By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Tretton: PS3 Motion Controller Might Be Back-Compatible

CAL4M1TY said:
nitekrawler1285 said:
tuoyo said:
Sounds like more of Sony's false claims and PR bullshitting before something comes out. I am 200% sure this ain't going to happen.

If they are making motion controls for the games they currently have in production once those have shipped I can't see it being terribly difficult for most of thier studios to patch the same controls into older games. If they host the updates for free on PSN more developers might be inclined to follow.

P.S. Anyone think the Heavy Rain pushed to 2010 because of Sony's motion controller?

I'm not sure they can change the entire control scheme with just a patch (but i wouldn't know for sure).

Also, developers would have no incentives to do this (unless sony paid them, which in their current state, it would be stupid to), since it doesn't entice people to buy the current game (with motion controls) and you'll be doing it for (for most games) the less than 2 million people that bought it at retail assuming they still play the game or have any interest in it anymore.

So this would be useless to EA Sports, Infinity Ward, Activision, Naughty Dog (with Uncharted), 2K sports and a bunch of other studios who make money by pushing the same product every year with minor updates OR developers with single player only games.

So whether this is feasible or not (I believe it's not), it'd be a really poor business move (for developers and for Sony who'd have to provide them incentives to waste money).

Lair did it.  It's possible

Sony's developers want to as an incentive to sell the device.  I only mention updates for free if someone thinks their game might be noticably enhanced(think RE4: Wii Edition) I'm sure Sony would help them.

I can think of plenty of single player experiences that could use it.

Someone else has been posting in the other threads about how interface takes up about 3% of a games budget so i believe it's feasible since most of the developers will probably be copying what they've done or tried on the Wii before making for little noticable difference in cost if any.  They also let you change the control scheme in so many games that I can't see it being terribly difficult.

I was just thinking they may wanna do the Indego Prophecy analog "gestures" with motion gestures.