By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Infamous is the FASTEST SELLING Exclusive New IP on PS3!!!! (in NA)

InFamous becomes fastest selling new exclusive IP on PS3

by Nick

Sucker Punch's newest PS3 exclusive, inFamous, made it's retail debut two weeks ago on May 26.  On top of a surprisingly decent marketing campaign, which included a trailer prior to the summer blockbuster, Terminator Salvation, and several TV ads, the game sold 176,000 copies it's first week on the market.  InFamous has set the bar for new IPs that are exclusive to the PS3 in the US, making a stronger first week debut than any other new IP before it.  Following number come courtesy of VGChartz and NPD.

-InFamous(May, 2009) - 176,000 in it's first week

-Resistance(Nov.,2006) - 42K first week
-Motorstorm(March, 2007) - 107K first week
-Warhawk(August, 2007) - 70K first week(not including downloads)
-Lair(August, 2007) - 69K first week
-Heavenly Sword(Sept., 2007) - 75K first week, 130K first month
-Uncharted(Nov., 2007) - 32K first week, 117K first month sales(ed. note: WTF?)
-Haze(May, 2008) - 91K first week, 102K first month
-LittleBigPlanet(October, 2008) - 110K first week(this one's a bit of a technicality, as GameStop started selling the game 2 days before release)

Of course, established IPs have sold quite a bit more in their first week.  Metal Gear Solid 4 sold upwards of 400,000 units, while established first party IPs such as Killzone 2 and Resistance 2 both sold  close to 300,000 units in their debut.

And if you aren't one of the nearly 200,000 PS3 owners who have picked up the game, then get off your ass and do so!  The game has been received extremely well amongst critics(including a 9.3 from ourselves!).  Voice of Truth, signing out!

http://www.ps3center.net/news/3197/infamous-becomes-fastest-selling-new-exclusive-ip-on-ps3-/

A year ago, if you told me THIS would happen, I would've laughed at you!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

ROFL I already posted this like 2 days ago. Gotta be quicker then that darth

rafichamp said:
ROFL I already posted this like 2 days ago. Gotta be quicker then that darth

lmao, Darth is losing his touch

And, inFamous is awesome....Im so close to the platinum

The game is just fantastic!!

I am playing through it as evil now

Good for INfamous, bad for general new ips exclusive for the ps3.
Gears of War almost outsold all of them togethers first week sales. ^^

Around the Network

@Taz & rafichamp

lmao they use NPD date, that came out 2 days ago right........

good for infamous

I'm not martin luther king. I don't have a dream. I have a plan

Sell a man a fish you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish you just ruined a perfect business opportunity.

We didn't emerge out of the stone age because we ran out of stones. Its time to be proactive not reactive.

I wonder where all he trolls who said it flopped went.

@JEDE3

but the trolls said ALL THOSE other games in the list in the OP flopped too (at their launch)

I'm glad that new IP's are getting some love. I hate it that the last 2 generations of video games seem so stuck on established IP's. That being said, I'm a Nintendo fan, and I don't really think 176K is all that hot compared to most big games on the Wii. It's just that people don't give new IP's a shot, and Nintendo mainly pushes established IP's, or advertises the heck out of them (like they've done with WiiFit).

Hardware is only a means to enjoy great games!