By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why we like the PSP Go! and want it to succeed

SJGohan3972 said:
I have to admit this article and that picture in particular has swayed my opinion of the PSP Go slightly and I'm starting to think it might not be so bad.

I have a question: Do you have to have a PS3 to download PS1 games to this? If I got this I would want to play FFT (the original and the PSP remake) on it but I do not have (nor do I plan to get) a PS3.

Yes you can. Even currently where the psp doesn't have a built in store, you can still plug it into a pc, buy a ps1 game on your psn via a ps store website and download it directly to the psp.

Check out my game about moles ^

Around the Network
axumblade said:
I commend you on this rainbird. I am tired of hearing people talk negatively about the PSP Go! as well. Are you getting it launch day too? If so, what color are you planning on getting? I want the white one.

I'm hoping for launch day, but it all depends on money I don't think it will be a problem though.

And I think I want a black one to go with my PS3, though I haven't really thought much about it. White is much easier on the eye after all, and I will be spending some time staring at the PSP

axumblade said:
Rainbird said:
axumblade said:
I commend you on this rainbird. I am tired of hearing people talk negatively about the PSP Go! as well. Are you getting it launch day too? If so, what color are you planning on getting? I want the white one.

I'm hoping for launch day, but it all depends on money I don't think it will be a problem though.

And I think I want a black one to go with my PS3, though I haven't really thought much about it. White is much easier on the eye after all, and I will be spending some time staring at the PSP

I might wait (just in case the Assassin's Creed Bloodlines bundle will be a PSP Go! bundle instead of a PSP-3000.I'm actually really excited at the idea of getting rid of UMD. I love the PSP but I don't like carrying around UMD's with me everywhere I go.

I'm gonna be looking around for some good deals, though I don't think I'll be able to wait for that bundle to come out. Unless we know it will be a PSP Go bundle, and that it will be awesome

Loooolz my PSP is the fat one, it pwns every other version!!!

axumblade said:
Rainbird said:

I'm gonna be looking around for some good deals, though I don't think I'll be able to wait for that bundle to come out. Unless we know it will be a PSP Go bundle, and that it will be awesome

It should be announced by then since Assassin's Creed 2 is coming out at the end of this year. The PSP game is supposedly coming out a month beforehand so we'll know by then. If not, I'll be a wee bit angry. x.o

Yeah, we should

But aren't the PSP and home console games only like a week apart?

Around the Network

Allow me to be the opposing viewpoint to this thread:

A. The PSP Go! removes all access of the consumer to the used game market. You can't buy used or discounted games from stores, or borrow them from friends. This is by design.

B. The PSP Go! screen is 12 percent smaller. That is comparable to the difference between a 50" Plasma and a 42".

C. The PSP go costs approximately 80 dollars more than the regular PSP.

D. The regular PSP can already play games straight from the Memory Card. It is very easy to do. You never have to use the UMD Drive on that item. You can even back up your games on a memory card. That option is removed for the Go. The system was changed to prevent piracy, and the borrowing of games.

E. (Speculation, but very likely)Due to the lack of UMD drive, the PSP Go is cheaper to manufacture for Sony than the standard PSP, yet it costs 80 dollars more.

F. (Speculation, and would love to be corrected by someone)The PSP Go, at the time of this writing, to my knowledge, offers no significant upgrade to multimedia features, besides adding more memory than the standard Sony memory card can hold. That said, multiple cards are superior to a single pool of flash memory, with much more potential storage space.

G. It is unknown how the exchange program will work, and it is unknown how firmware updates will affect your current setup. Frankly, none of us know if we will have to pay to play the games we bought, or if we will be able to play roms anymore on our multimedia device.

H. The buttons were moved slightly, not redesigned, and the problems of the orignial devices controls persist.

H. The main arguments for the console are, "it is more portable, and looks cool," and in all likelyhood the "it looks cool" argument will wear off with its newness.

