By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The 20 Most Innovative Games Ever Made

Decent list, tough there are some notable absences to... and at least 3 games that dont deserve to be on that list :|

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

@Esmoreit: The least I can say is that your list is several orders of magnitude better than the OP's...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Thanks NJ5 - I didn't put much thought in it and there where a lot of deserving titles that fell just out of my top 20. Wii Fit is one, as where Half Life, Mario Kart, Chrono Trigger, Micro-Machines, Alone in the Dark and Maniac Mansion

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

my disagreements as follows:

doom? maybe wolfenstien where they did it all first was more innovative.

Resident Evil? please go play alone in the dark. res evil improved the graphics and sound.

Bioshock? deus ex 1 and 2? system shock 1 and 2?

i agree with some of those, but some are obviously not the first.

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889

lol maniac Mansion - first game that makes no sense and near impossible to beat, but you can fry hamsters in the microwave

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

If you are going to do a list of the most innovative games "EVER" you should know your gaming history...
There is so many games that better deserve to be in that list than for example FFVII. I'm talking about games that not only were innovatice compared to prequels or other games in that genre, but innovative for the gaming scene.

A very important game that hasn't been mentioned yet:
Defender (First side-scrolling game, what had gaming been without it?)

also howd simcity not make it?

i remember when that came out on mac . . .

mind blowingly different

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889

I can't believe that there are MULTIPLE FPS games on the list for minor improvements of the genre, while whole genres are not represented, for example tycoon games, anything round-based, point and click adventures, sidescrollers, every racing, and nothing from earlier than the '90s.

It just looks like they listed some of the most popular games ever, (and I mean internet-popularity, not sales) and called them the most innovative.

There are so many games, that stretch the definition of gaming, like The Graveyard, The Path, or The Endless Forest, all from a single developer, or weird flash games like You Must Burn The Rope, The Game, or the Grow series, and thousands of others.

These games are truly weird, and by definition, different from everything else, new experiences. Of course, they are that weird, that they won't ever became popular, not even among the "hardcore".

I don't agree with a number of them. Especially putting warcraft in there instead of dune 2. Dune 2 is the mother of rts and invented the genre. Did it quite well too.

Check out my game about moles ^

monlosez said:

The 20 Most Innovative Games Ever Made

GamePro's seen a lot of stuff over the last 20 years, and we're unveiling the twenty most innovative games that changed video gaming forever. From BioShock to World of Warcraft, See what games lead our list of ground-breaking titles that rocked the gaming world to its core.

How can someone claim this for games like Bioshock, Call of Duty 4, and LittleBigPlanet when it hasn't been forever yet, let alone a few years.