taco or empanada, you start them off with one of those microwave chimichangas that you get for 99 cents at 7-11 (in the unlikely event that you like those things, pick a nasty microwave dish instead). Not surprisingly, that person doesn't like the chimichanga, and is now soured on "Mexican food." Because you started off with the wrong approach, you've seriously damaged your long-term goal.

I know it's not a perfect analogy by any stretch, but I do fear that in the long term this feature will have a detrimental impact on new gamers. To summarize: it's great for people already into gaming like ourselves, but because it presents a very tempting way to not learn the rules and skills of a game, this feature will lead to newcomers watching more than playing the game, which is why I feel it's not a good thing. What alarms me is that no one's yet done anything to persuade me that my fears are full of it.