I. The battery life will be the same as on the regular PSP models, despite having no UMD drive, and being smaller. Why?

J. The sales of this item will send a clear message to Sony. What that message is, is debatable. (speculation--If they try this strategy at the launching of the PS4, I wonder how Microsoft would react. For sony's sake, let's hope they DON'T think this should become standard business practice.)

K. (opinion)The article in the OP, ran out of good things to say around number 2. Instead, it actually lists many of the main complaints and then poorly attempts to defend the console, or spin the truth, for example, when they mention the controls being improved, without mentioning the most common complaint about the go, the controls, and how they have not been redesigned)

/bow

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I'll probably buy it. Looks sweet.

the system itself is alright. kind of would like a second analog but its not the end of the world that it doesn't have one. what i'm more concerned with is the games. also, does anyone know if there will be a graphical improvement on it?

ZenfoldorVGI said:

Allow me to be the opposing viewpoint to this thread:

Be my guest

Just remember that I am not arguing whether or not the PSP Go is a better machine by facts or whether or not it will be better for the mass market. This is why I like the machine, and also why others on these forums think it is superior to the PSP-3000, nothing else.

A. The PSP Go! removes all access of the consumer to the used game market. You can't buy used or discounted games from stores, or borrow them from friends. This is by design.

And a design I have no problem with. I, personally, despise buying used games, and where I live, buying used games is about as futile as something can get. 9/10 times I will be able to find a brand new copy of a game for less than what GameStop sells them for used. Furthermore, the DD only business model of the PSP Go completely eliminates any reason for me to buy used games in the first place, seeing as I only buy used games if getting a new copy is completely out of the question.

The only issue I have with this design, is the sharing of games between friends (as you mention), though Sony have proved themselves to be open about the sharing of PSN games already, so I am not really worried about this.

B. The PSP Go! screen is 12 percent smaller. That is comparable to the difference between a 50" Plasma and a 42".

And the DSi is about 12% thinner than the DS Lite, but many are still choosing the DSL over the DSi. I personlly think the half-an-inch downgrade of the screensize is quite negliable, and since it is still 0,55 inches larger than a DSi screen (~17% bigger), and at the same time a technical improvement on the screen of the PSP-3000, I will still be quite happy with it.

C. The PSP go costs approximately 80 dollars more than the regular PSP.

Well, nobody is arguing against that. From the OP:

Rainbird said:

I'm not going to argue about the price, because there isn't really anything to argue about. We can all agree that it is too high for the consumer, but that wont stop all of us from getting a PSP Go!, and we can still appreciate what the PSP Go! is bringing with it.

D. The regular PSP can already play games straight from the Memory Card. It is very easy to do. You never have to use the UMD Drive on that item. You can even back up your games on a memory card. That option is removed for the Go. The system was changed to prevent piracy, and the borrowing of games.

And the PSP Go comes with 16 GB built in memory, which only adds to the ease of use. The new Media Go software releasing for the PSP alongside the Go will also allow for easy backup on your PC. I don't see doing these things to prevent piracy is a bad thing. Have you seen the recent software sales on the PSP (outside Japan anyway)? They're atrocious, and if this will help Sony garner support and software sales for the PSP, then I am all for it.

IT IS a shame however, that Sony is hitting the simple borrowing of games from friends, but as I mentioned earlier, Sony have proven themselves open to the sharing of PSN games, so I think calling the out PSP Go out on this before we even know how the system will work, is a little early.

But all in all, when the existance of the PSP Go brings more games to the platform, I don't see how anyone can complain. If you buy a PSP Go, then that is a choice you make, and will not affect how other PSP owners play their games, but if the PSP Go helps generate more sales for 3rd parties, then both PSP-3000 and PSP Go owners will benefit.

E. (Speculation, but very likely)Due to the lack of UMD drive, the PSP Go is cheaper to manufacture for Sony than the standard PSP, yet it costs 80 dollars more.

Yes, a very reasonable assesment. But since creating the PSP Go can be seen as a giant boot to the head of retailers, Sony are "making it worth their while".

