By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Don Reisinger (cnet) calls Wii "Watered Down Experience"

I am reminded of the Cheetos commercial - "Blah, blah, blah."
Having just watched Fight Club again last night, I was thinking the whole article "You are not special, you are not a unique snowflake, what you say is not important nor makes a difference in the world."

I think I realize what fuels me - an underlying hatred of all media.

Around the Network

you cant argue that dead space and ghostbusters are UNDOUBTEDLY watered down

he did give credit to games that arent

i personally agree, and i hate the publishers that think 'hey people like dead space, survival horror game, lets bring it to wii . . . . as a lamo on rails shooter! yeah!'

lameeee

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889

Its a rather cherry picked argument. I wish he would include full fledged 3rd party offerings. he cherry-picked 4, well heres 4 games that I cherry-picked that disprove his premise. And that just from about 6 months of releases.

Tiger Woods 10 Wii being > the HD counter parts according to reviews that are avaialble

Murumasa being a beautiful and well made game

Madworld

The Conduit

Check out the VGC Crunch this Podcast and Blog at www.tsnetcast.com

I actually don't see why you all are complaining. As a Nintendo die hard here, I fully agree.

These are my current complaints.

Third parties do constantly 'casualize' their Wii versions of games. Why is Madden cartoony on Wii? Madden should be Madden. If they want a cartoony football game they should start a new IP. There are plenty of examples of this and primarily it has to do with devs not putting the right resources on Wii versions. They have been typically creating a PS2 game and porting it to Wii with waggle. That's bullshit.

This E3 was the first time I have see a few quality Wii built games that are in turn ported to PSP/PS2.

Even third party exclusives have been relatively poor quality and too focused on the perception that any Wii game must be 'casualized'.

Hell, even Nintendo's own ip's have pissed me off. Why is it excitebots is excitebots? Why the fuck isn't it excite truck 2 with more maps, online, wii speak, etc. Why does NSMB Wii not have online w/ wii speak? Why does animal crossing Wii look/feel exactly like the GC version?

Nintendo needs to enforce some standards. One should be online for any game w/ multiplayer and if online, it must utilize Wii Speak. Can't claim any BS about power on that as even Xbox did this.

Hell, even the obviously less powerful Wii Sports Resorts appears to not have online or wii speak. wtf. Its a goddamn WM+ pushing game with massive multiplayer abilities. Online play w/ Wii Speak should be a given.

I love my Wii, but Nintendo really knows how to fuck shit up sometimes.

@pyramid head -  Until of course, they port the on rails experience to the 360 Natal and PSMotion setups, right? Then it'll be the best thing ever?

Around the Network
Chrizum said:

This line made me cringe though: Red Fly Studio said its version will be focused more on puzzle elements. In other words, it's an entirely different, less "next gen" experience.

me too.

Bascially if the graphic doesn't look as good, it's a watered down version. There is no chance for games with inferior graphic to be better even though gameplay is adjusted to fit the style.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

bardicverse said:

@pyramid head -  Until of course, they port the on rails experience to the 360 Natal and PSMotion setups, right? Then it'll be the best thing ever?

oddly enough dr reactionary, no.

im not buying natal or the ps3 motion shit.

i did buy a wii about 16 months ago, and got umbrella chronicles, which reminded me of how much i HATE on rails games.

its crazy i post more on nintendo than 360 or ps3, i say one thing about a wii game, and its like 'fanboy attack!  go play your 360!  screw you!'  lol

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889

Mr Khan said:

CNET's always had an anti-Wii bias, right? As did CNET's subsidiary, GameSpot (oddly, GameFaqs seems rather supportive of Nintendo)

CNET's bias towards Wii and PS3.  They just prefer anything as close to PC as possible.

Poor guy, he will never play next gen platform with all these motion based controllers...

What fails here is the repetition. If he bothered to argue the merits of the Wii as often as the negative aspects he would be a credible news or opinion writer. HE IS NOT A JOURNALIST.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.