By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official May 2009 NPD Thread (Data at 6:30 PM EST)

Aj_habfan said:
darthdevidem01 said:
The more I see these numbers the more SHOCKED I am that, SONY don't really need to drop PS3's price yet, its doing absofrikkinglutely fine!

they can ride out the summer easily

It's up from last month, but it is still a poor number.

Up from last month.. cause they had an extra week

May was 5 weeks

April was 4 weeks

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
@Aj_Habfan

after looking at Xbox 360's sales how can you say Ps3 is doing poor?

It sold over 40,000 less.

Sure it doesn't seem much on it's own, but PS3 is so far behind in install base it can't afford to keep trailing in marketshare like that. I'm not saying they should drop the price if it doesn't make sense profit-wise, but these numbers are nothing to get excited over.

I am shocked, ergh people you do realize companie's PAY NPD for those numbers

they aren't gonna "toy around" with them

thats so childish kirby007

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

gebx said:
Aj_habfan said:
darthdevidem01 said:
The more I see these numbers the more SHOCKED I am that, SONY don't really need to drop PS3's price yet, its doing absofrikkinglutely fine!

May was 5 weeks

April was 4 weeks

Never noticed that, very good point.

PlayStation 2 117K (122,000)
PlayStation 3 131K (132,000)
PSP 100.4K (103,000)
Xbox 360 175K (170,000)
Wii 289.5K (373,000)
Nintendo DS 633.5K (448,000)

It really looks like Vgchartz absolutely nailed the PSX family and Xbox 360 numbers but was completely different on the Nintendo family for some unknown reason. Props to ioi!!! I love Brett!! <3 <3 <3. (P.S the official ioi worship squad needs to be started up, I volunteer myself for its 1st member)

UFC 2009 UNDISPUTED THQ Xbox 360 679.6K (212,237)
Wii FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD NINTENDO OF AMERICA Wii 352.8K (369,903)
EA SPORTS ACTIVE BUNDLE ELECTRONIC ARTS Wii 345.8K (305,999)
UFC 2009 UNDISPUTED THQ PS3 334.4K (154,309)
INFAMOUS SONY PS3 175.9K (101,006)
POKEMON PLATINUM VERSION NINTENDO OF AMERICA NDS 168.9K (183,668)
MARIO KART W/ WHEEL NINTENDO OF AMERICA Wii 158.3K (173,202)
PUNCH OUT!! NINTENDO OF AMERICA Wii 156.9K (156,584)
X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE UNCAGED ED ACTIVISION BLIZZARD Xbox 360 120.7K (87,357)
Wii PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA Wii 109.8K (148,244)

Wow!! UFC looks like it was completely undertracked for both the Xbox 360 and PS3 SKUs!! Go THQ!!! Man I love to see that they have released a game which sold well. It could be caused by perhaps more sales in places like Walmart etc? Im not sure.

Wii Fit, Ea Sports, Pokemon, Mario Kart, Punch Out all look like they are right on the money or there abouts! Go ioi!! Remember that worship squad? I propose a really cool white username tag for us!

Tease.

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:

... who knows, as long as you aint got proof, it is likely

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Aj_habfan said:
gebx said:
Aj_habfan said:
darthdevidem01 said:

May was 5 weeks

April was 4 weeks

Never noticed that, very good point.

May was four weeks, not five.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

darthdevidem01 said:

I'm not saying their toying with them, i'm just saying their wrong and ioi's right

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I'm shocked at those numbers. The sales for UFC don't make sense at all. I barely even heard of that game. Wii extremely low, about to get outsold by PS360, probably next month.

ioi said:

I suspected we may be a little low on UFC but maybe 500k combined, 1m just seems crazily high - we saw nothing like those sales.

Nintendo said last week that they had sold 1m DSi and 400k DSL in the last 2 months, NPD say 1.7m

Wii hardware was way up the last two weeks on Active / Punchout in all our data and yet it was way down on April overall?

None of it really makes a lot of sense, as always with NPD!

If listen to what nintendo says, then why don't you listen to Microsoft when they said they sold a million copies of Ninja Gaiden 2 like a year ago and your numbers are still under a million.