By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - CVG: Star Ocean: Last Hope review - 5.9

Garamond said:
Zlejedi said:
Garamond said:
Hey, at least this game is better than Cross Edge.

It's not easy task to find game worse than Cross Edge :)

Maybe one day, the 360 can get an exclusive JRPG just as bad as Cross Edge. Until then, there's Too Human.

It already has two worse, Operation Darkness and Zoids, and it's as good as spectral force 3.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

All these jrpgs are great just not FF, KH, and DQ good.

mrstickball said:
Given the fact you don't even own a 360, why are you posting reviews here?

Does this mean I can post that 65/100 review of InFamous by GameCritics and say 'This sums up what I saw on the gametrailers videos of the game' in the Sony forum?

Rethoric question spotted.

Initiating sarcasting retort...

Hey look, another thread on the 360 forum with more ps3 owners posting on it than 360 owners. Let me guess what's the excuse this time, a poor review of an exclusive?

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

The 360 is getting a lot love from rpg games but its not the love many of them want. Star ocean, last remnant and even blue dragon are not the best. It's good to see the Xbox getting more exclusives but I think there is no JRPG bar set yet which means developers are not worried about quality as much as they would be if a FF or DQ were on the selves. Some of the games are even produced by SE. After playing blue dragon and checking out the others on friends consoles I know I'm waiting for true quality.

yuna01 said:
The 360 is getting a lot love from rpg games but its not the love many of them want. Star ocean, last remnant and even blue dragon are not the best. It's good to see the Xbox getting more exclusives but I think there is no JRPG bar set yet which means developers are not worried about quality as much as they would be if a FF or DQ were on the selves. Some of the games are even produced by SE. After playing blue dragon and checking out the others on friends consoles I know I'm waiting for true quality.

Tales of Vesperia and, to a lesser extent, Lost Odyssey are quality JRPGs. I think ToV set a fairly high bar on the 360and even higher one was set with Valkyria Chronicles on PS3. I just wished that JRPG love would continue.

There really isn't a whole lot to look forward to this year on consoles.

Around the Network

Yeah ToV and VC look really good. Losy Odyessey doesn't impress me much though. Its made by a good developer but there is something about it that makes it less appealing. I was really just referring to the xbox 360 library for jrpg games which doesn't have a AAA jrpg title. They have plenty of western rpg games but they can't quite say they are the console with jrpg games if they all are not that great. This could change with the release of FFXIII though.

yuna01 said:
Yeah ToV and VC look really good. Losy Odyessey doesn't impress me much though. Its made by a good developer but there is something about it that makes it less appealing. I was really just referring to the xbox 360 library for jrpg games which doesn't have a AAA jrpg title. They have plenty of western rpg games but they can't quite say they are the console with jrpg games if they all are not that great. This could change with the release of FFXIII though.

Lost Odyssey is fantastic. It's so much like FFX in a great way.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Lulz, this review is BS.

SO4 was just fine, not the best in the series but a decent one.

Bitmap Frogs said:
mrstickball said:

Does this mean I can post that 65/100 review of InFamous by GameCritics and say 'This sums up what I saw on the gametrailers videos of the game' in the Sony forum?

Rethoric question spotted.

Initiating sarcasting retort...

Hey look, another thread on the 360 forum with more ps3 owners posting on it than 360 owners. Let me guess what's the excuse this time, a poor review of an exclusive?

In other words, since my gripe is not with the 360, but JRPG fanboys, I should have just posted this in the gaming section, even though the game is in fact a 360 exclusive?

Rainbird said:
mrstickball said:

Yes.

And why do I have to own a 360 to post a JRPG review? I want a 360, the 360 has many games that I want, and if you think I am posting this to be anti-360, then you are wrong.

There is one thing I don't understand this generation though, which is the praising of JRPGs that are apparently below par. Of course, these things are subjective, so I can't of course ever be right or wrong, just like critics can't either, but looking at this thread, I'm not alone it seems. And that is one of the things I wanted to find out, and I am in fact happy to see that there are people out there who agree with this reviewer, people who do play JRPGs as well.

I think darth put it pretty well actually.

darthdevidem01 said:
LordMatrix said:
You can never go off of a review scores especially with JRPG titles most are terribly reviewed.

Because most of them ARE terrible, in fact this is a common misconception, especially on vg chartz.

JRPG's are well reviewed, many of them are......FF, Persona, DQ, Valkyria Chronicles, Lost Oddesy

The ones that are actually bad aren't reviewed well like any game & this gen JRPG standards have been pretty bad, thats because the JRPG that rules them all & the one that always sets the bar for quality isn't out yet.

Star Ocean 4 recieved a double 4 out of 10 and a double 5 out of 10 from the two biggest gaming magazines in Sweden. They called it the death or the Japanese Role Playing Game.

And these people are completely nuts about JRPG's. They are the reason I started playing them at all. Both reviews also held Star Ocean 2 up as an example of how to really make things right.

This is invisible text!