-------------------------------------------------------

Also, here's an interesting tidbit that Koller revealed: "We've changed the model from a margin perspective from the 3000, so there are changes throughout," he explained. "We've made it very worth their while to carry the PSP Go."

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/06/ars-talks-digital-distribution-with-sony-plays-with-psp-go.ars

-------------------------------------------------------

All in all, saying just how much Sony are "ripping off" the consumer is very hard

F. (Speculation, and would love to be corrected by someone)The PSP Go, at the time of this writing, to my knowledge, offers no significant upgrade to multimedia features, besides adding more memory than the standard Sony memory card can hold. That said, multiple cards are superior to a single pool of flash memory, with much more potential storage space.

Depends on what you view as multimedia functions I guess.

The addition of Bluetooth allows for the use of Bluetooth headsets, as well as interaction with other Bluetooth devices, such as your average cell phone. The PSP Go is also confirmed to have ingame XMB (though we don't know the extent to which it will be useable), and if you take the rumor of the PSP Go getting an "App Store" of its own, and couple them with the Sony comments of "being open to non-gaming applications on the PSP Go", then I think applications of this kind will be available.

The PSP Go will also launch with built in calender and clock applications, along with its own version of the PS Video Store.

Finally, this is just in: PSP Go processor more than 40% faster than original

G. It is unknown how the exchange program will work, and it is unknown how firmware updates will affect your current setup. Frankly, none of us know if we will have to pay to play the games we bought, or if we will be able to play roms anymore on our multimedia device.

Many things are unknown about the PSP Go it seems (as Sony has claimed that the PSP Go had the same hardware specs as the 3000, yet the link I gave above shows otherwise).

H. The buttons were moved slightly, not redesigned, and the problems of the orignial devices controls persist.

If by "problems", you mean "the lack of a 2nd analog stick", then I can't take it seriously. I hope that's not what you mean. And as far as I can tell from the impressions of the PSP Go, people are liking the new button layout better than the old one, as illustrated in the OP. If I missed something, please enlighten me.

H. The main arguments for the console are, "it is more portable, and looks cool," and in all likelyhood the "it looks cool" argument will wear off with its newness.

Which is why Sony is keeping the 3000 on the market. I agree that those two are pretty much the main attractions with the PSP Go, though I would like to lump all the smaller improvements into a third (and smaller) attraction, because they are certainly a good part of the deal to me when compairing the two devices.

I. The battery life will be the same as on the regular PSP models, despite having no UMD drive, and being smaller. Why?

Because the battery is smaller, due to portability. Also, the CPU has increased clockspeed, which also uses more power.

J. The sales of this item will send a clear message to Sony. What that message is, is debatable. (speculation--If they try this strategy at the launching of the PS4, I wonder how Microsoft would react. For sony's sake, let's hope they DON'T think this should become standard business practice.)

Agreed. The whole "premium" business is stupid. Not a whole lot more to it

K. (opinion)The article in the OP, ran out of good things to say around number 2. Instead, it actually lists many of the main complaints and then poorly attempts to defend the console, or spin the truth, for example, when they mention the controls being improved, without mentioning the most common complaint about the go, the controls, and how they have not been redesigned)

Like so many others before, I don't think the PSP Go is for you, which, again, is why Sony is keeping the 3000 on the market. I'm not saying your complaints are wrong, by no means, but I am as excited about the PSP Go as ever before, and since few of your complaints haven't already been brought up and discussed to death several times over, I doubt you will change the opinion of those who are still looking forward to it.

/bow

/bow

axumblade said:
You can add PS3 Dualshock and Sixaxis connectivity to the bluetooth features list. ^_^

http://www.qj.net/Another-look-at-the-PSP-Go-controller-connectivity-in-game-XMB/pg/49/aid/132523

Awesome! I was thinking of doing an update due to this: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=78798&page=1

But now I will definitely due an update!