By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - ARS giving Tiger Woods 10 a Glowing review, too

source

Review: Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 showcases MotionPlus

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 brings the MotionPlus to market with a variety of features, game modes, and options... not to mention the best swing mechanic ever seen in golf video games. Ars reviews the title and concludes that, for once, the Nintendo Wii has the absolute best version of a sports title.

The MotionPlus peripheral for the Nintendo Wii may have launched on the second of this month, but who buys a $20 accessory just to look at? The real coming-out party for the hardware was yesterday, when EA released its newest version of Tiger Woods for the Wii. For $10 extra, the game comes bundled with the MotionPlus unit, and the spiffy new plastic sleeve that fits your existing Wiimote and the new hardware. While it's rare that Nintendo allows its hardware to hit shelves without an accompanying Nintendo release—Wii Sports Resort doesn't come out until next month—Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 serves quite nicely as a showcase title for the new peripheral.

Title Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10
Developer Tiburon
Publisher EA
Price $49.99 Standard, $59.99 with MotionPlus Shop.ars
Platform Nintendo Wii

Simply moving through the menus and options of the game gives you a taste of how much work and effort went into making this year's release fit on the Wii, as the presentation is smooth and attractive. Don't worry about being overwhelmed by the myriad of game types and options and events available; it's best to simply take some time and explore the game, finding out how you like to play. Do you want to take part in a tournament? Simply play a few rounds by yourself? Invite a friend over? Ditch real golf altogether and play disc golf to show off your new hardware? All of this is available to you, and more: this is more of a suite of golf-type activities than any kind of structured game, making it an unholy time-sink for afternoons spent perfecting your swing.

That perfection is going to take time. The MotionPlus adds an extra layer of precision and complexity to your swing, meaning if you don't have control of your swing you're going to be stuck with a bad hook or slice shot. You don't need to swing for the fence; the best way to nail your shots is an even, measured swing. Pull back and watch Tiger do the same. Remember your follow-through. 

The game mirrors your actions in a very intuitive way, and once you understand what the MotionPlus demands, the game opens like a flower. Learn how to tilt your wrist correctly and you'll be urging the ball to gently fade or draw around trees. There is technique here, and while it may not mirror real golf, you also don't need to worry about hitting buttons or figuring out complex meters for your swings. Pick a club, take a look at where your ball needs to go, and hit it there.

While drives allow you to work on form, the real art in Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 is in the chip shots and putting. This is where you'll need to really feel what you're doing and take the power of your swing down a few notches to add some finesse. I'm not exactly sure how I know how to take 70 percent off the power of my swing, but after a few rounds, I do. You're able to play by feel and muscle memory. Putting is even better. There is a power and precision meter on the left-hand side of the screen, but it's safe to ignore. After an hour or so of practice you'll be playing by feel, and it's amazing how natural and intuitive the game becomes.

Not that you'll be nailing every putt—the game is still hard—but you'll know that it's your fault when you mess up, not the game's. Besides, long putts should be tricky; you'll have earned your celebration when you nail something that looks impossible for the birdie. Soon you'll be playing through the tournaments, taking your created character all the way to the top. You can also go online and play live tournaments against others, or take part in the "Play the Pros" feature. This takes the results from real professionals on the courses included in the game, recreates those conditions, and lets you play against their scores. It's not the same as actually playing against Tiger, but it's close, and it adds a nice spot of replayability, giving you a reason to constantly improve your game. The game can also sink its hooks into the Forecast Channel on the Wii, meaning that if you turn the feature on, you can play on the real courses with the real weather that those courses are experiencing at that moment.

The game is filled with clever options and added value. The All-Play difficulty allows anyone to try the game and compete, and the selection of party games is also a fun distraction from the sometimes-frustrating main game. Disc Golf is also a wonderful addition this year, and it really shows off what the MotionPlus can do. This mode will take some practice to master, but disc golf is available on all 27 courses, and it feels robust enough that it almost could have been its own game. The fact that it's included here as a side feature shows just how committed EA was to creating a sprawling, full-featured title.

If you're new to the game of golf, PGA Tour 10 will explain terms, rules and strategy to you. If you're new to the Wii, you'll be able to start with a number of helpful assists in the game, and then bring the difficulty up as you improve. There is a full career mode, online play that bypasses Nintendo's restrictive system with EA's online system—albeit still without voice chat—and a full selection of party games, multiplayer modes, and options to fine-tune the experience to play just how you want. Add this to the quality of the core gameplay with the MotionPlus and you have a game that's going to appeal to core gamers, casual players, sports fans, and early adopters. This isn't just a good sports game, this is a good Wii game. Considering that buying the bundle gets you $10 off the price of the MotionPlus, this is a great excuse to make your controller a little longer. You won't be sorry.

After playing the game on the Wii, with the new hardware, it's hard to think about going back to the 360 or PS3 versions of Tiger Woods. This is the definitive version.

Around the Network

can't wait to pick this one up!

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

I'm never interesting in Golf before, but after it is another good game for exercise.I think i'll try this one. :)

So an "All-Play" mode is still in there? I thought EA had disposed of that.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Can't wait to get this one as well!

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, N64, Gamecube, Wii, XBOX360

Around the Network

I've never owned a golf game before, this might change that though.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

I haven't owned a golf game since Jack Nicklaus golf on the NES lol. I enjoy playing real golf, but have never really been enticed to play the video game variety.

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, N64, Gamecube, Wii, XBOX360

Mr Khan said:

So an "All-Play" mode is still in there? I thought EA had disposed of that.

I believe they are doing away with the all play brand.

I haven't played golf game in years. I got bored due to the input system. It was all about timing rather than skill. I might look up this one.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

hmm interesting, Im just not into realistic golf, hope a new Mario Golf games come along with Wii Motion Plus though