By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Halo 3 runs at 640p native XD

@Fuzzmosis, fkusumot:

Linky now worky!

VGChartz' RTF-editing plugin has a nasty habit of attaching extra spaces at the end of URLs... but it's fixed!

Around the Network

Definately more than a little impressive, but who's holding the 2 Cameras?

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

No idea, but that last bit where he has the two ships twirling in sync with each other requires otherwise inhuman coordination...

Halo 3 could be a brilliant game...but if true that it runs at 640p then it's not a Next Gen HD game for me.
I reckon Bungie have done this so that they can get more graphical content into the games...ie. more polys, textures and models.
I reckon PS3 developers should do the same as well. They are trying to make games 1080p, when most people that even have an HD set can't view above 720p. Maybe it would be a good idea for them all to develop all their games for the next few years at 720p, this would allow them more processor time to have more polys, textures and models and physics as well.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

davygee said:
Halo 3 could be a brilliant game...but if true that it runs at 640p then it's not a Next Gen HD game for me.
I reckon Bungie have done this so that they can get more graphical content into the games...ie. more polys, textures and models.
I reckon PS3 developers should do the same as well. They are trying to make games 1080p, when most people that even have an HD set can't view above 720p. Maybe it would be a good idea for them all to develop all their games for the next few years at 720p, this would allow them more processor time to have more polys, textures and models and physics as well.

Well, obviously! 640p isn't HD! However, I prefer lower resolutions but richer game worlds than higher resolutions for the sake of higher resolutions. As an example, look at True Crime: Streets of LA for the original Xbox - at normal resolution it looked alright, but at the crisp 720p resolution the game world just looked sterile by comparison.

But looking at these shots, I don't know what the real resolution is anymore. Seeing the images on the forum that Gran Turismo linked to ( http://forums.gametrailers.com/showthread.php?t=187120 ) it looks quite nice, and pretty hi-res to me...

Around the Network
sieanr said:
akuma587 said:
I am interested to know why this problem exists, whether it has something to do with the DVD limitations or with the graphical capabilities of the 360 itself.

I really hope you dont think the size of the storage medium impacts what resoultion the game runs at.

You can run anything at a higher resolution, but that doesn't mean it will look better.  Without enough storage space, you can run into problems with storing enough texture information so that the higher resolution actually makes a difference.

So to answer your point, It doesn't affect what resolution it runs at, but it does affect which resolution they target the game to run at.  This is why Blu-Ray and HD-DVD's look better running at 1080p than a DVD upscaled to 1080p.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Using lower res textures also saves space on the DVD. I guess probably the most important reason to cut down the resolution, Halo 3 isn't the only XBox 360 game which isn't really rendering its graphics in 720p.

Another reason may be to put less pressure on the GPU, as the GPU tends to overheat (RRoD) a lot of Microsof's consoles.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Some XBox 360 games which I heard aren't really HD (just lower res rendering upscaling towards HD, like for instance PS2 games or DVDs being played on the PS3):

Tony Hawk's Project 8 1040x584
PGR 3 and Tomb Raider 1024x600
Perfect Dark (like Halo 3, 193,280 pixels less than HD) 1138x640

Anyhow many people won't notice as many (70%) XBox 360 owners in the US (Halo 3's main market) according to NPD research are unaware of high definition graphics.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

The game looks gorgeous, so who cares what it's native to. And it looks gorgeous when I have it set to 1080i.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Girl Gamer Elite said:
So is Halo 3 a good game?

It's an awesome game.  Really fun if you like FPS

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)