By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Microsoft has to do something about the PC pirates.

They implement the HDCP for media companies, even though they barely get any use on PCs. But they don't seem willing/able to help out PC developers by implementing the same type of seamless content protection for PC games. Why can't they help implement a system which makes it easier to people who pay for their games to play them and harder for people who don't. They could you know, make it the reverse of the current situation.

They have a perfect opportunity to get AMD/Nvidia to implement hardware content protection right into the video cards themselves. It doesn't even have to be harsh, all it needs to do is give the pirates a worse experience than the people who pay for the games. They could do something simple like deny any future DX11+ features for people who have pirated games. If they can keep the hardware of the Xbox 360 encrypted, im sure they could do likewise for the PC games and make it a complete PITA to bypass. Make people click 100 UAC screens or something to show how keen they are to pirate the games. Im sure if someones willing to take that punishment they deserve to not pay for the game or something.

Im not an online gamer, im a single player gamer and really the PC is suffering for a lot of these kinds of experiences. I hardly play my PC anymore because the PC is a shadow of its former self and a game platform to me and pretty much its all down to piracy. The games cost more to make but the number of people paying for them seems to be dropping.

Tease.

Around the Network

Not even Tim could stop piracy, let alone Microsoft :_:

Tim is powerful but this evil is too great for even the most mighty of gods. Microsoft can stop the piracy, but they choose not to. I don't care if theres are 4,000,000,000 negative posts about MS for doing it, because if the experience is seamless then its only the pirates who will complain and they can go to hell. Actually I would be happy with 4,000,000,000 negative posts because then I would know its working.

Tease.

Everyone i know that has a 360 pirates games and has a hacked box. Thats about 15ppl right there and as far as i know they only buy games that they want to play online with (cod, halo, fifa, pes mostly). But games like Shaun White, UFC, Simpsons, Star Ocean, Mass Effect and Gears and many more, are all pirated versions.

I played som UFC just the other day at my friends house, that was a pirated version. And became a light heavy weight champion! I rule!

Oh.. this thread was aimed soley at PC. Well the same guys dl pirated versions of PC games aswell. And movies. And hosts private hubs with all kinds of pirated stuff on them.

Around the Network

I partly agree with you Squllium, but before many people would only support those methods if an easier way of identifying if a game will run well enough on a given system.

MAFKKA said:
Oh.. this thread was aimed soley at PC. Well the same guys dl pirated versions of PC games aswell. And movies. And hosts private hubs with all kinds of pirated stuff on them.

Thats unfortunate,

Tease.

Piracy in general, for me atleast, comes down to easy access. Id pay for all my stuff if i for example had the movie thingy for the PSN over here, or if a service like Net Flix would be released over here.

Just look at services like Spotify for music. People are really responding to a great service and dont mind a membership fee if the service can provide them with good content and easy access.

Steam is also bigger than ever with a "community" feature and easy access when it comes to playing with your friends. And its easy to dl games and keep them updated with patches etc. But steam dosent have too much content, not to satisfy all the different PC users.

So aslong as there isnt a great service that can provide great content, is user friendly and can provide easy access for dl, there will be piracy. Imo.

You will never be able to stop piracy, never, its like a wart the more you cut it the bigger it becomes. Piracy will always find a way.

Yes sounds like a great idea or if they pirate their computer should get melted from the inside.